Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 03:09   #2311
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
Hi folks. I am planning to install 3M CR70 on my Tata Nexon for windshield alone. I do have Fastag stuck on the windshield so when I checked with the installer (who quoted 9k in Teynampet - Chennai), he said that it is not a problem to install over the Fastag and it will not have any issues in future like air bubbles coming around it. I know that once Fastag is removed, it will be damaged and I have to buy a new replacement one. I am not convinced with installing windshield sun film over the Fastag. Can someone shed some light on this. Is it fine to install it over the Fastag or should I remove it and get a new Fastag after installing the sun film. Also how safe is getting the sun film cut over the Fastag part alone? Did anyone had any issue by installing it over the Fastag or cutting the sun film over the Fastag area alone? I have it stuck on the upper left side of the windshield which was stuck by the dealer them self when I bought the car.
For peace of mind and wallet (worth 9k), get a new fast tag and install it over the sunfilm. Cutting of sunfilm around the tag area would require precision and from outside one can clearly see the fastag but no the occupants which is a clear indication that sunfilm is installed.
Old 11th March 2020, 08:13   #2312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks. I am planning to install 3M CR70 on my Tata Nexon for windshield alone.
If you are going for 3M, then suggest the sunfilm be over the Fastag. Reason: the 3M film most likely has metallic component which will cause the Fastag not to be read correctly. Do check earlier posts in this thread.
Old 11th March 2020, 08:30   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone shed some light on this. Is it fine to install it over the Fastag or should I remove it and get a new Fastag after installing the sun film. Also how safe is getting the sun film cut over the Fastag part alone? Did anyone had any issue by installing it over the Fastag or cutting the sun film over the Fastag area alone? I have it stuck on the upper left side of the windshield which was stuck by the dealer them self when I bought the car.
Our car's windshield sunfilm is over the fastag for the past 5 months. The shop where it was installed suggested to stick it over the fastag. He said that the sunfilm won't come off. Like said, I have never seen a bubble or a part of it unwrapping or whatsoever. Cutting it out might work well over removing the tag if you are concerned!

If it's of high quality, better cover the fastag. I'm not sure about the hindering of the functionality of fastag if it's under the film!
Old 11th March 2020, 08:35   #2314
Team-BHP Support

Since summer is around the corner, sunfilms seem to be getting popular. This also means that there will be some newer brands in the market.

I met a colleague yesterday who got sunfilm on his Hyundai Venue from the dealer. I asked him about the brand and he was telling me it is some UK brand which is cheaper than 3M. The brand is some Ultra-Kool.

Obviously it is unheard of. The website is http://ultrakol.com/uk.html

If you do some more digging you will see all reviews and FB page are Bangalore based. It is basically a Bangalore outfit. The UK and Hong Kong address are all dummy address locations pointing to an apartment complex in UK and some random HongKong address.

I don't really know how the quality of the film will be over time but can tell you this is just a rebranding exercise. Find some unbranded sunfilm supplier, create a brand and sell to customers under your own brand.

This is the new trend in car accessories and detailing industry. Everyone has their own brand of PPF, ceramic coating and Sunfilm which are claimed to be better than 3M, Xpel, Llumar, Suntek but at a fraction of the cost.

Personally I can never be comfortable with these brands on my car. I would rather go with the likes of Garware if I wanted a lower cost option not with these overnight brands that started out.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 21:14   #2315
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. I found that replacement Fastag is Rs.100 so I will better get the current Fastag removed and apply the sun film on the windshield and install the replacement Fastag over it. I have almost narrowed down to 3M CR70. I will update here post installation.
Old 15th March 2020, 23:47   #2316
BHPian

I recently installed CR70 on my EcoSport's front windscreen. I feel that dashboard reflections on the windscreen have increased manifold after installing the film. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 16th March 2020, 19:39   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I recently installed CR70 on my EcoSport's front windscreen. I feel that dashboard reflections on the windscreen have increased manifold after installing the film. Has anyone else experienced this?
Hey! Yes, I noticed this in my Honda Brio, while I applied a local brand with 70% visiblity. When discussed with the dealer, he said that it's due to polish applied on the dash which is causing reflection on the windshield. I removed it and planning it to get it done from a 3M outlet.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:08   #2318
Distinguished - BHPian

Want to put window film on my villa windows as the upper front side faces west, and thus collects the post-noon heat till sundown. Priorities are heat rejection followed by glare reduction followed by privacy (mirror finish). Any tips? Don't want to spend a packet either. The requirement is for ~50 square feet.

Looking at Garware's 'Architectural' films but any real-life experiences will be highly appreciated! https://www.garwaresuncontrol.com/ar...ral-films.html
Old 21st March 2020, 10:14   #2319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Want to put window film on my villa windows as the upper front side faces west, and thus collects the post-noon heat till sundown. Priorities are heat rejection followed by glare reduction followed by privacy (mirror finish). Any tips? Don't want to spend a packet either. The requirement is for ~50 square feet.

Looking at Garware's 'Architectural' films but any real-life experiences will be highly appreciated! https://www.garwaresuncontrol.com/ar...ral-films.html
The guy who did my old car's sunfilm is a garware wholesale supplier. I contacted him for my house window film as well. Below is the contact detail:

https://medawindowfilmincorporation.com/contact/ Name: Shreyas

He is not a member but follows the forum closely. He will remember me if you tell him my name.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 11:17   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Since summer is around the corner, sunfilms seem to be getting popular. This also means that there will be some newer brands in the market.

I met a colleague yesterday who got sunfilm on his Hyundai Venue from the dealer. I asked him about the brand and he was telling me it is some UK brand which is cheaper than 3M. The brand is some Ultra-Kool.

If you do some more digging you will see all reviews and FB page are Bangalore based. It is basically a Bangalore outfit. The UK and Hong Kong address are all dummy address locations pointing to an apartment complex in UK and some random HongKong address.

I don't really know how the quality of the film will be over time but can tell you this is just a rebranding exercise. Find some unbranded sunfilm supplier, create a brand and sell to customers under your own brand.

This is the new trend in car accessories and detailing industry. Everyone has their own brand of PPF, ceramic coating and Sunfilm which are claimed to be better than 3M, Xpel, Llumar, Suntek but at a fraction of the cost.

Personally I can never be comfortable with these brands on my car. I would rather go with the likes of Garware if I wanted a lower cost option not with these overnight brands that started out.
Thanks for putting it out Vid. I also saw another report on this from mod Suhaas.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4767066

Probably need to ask him to share his experiences.
Old 21st March 2020, 11:21   #2321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Thanks for putting it out Vid. I also saw another report on this from mod Suhaas.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4767066

Probably need to ask him to share his experiences.
I saw Suhaas post after I posted this below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

HE says the film is good but he had local really cheap ones before this so his reference might not be ideal.

As mentioned I would go for a Garware over Ultrakool. The 3M is good but overpriced for the risk of sunfilm and actual benefits of 3M vs Garware.

Also Shreyas who deals in Garware also has another brand Solar Gard from Saint Gobain which is more than Garware but cheaper than 3M.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 20:35   #2322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

I got Garware Reflective architectural film done on my home windows @Rs 70 per sq ft in 2013. Get it changed every 4 years and it should be fine. After that there is some fading of metallic effect, wrinkling, peeling from edges and also one window has the outer layer flaking off like dry skin. Yet to replace mine at the 7 year mark because it's not really "failed" yet and is still serviceable.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 12:32   #2323
BHPian

Looking for a good Sunfilm for our new Fortuner 4x4.

Got a quote from V Kool - V70 for front and A70 for sides and rear. How's Lumar, 3M and others and how are they priced?
Old 11th June 2020, 21:22   #2324
BHPian

Motorheads,
I have a rather unique query. I don't know if this topic has been discussed before & I'd like your comments on it.

I've recently purchased a Kia Seltos D AT. The car has covered just around 400 kms. I was wondering if a clear sun film can be installed on the outside of the front windshield?
- Is it possible?
- Will it create any visibility issues?
The reason for my query:-
I have an 2011 SX4 ZDi done around 1.56L kms. The windscreen on the car was full of tiny scratches & swirl marks. It made driving at night a hard task. Thankfully last year the windshield glass got cracked due to negligence by the A.S.S & I got it replaced free of cost.

I would prefer not having this scenario on the Seltos. So I was wondering if getting a sun film on the outside will solve this issue. Even if the film gets minute scratches it can easily be replaced. I dont mind replacing the film every year or so.
Is this a viable option?
If not, what else can be done for these minute scratches?

Regards,
Powertrain
Old 11th June 2020, 21:51   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Motorheads,
I have a rather unique query.
If not, what else can be done for these minute scratches?
I wouldn't recommend any film on the windshield, whether on the outside or inside. While it may help reduce glare, frequent cleaning leads to micro swirls/scratches and often requires replacement.

A better option would be to simply get the windshield polished once every 5 years or whenever night driving becomes tough, this removes most swirls and greatly improves visibility. If its still not enough, then replace the windshield itself.
shashank.nk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks