Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 15:00   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

If you are only using it to charge mobile phones, then you don't have to worry about it overloading the system.
Thanks. I think I will purchase this adapter at the earliest.
Old 15th February 2013, 16:04   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Installing a 12V Car Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Yes it is. You will need something like this.

How much of load it will be able to handle is another issue. I don't have much idea about that.
Gosh! 12v DC to 220V AC...is it only me who is not comfortable with this idea?

BTW, laptop adapters are typically 19.6 V DC adapters...is it not possible to charge them with more 'humble & modest' adapters??
Old 15th February 2013, 16:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is. You will need something like this.

How much of load it will be able to handle is another issue. I don't have much idea about that.
In the Description part, it is given that "It can recharge Apple iPhone First Generation, Cell Phones, PDAs, Digital Cameras, Camcorders, and Tool Battery Packs - But not for use on Laptops..... The compact power inverter powers up any electrical device up to 40 watts.

Saket would have to find another similar tool which can handle the load of Laptop.
Old 15th February 2013, 16:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Gosh! 12v DC to 220V AC...is it only me who is not comfortable with this idea?

BTW, laptop adapters are typically 19.6 V DC adapters...is it not possible to charge them with more 'humble & modest' adapters??
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
In the Description part, it is given that "It can recharge Apple iPhone First Generation, Cell Phones, PDAs, Digital Cameras, Camcorders, and Tool Battery Packs - But not for use on Laptops..... The compact power inverter powers up any electrical device up to 40 watts.

Saket would have to find another similar tool which can handle the load of Laptop.
Yes you are right. I did not read the description of the item. I do know however that such devices are available that can be used to charge laptops. Belkin makes one, for example.

saket77, as for the conversion from 12V DC to 220V AC, I am not quite aware of the technicalities of it, but then this is how a carputer is made to run. IIRC, the inverters used there are capable of providing upto 200W, which should be good enough to run a low power PC. There are quite a few on the forum itself who have successfully implemented similar installations.

UPDATE: HERE is the Belkin device I was talking about. RMS 200W and peak 400W. 20A fuse. Should be enough to charge laptops, etc. IMHO.

Again, as I have said before, the load on the electrical system is a completely different concern from the capacity of being able to drive different devices. That will probably depend on multiple factors like your battery, alternator rating, other power consuming accessories in use like ICE (amp & sub), higher rated headlamps, louder horns maybe, etc.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 15th February 2013 at 16:54.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 17:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE: HERE is the Belkin device I was talking about. RMS 200W and peak 400W. 20A fuse. Should be enough to charge laptops, etc. IMHO.
I use this Belkin invertor and this is more than enough to charge a laptop.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 11:19   #36
BANNED

How can i fit a car charger in a car not even having a charger slot?

Hi friends

I have Swift LXI and there is no slot to put a car charger in it. Is it possible to install a car charger somehow? If yes, how much will it cost (not the car charger but to install a slot, connecting wires between battery and slot, etc)?

I live in Noida.

Thanks.
Old 1st March 2014, 20:34   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How can i fit a car charger in a car not even having a charger slot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mehra View Post
Hi friends

I have Swift LXI and there is no slot to put a car charger in it. Is it possible to install a car charger somehow? If yes, how much will it cost (not the car charger but to install a slot, connecting wires between battery and slot, etc)?

I live in Noida.

Thanks.

Go to any accessory or battery shop and ask them to install a cigarette lighter.

They will install the 12V socket and give you the cigarette lighter too(DO throw that away). Its a 10 minute plug and play fitment and costs only about 250 bucks.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 21:21   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

When installing the accessory socket/cigarette lighter, please ensure that the source of the voltage is taken from the accessory point which will be equipped with a fuse in order to prevent any mishaps. If there is no such fuse or point then add a fuse in between the lighter and the source. . I have seen these local accessory shops taking the source from random places like the battery, or the same supply of the audio system etc. Hence, please be careful. Usually the factory fitted sockets will have a fuse dedicated to it.

Last edited by audioholic : 1st March 2014 at 21:23.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 21:30   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
When installing the accessory socket/cigarette lighter, please ensure that the source of the voltage is taken from the accessory point which will be equipped with a fuse in order to prevent any mishaps. If there is no such fuse or point then add a fuse in between the lighter and the source. . I have seen these local accessory shops taking the source from random places like the battery, or the same supply of the audio system etc. Hence, please be careful. Usually the factory fitted sockets will have a fuse dedicated to it.
The wiring is all there. At least it was there in my F10D WagonR. All that is needed is the 12V socket. Plug and play.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 23:33   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
When installing the accessory socket/cigarette lighter, please ensure that the source of the voltage is taken from the accessory point which will be equipped with a fuse in order to prevent any mishaps. If there is no such fuse or point then add a fuse in between the lighter and the source. .
What is accessory point? How does it look like?
Also, do i need to tell them that fit a fuse if there is no fuse already present?
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:54   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

All cars have a connector/socket or a wire that is used to power accessories like the audio system etc. This is turned on when you turn the key to the Acc. position. This will be protected by a fuse which will ensure that any short circuit or malfunction will not lead to further damage. The audio system will be connected to this point. Not sure how it is in the Swift LXi but my cars have separate fuses for audio system as well as the cigar lighter. However as Shreyans told, if the car already has wiring for the cigar lighter, then the job is simple and is plug and play. If it doesnt, then its better you get a separate fuse installed just in case something goes wrong. Just told to be on the safer side.
Old 14th February 2016, 21:40   #42
BHPian

Re: Installing a 12V Car Charger

I bought a car power socket splitter which comes with 3 power sockets and can be plugged into the power socket comes with the car. So that I can plug-in both my dashcam (which have its own power adapter) and my mobile.
Old 15th February 2016, 09:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Re: Installing a 12V Car Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
My only intention is to charge cellphones.

Some are saying that not all brands of cell-phones can be charged.
Almost any cellphone will take a micro-USB. This is one standardization which has been universally accepted. However, I may add that some cellphones need more than 1A, which is what the charger units typically give. For example, my MotoX is not happy with the 1A. When I used my old htc 1A mains unit it kept on flipping between charging and discharging. The Motorola Turbo unit (mains again) is capable of churning out 2.4A and then steps down.

Yes, if you have other motives as well like laptops then an inverter is what is needed. Make sure to get a good branded unit !

Last edited by sgiitk : 15th February 2016 at 09:53.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks