Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 22:26   #16
BHPian

Modify your stock Brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Hi guys,
I have read in many posts that people who upgrade their engines(zen-b or zen-e)have to upgrade their brakes by installing esteem brake kit..
I want to know what does this change involve?

1)Is it that the discs of esteem and rotors are installed on the zen.
2)are the rear drums also swapped?
3)master cylinder and what else needs to be changed?

If we do upgrade do we need to change rim size from 12 to 13'?

i drive a 02zen mostly on highways and the braking has given jitters many times,have serviced,replaced disc pads,done bleeding basically all the works,hence the basic idea was to buy esteem stuff and upgrade the zen braking...

Kindly tell me as to how its done..
Thanks....
Hey just today only i asked a tuner mechanic about these question! If u have a more powerful engine you can go for imported pads! That may have to go on slight modifications to into the stock calipers of a zen! I will let you know which cars pad will almost suit zen!
And you cannot change the rotors for that you can get some line vents on it from Laith works! It will not completely polish the rotor! There should not be more that 2 such lines on one side!
If one is in horizontal, the next one that is in the back side can be a vertical one when compared to the other one!
I will upload sum illustrated graphics for this work!
This must improve your stoppage power!
Old 5th March 2009, 18:23   #17
BHPian

How about the Zen diesel front brakes?
The rotors are different from the regular petrol zens.

Can anyone confirm if the master cylinder is different too or the same as petrol zens?

P.S. I read somewhere in the forum that esteem type 2 brakes are a direct fit on the Zen.
Old 5th March 2009, 18:33   #18

You can change to Esteem Type II Brakes - Need to change the Rotors, Calipers, Pads and Pump
Old 6th March 2009, 21:05   #19
BHPian

Let me ask some other tuners that whether esteems are direct fit ona zen!
will continue in the forum after that!
That all are required only if we are swapping to more powerful machine, say baleno etc..
Old 7th March 2009, 03:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

yeah but even if i swap an esteem engine i still want to upgrade brakes.because the faster you go the faster you need to stop.

rev
Old 7th March 2009, 12:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
yeah but even if i swap an esteem engine i still want to upgrade brakes.because the faster you go the faster you need to stop.

rev
To a certain limit hi-performance brake pads with the stock rotors and shoes can work! Or else you have to undergo some sort of modifications on your stock rotor! Laying anti-polishing marks on the both sides!
Old 20th May 2009, 13:31   #22
BHPian

Let me put my query this way,

I have a 2002 Zen running on Esteem rims, can somebody tell about the compatible parts of Esteem's brake assembly that can be directly fitted to improve braking in Zen.

I already have bigger rims so braking by stock setup is itself weak.

Post no. 18 does have a reply but I am really confused by esteem versions, pl. elaborate on Esteem -I & Esteem - II

As far as i know, firstly Maruti 1000 was launched ( esteem shape with black bumpers), then Esteem with a carbureter engine & finally Mpfi version. In between rear lamp cluster was also changed. Is the last generation called Esteem - II

Last edited by breezydrive : 20th May 2009 at 13:44.
Old 20th May 2009, 13:53   #23
BHPian

For Zen, Esteem rotors are direct fit. Need not even change the calipers, can go for semi-metallic pads. This will really improve the stoppage power.
One of my friend running zen with 1.6GTi engine and Weber carbs with this same brake set-up. He told he`s having enough stoppage power!
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:29   #24
BHPian

Some more detailed info...pls

Anyone of this thread changed their brake system or modified it to brake better.

Also, There are 2 things to it.

One, quick fix/cheaper to increase braking power by 10-25% and Other, is to change lots of things/costlier to make it 40-80% better.

Can someone throw light on what things need to be done in each solution.

Some elaborate replies will be very helpful.

Thanks.
Old 24th September 2009, 19:08   #25
BHPian

Brake query

Hi Guys .. since we're talking about brakes here, can anyone help me with info. on how i might improve the braking in an Optra ? Is it possible to install rear discs ? Please help. Thanks.
Old 25th September 2009, 00:12   #26
BANNED

@devrajman : instead of using TVS , KBX i found Rane to be better brake pads for front a Zen (There is always option of performance pads too like EBC etc).Also if you want more stopping power swap the knuckles,hub,calliper,disc from Diesel Zen .With the mentioned parts it is a direct bolt on.
Regards
Old 25th September 2009, 13:26   #27
BHPian

So, how much does costs?

Also, all of the parts you mentioned are for front. Anything for rear?
Old 25th September 2009, 13:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
@devrajman : instead of using TVS , KBX i found Rane to be better brake pads for front a Zen (There is always option of performance pads too like EBC etc).Also if you want more stopping power swap the knuckles,hub,calliper,disc from Diesel Zen .With the mentioned parts it is a direct bolt on.
Regards
Rane brake pads are for front discs. Also Zen diesel setup is also for fronts. Anything for rear drums?

How does this Zen diesel setup costs, also what is different that makes it more powerful?
Old 6th February 2010, 19:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Back to square one , any body has upgraded their zen brakes ?

What is the difference between ,petrol zen ,diesel zen and esteem rotors ?

There are 2 part numbers for zen rotors -

55311M60B30 S DISC FRONT BRAKE BY 827.00
55311M72F00 S DISC, FR BRAKE (VENTILATED) BYE 538.10

B = 1000cc , Y = zen ,E=esteem .

So what is the difference between ventilated and normal disc ? .Ventilated is supposed to be better , they why the low cost ? any one has a picture of ventilated rotor of zen ?

Last edited by black12rr : 6th February 2010 at 19:38.
Old 6th February 2010, 22:24   #30
BANNED

Let me add up If we fit in the ventilated rotors on apetrol Zen will we need to change callipers too.
I did check up with Maruti and they said Hub/Knuckle of Zen Diesel and Petrol are same
so my understanding is get the rotors and calliper and the booster (from Zen Diesel or Esteem Type II )and i am good to go for my Petrol Zen .But can some one confirm the same.

Thanks & Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks