Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 20:58   #1
BHPian

Changing Hand-Brake Location - HM Contessa

I'm currently working on modding my Contessa, and would like to know if the hand brake lever can be shifted so that a arm rest and vents for rear AC can be added . the ideas ive got are as follows and would like your suggestions and opinions. Any new ideas would be even better !
  1. Change location similar to design in 2005 HONDA CRV ,along the side walls of the center channel .
  2. Remove coin box below gear lever and change the hand break lever to the kind you have on boats,which has a forward/backward movement rather than upwards/downwards
  3. Foot pedal type such as the Mercedes
  4. Motorize the handbrake , add a on/off switch and can only activate the handbrake when ignition is on .
Ive added a picture to show rough locations . A big thanks to a fellow bhpian for the picture , unfortunately its been a while since i saved it on my comp, so i apologize for not mentioning/forgetting your name and making use of your ride's photograph.

Changing Hand-Brake Location - HM Contessa-handbreak.jpg
Old 7th August 2008, 10:24   #2
BHPian

Interesting project, which year model is it? My 1.8 GL already had rear AC vents.
Old 7th August 2008, 10:27   #3
BANNED

Hi,

What you require is possible but you will have to sacrifice on messing up your console in getting the finish right.

There are also universal hydraulic handbrakes available which can be installed either vertically or horizontally.

Viper
Old 7th August 2008, 11:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

What you require is possible but you will have to sacrifice on messing up your console in getting the finish right.

There are also universal hydraulic handbrakes available which can be installed either vertically or horizontally.

Viper
The dash is being completely modified anyhow viper .Concept is very simple and clear cut , but the final design is not finalized .Plan to get the dash custom made outta wood and Ive added pictures of original design and the mods im planning purely to shift the music system away from the gear knob.the centre channel is missing in the pic , but it would be similar to whats on the conti apart from the gear lever stem being a bit more hidden with the paneling sloping a bit more(flexible of course for lever movement).

gauges from "autometre",steering to be grafted in wood ( only wheel , hub remains same). rest stay the same but hidden behind new dash layout
. The pictures show a steel and gloss finish. but my layout will be purely wood grain (a very dark stained one) . added the original and also the concept with an extra arch in the middle.
Changing Hand-Brake Location - HM Contessa-0703sr_04_z1958_chevrolet_impala.jpg

Changing Hand-Brake Location - HM Contessa-after.jpg

would love more info on the hydraulic handbrakes as well Viper . Appreciate your input . thanks in advance .
Old 12th October 2008, 11:30   #5
BHPian

If you are still not done with any major alteration in the shifting you can do the procedure as below.
  1. Tap the Flexible ducts from the blower with 2 one inch flexible pipes inserted well inside to collect maximum airflow..make a elliptical hole in the line and insert it so that there is enough air getting into the pipe as well as goibg over it to the dash.
  2. Run the two lines through the sides of the center console and line the pipes with foil for insulation.
  3. Mount a ready made arm rest just behind the handbrake and ensure you adjust the HB play to minimum so that you don't have to extend it to max to get it working.
  4. The top cover can be altered to increase the reach for the comfort of the front passengers.
  5. Now connect the pipes to the air outlet in the rear of the armrest.
  6. This sounds like a crude job but is practical and really works if done with some precision and good workmanship.
  7. Ensure you are using a Superking Blower- 8000RPM for the additional air flow and throw.
Alteration with the HB means you have to also alter the cables and extension.You can use 3 mm steel wire rope and is availabe in any length and can be either bolted or crimped with a alloy button on either ends for a factory finish.The out can simply be cut and inserted before the crimping and also taped at the join to prevent any mud getting in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks