Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 03:50   #46
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Offroader

Please define "off-roader" !!!

In case you have misunderstood, we are talking about a Tata Estate (and not a Tata Sierra, which could be modded to become an off-roader)

yes OFFROADER..and I no i didnt mis understand. if you consider the "sierra" to be an offroader, then yes the estate can do the same..

it is exactly the sierra with a heavy and bigger body.. suspension upgrades/lift can make it an OFFROADER. sierra turbo's engine/safari 1st gen engine and trans will make it a 4wd.
Old 16th July 2008, 14:26   #47
BANNED

Hi jeevan,

Came across this lovely looking Estate.

It looks clean when ORIGINAL.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Tata Estate .. ideas for mod ?-060708_1810.jpg  

Old Tata Estate .. ideas for mod ?-060708_1811.jpg  

Old Tata Estate .. ideas for mod ?-060708_1812.jpg  

Old 17th July 2008, 09:51   #48
Senior - BHPian

The car looks really original, and maintained, the only addition is the all round body beadings which are an eyesore.
Old 17th July 2008, 15:29   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The car looks really original, and maintained, the only addition is the all round body beadings which are an eyesore.

Yes jayD , i agree with this, but i still felt that a lot of justice is done for that car.

Could not get the interior pics, but i must say they too are in great shape.

Lets hope jeevan does take some cue from these pics.
Old 21st July 2008, 05:51   #50

nice . I really like it except for the black beading all around .

Finished with the front suspension work with spacers .
let me get done with the mechanics before I go for the exteriors .
the inside of the car is kind of okay . not any great .
Old 21st July 2008, 11:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevan View Post
nice . I really like it except for the black beading all around .

Finished with the front suspension work with spacers .
let me get done with the mechanics before I go for the exteriors .
the inside of the car is kind of okay . not any great .
Jeevan! After the spacers installation how is the ride quality and any marked difference you noticed. All the best for future modifications and do post pics for the same.
Old 21st July 2008, 19:14   #52

i'll try to take some pictures shortly . I am kind of tied up with my work
but always have a sweet corner for this car . I don't quite understand why there are not many cars such as this today . Ride quality is excellent and not tiresome at all !!! I have driven the baleno for so many years now but i can't vouch that it was as comfortable as this . Maruti has some good line up of cars but, they don't know the potential of customers on the whole . So that's being very poor . I had a tough time with them when they said everything was alright with the car when actually there was a major prob with the cam shaft itself ! Could have seen them in consumer forum but , it would have been a waste of my time . I have decided to pamper this car well and keep it safe with me instead of buying a more contemporary car . What say ye ?

After the spacers the car glides and i think it has got an excellent engine under the hood all set for the highway . It has almost run 99k kilometers . Nearly touching the 1 lakh mark but , the mechanic said that the engine is in fine condition . He advices me to use a synthetic high viscosity grade oil always . I always say yeah yeah .

(I know even if i burn my fingers it is not going to be as bad as before.)
Happy motoring .
Old 21st July 2008, 22:56   #53
Senior - BHPian

if you are seriously looking for the cosmetic mods might i suggest the dual round headlights from the contessa, and for the tail lights you can get the safari's.

as far as the other mods go might i suggest the blood red color instead of the blue, this was one of the OE colors from tata at a time. looks stock and good.

the dual tone might not look as good in this car.

well if you are looking for performance mods, then you should seriously consider getting the tata 407 idi tubo engine it would be kick A.S.S. on this car and no mods required as its a direct fit and would do the job really well.

well you can get that engine when the car is up for a rebore, and would do real justice to this beast, other wise if you can source the 3.0L tata safari DICOR engine its even better.

this is car to me is too nostalgic we use to own one and had to sell due to sentimental reasons but you have one now and i really hope to see it in person for the old time sake maintain it well mate.

kudos.
Old 28th July 2008, 05:53   #54

thanks for the tip rider60 . I am seriously considering a front face lift for the car . Contessa headlights would be great but a great deal of hunting around has to be done I guess . I am sure to post a lot of pictures after I am finished with the works and hope you all like it .
Old 28th July 2008, 22:02   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i think it has got an excellent engine under the hood all set for the highway . It has almost run 99k kilometers . Nearly touching the 1 lakh mark but , the mechanic said that the engine is in fine condition .
Excellent engine? Tata estate had a 68 bhp(483 DL?) engine, same as SUMO/SIERRA, which was later put into Safari, Sumo and turbo Sierra in the turbo guise. In NA form, this engine was anaemic at best and never quite capable of brisk acceleration. I am frankly surprised at how you can be satisfied with the acceleration(as indicated in one of your previous posts).

I am sure that 0-100 time for this engine was more than 25 seconds, in any vehicle that it was put into.

But I agree with your statements about the comfort of a Tata Estate and like it for the fact that it offered power everything(windows, steering etc), when it was a novelty item in India.

Last edited by kuttapan : 28th July 2008 at 22:06.
Old 29th July 2008, 18:36   #56

This car is not for brisk acceleration . Actually the underpowered feeling is because of the weight . Very poor power to weight ratio . And that's the reason why I seriously wish to turbocharge the car to see if that would tip the scale somewhere ( with the very same 207 engine ). The car is certainly for the highway and it's true essence is felt after 110 kmph ! Very tall gearing I guess . Max speed is around 130 kmph if I am not mistaken to be exaggerating . Highway and highway and more of highway that's what this car is made for . Very ruggedly built except for the poor electrical connections and switches . Can't compare this with contemporary vehicles but . Good acceleration is only a part of the collective driving experience .
Old 30th July 2008, 11:49   #57
BHPian

Quote:
This car is not for brisk acceleration . Actually the underpowered feeling is because of the weight . Very poor power to weight ratio . And that's the reason why I seriously wish to turbocharge the car to see if that would tip the scale somewhere ( with the very same 207 engine ). The car is certainly for the highway and it's true essence is felt after 110 kmph ! Very tall gearing I guess . Max speed is around 130 kmph if I am not mistaken to be exaggerating . Highway and highway and more of highway that's what this car is made for . Very ruggedly built except for the poor electrical connections and switches . Can't compare this with contemporary vehicles but . Good acceleration is only a part of the collective driving experience .
Probably, once you get used to this vehicle, you can extract more out of its motor and get a decent acceleration also. Do not ask me how, you all know more than me (and I do not know hot to explain technically )

Highway driving is pleasure in terms of comfort on this car and rear seat occupants will also be more happy during long drives. And not to forget virtually unlimited luggage space.

See to that there is not much heat leak from engine bay to cabin (especially in driver side, pedal area) for driver's comfort in long drives.

You are not exaggerating about max speed on speedometer. Have seen it doing 130.

Do not hit highway and do sustained 110+ until your radiator and engine over-heating related issues are resolved. But, whatever you try, the temp guage still would show slightly higher temperature than the 'mark' on the guage and mechanics say 'it is alright'.
Old 30th July 2008, 13:53   #58
BHPian

May you you should take some styling cues from the Nissan Stagea - although you might not have the power, but you'll have a sick looking estate!!
Old 30th July 2008, 16:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Tata Estate was a nice vehicle when it was launched, like the Sierra also was.
Unfortunately they never bothered upgrading the engine and other things but preferred to just allow these vehicles to die.
Perhaps they should plan a revival of both these vehicles, with the new 2.2 Dicor engine and all the bells & whistles that the tata's have acquired in these last 15 years of learning curve.
Im sure there would be takers as both these vehicles really look good and have plenty of space!
Old 30th July 2008, 22:34   #60
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on this Jeevan? PLs post some pix.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks