Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Electric Fuel Pump

Long time back when the diesel engines had not much evolved like today, I was told that to extract best performance and long life adequate fuel pressure in the lines was necessary for diesel pump & nozzles to work at their optimum. Over a period of time, the pump used to get weak leading to drop in fuel pressure in lines and laborious working of the engine. This used to result in fuel pump calibration that was a costly affair.

To ensure optimum performance, additonal electric fuel pump, either in the tank or near diesle filter intake used to be installed; not in all but in some where the owners were knowledgeable or the mechanic suggested so. In addtion to maintaining proper fule pressure, one problem that was the bane of all diesel owners (Anil, please listen) was of air interlock that was due to, no fuel, damaged fuel line, frayed 'o' ring of the filters etc., that resulted in stalling, misfiring etc. Electric fuel pump removed the air interlock problem.

Mercedes incorporated this in their diesels first. All their diesels, right from 190D have electric pumps in them. Cutting the story short, three days back my Scorpio crossed the 70K mark and I thought it is time for that additonal installation. I've installed an electric pump, that was on my agenda for long. Attached are the pictures. C&C are invited...

Electric Fuel Pump-dscf0004.jpg

Electric Fuel Pump-dscf0003.jpg
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Whats the cost, and any difference you have found in pickup etc.,
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi, i had this facet type fuel pump installed in my old carb Maruti. I installed it for the reason that i once got stranded on the highway at night becasue the arm of the stock mechanical fuel pump broke and the pump was rendered useless. That night i had to spend the night in the car on the highway and get the broken arm welded the next morning to continue my journey.

So the first thing that i did when i reached Bangalore was to change the stock mechanical fuel pump and i added this facet type pump in the engine compartment on the same fuel line. This pump would be activated with a toggleswitch mounted under the dash. But after that i didn't have any breakdowns and never had to use the electric pump as a backup.

There was an additional use though, everyday before i start the car i used to turn this pump on so as to prime the carb once the whirring sound goes away i will turn the pump off and start the car. And the car used to start with half crank each time i did this priming thing.

The pump cost me 800 bucks in Bangalore. It was a LUCAS-TVS make.

GD, i like your idea of mounting it on a Diesel engine. Never thought it would work the same for Diesels as i had found the pressure generated by this pump to be quite low.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, the breakdown is as follows:

Electronic fuel pump (MRP-Rs.640/-) Rs. 375/-
Installation Rs. 100/-

Time taken 1 hour.

I'm checking the FE. Pick-up seems to have improved but that could be purely psychological. My wife commented that the Scorpio seems to be lighter that before, when she went to Behror yesterday and she doesn't know of this installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Whats the cost, and any difference you have found in pickup etc.,
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have been this Guru Ji Safari one could switch on the AC also.

Waiting for review and from where did you got the pump ?
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sankar, you actually don't need 10 psi pressure in the fuel lines. This pump generates enough pressure to keep the air out of the fuel lines and keeps the nozzles well fed. Since this pump is before the diesel filter, whatever pressure it generates also gets dampened by the filters; I presume..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
GD, i like your idea of mounting it on a Diesel engine. Never thought it would work the same for Diesels as i had found the pressure generated by this pump to be quite low.
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

There is no review as such, but shall recount my experience with my '98 Safari on which also this pump is installed for the last 2 years.

"The pre pre Neandarthal TCIC Safari of '98 vintage too has
this contraption and probably this saved me the blues on my trip to
Mumbai in June '06, when approaching Udaipur the 'o' ring of the
diesel filter went bust. I discovered when I made a pitstop and opened
the bonnet. The filter assembly was all awash with shiny acetone mixed
diesel and a drop or two on the sand. Had it not been the electric
fuel pump, I presume it would've probably taken air and I would be
twiddling my thumbs in the middle of nowhere.

In the same condition without any repairs enroute and suffering a flat
at Ankleshwar, I concluded my round trip with 11.6 kms with full AC
and got the 'o' ring changed at my friendly, trusted, neighbourhood
garage"

This electric pump is available dime a dozen in all spare parts shop.

BTW, have not understood by what you ment below in bold...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Have been this Guru Ji Safari one could switch on the AC also.

Waiting for review and from where did you got the pump ?
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:09   #8
BHPian

these pumps are good for the first few months then are useless and are problem prone.

have used this pumps and am still using this have seen this pumps conk off on some cars.

for reliability its better to use the earlier contessa pumps are supposed to be very reliable.
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maybe, but the one in Safari has lasted 2 years and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
these pumps are good for the first few months then are useless and are problem prone.

have used this pumps and am still using this have seen this pumps conk off on some cars.

for reliability its better to use the earlier contessa pumps are supposed to be very reliable.
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Sankar, you actually don't need 10 psi pressure in the fuel lines. This pump generates enough pressure to keep the air out of the fuel lines and keeps the nozzles well fed. Since this pump is before the diesel filter, whatever pressure it generates also gets dampened by the filters; I presume..
Ok. So this is just to prime the filter and the diesel pump i guess. Then it should work just fine!
Old 2nd June 2008, 13:03   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All their diesels, right from 190D have electric pumps in them.
Interesting solution Gd1418. Did the Merc's use two i.e. a mechanical and an electric fuel pump? Was this retrofitted?
Old 2nd June 2008, 13:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

No idea GTO. My uncle purchased a 190D way back in 1976 and while going through its manual it said in big letters fitted with electronic fuel pump - "forget manual pumping and air locks".

I dunno if this was retrofitted..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Interesting solution Gd1418. Did the Merc's use two i.e. a mechanical and an electric fuel pump? Was this retrofitted?
What I've found intriguing and interesting is that this post of mine on E-pump has generated interest and some kind of surprise as if I found out the cryogenic technology for diesel run cars.

Is this being done for the first time by me? Has none done this or attempted something similar before?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 2nd June 2008 at 13:58.
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:02   #13
Team-BHP Support

A couple of months back I went to sec 16 noida for some work in the indica. A guy with a TCIC safari run 150,000+kms had come to the same mechanic with occasional missing problem.
He had gone for reconditioning of original fuel pump around 110000.
At around 130K he had gotten this pump, but missing had started again.

After this incident my mechanic told me about a accent which was missing, and how the A.S.S could not find the problem.
He had fitted in a auxilary fuel pump in the tank and missing problem went away.
After that he traced the fuel line and found a leak, due to which the car was taking in air.
This auxillary pump suppressed this problem.
After fixing the fuel line this extra pump(which was from a contessa!) was removed.

As for the safari guy, it appeared that his original FP had given up completely after around 150K and his car was running mostly on the extra pump in the tank!
Old 24th November 2008, 12:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

@gd1418: thanks for guiding me to this thread. What brand is the electric fuel pump ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks