Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2022, 16:48   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Electric Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
Thanks for reviving this thread!

I'm in the lookout for a hydraulic jack and powered cordless slug nut remover/fixer for removing tires if I get stranded with a flat tire. While tubeless tires help you limp to a nearby repair shop, I'd like to have this capability as a convenient alternative.

I'm not in favor of loading the battery of the car, and also not in favor of keeping the car running for the duration of the tire change. I do have an electric tire inflator though.

Regards,
lsjey
I am not sure anyone carries hydraulic jack in the car to deal with a flat tire while on the road. It will take up a lot of space and it would very heavy to load/unload from the boot. Electric jack might be a better portable option but most of these are "made in china" type - not very confidence inspiring.

Powered wrench is also an overkill just to deal with one flat tire. You are more likely to damage the thread of the lug nuts/bolts. Just carry a breaker bar with long handle (or long enough extension tube to be used with standard toolkit) to get proper leverage to loosen/tighten the lug nuts/bolts.

Overall I feel good old mechanical tools (scissor jack with long handle) and breaker bar with long handle will always work and don't take up space in the boot or money from your wallet.

It's a different matter if you are looking for tools for the garage as against using them on the road to fix a flat tire. To be honest, most flat tires are due to slow leaks from nails/screws and an electric tire inflator will suffice 99% of the time.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 17:27   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am not sure anyone carries hydraulic jack in the car to deal with a flat tire while on the road. It will take up a lot of space and it would very heavy to load/unload from the boot. Electric jack might be a better portable option but most of these are "made in china" type - not very confidence inspiring.

Powered wrench is also an overkill just to deal with one flat tire. You are more likely to damage the thread of the lug nuts/bolts. Just carry a breaker bar with long handle (or long enough extension tube to be used with standard toolkit) to get proper leverage to loosen/tighten the lug nuts/bolts.

Overall I feel good old mechanical tools (scissor jack with long handle) and breaker bar with long handle will always work and don't take up space in the boot or money from your wallet.

It's a different matter if you are looking for tools for the garage as against using them on the road to fix a flat tire. To be honest, most flat tires are due to slow leaks from nails/screws and an electric tire inflator will suffice 99% of the time.
Thanks @androdev!I do agree that electric tire inflator is sufficient for 99% cases.

If you can please share some pics/links on Amazon for manual jacks with long handle for leverage and also for wrench it will be very helpful. I drive a 5th Gen City with stock wheels and tires.

However, while searching on Amazon for hydraulic jacks, came across products that do seem to be smaller in size and hence posted in the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Taparia a well known tools company has three trolley Jack's that seem to be quite good. You can look up Taparia Trolley Jacks.

MyTVS has 12v impact wrenches available on their website.

I am however unable to find a Electric Scissor Jack that has been tried and tested by anyone here
@Traveler thanks! trolley type hydraulic jacks do take up quite a bit of space though. MyTVS 12v wrenches do make sense. Thanks again!

Regards,
lsjey
Old 21st September 2022, 20:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @androdev!I do agree that electric tire inflator is sufficient for 99% cases.
Actually in real life conditions, I mostly find the tyre inflators useless. Except for a puncture very close to my home, I always found re-inflated tyres losing air too quickly to be effective. So you need to fill air every 2 min (even if you fill upto 38 psi - which in fact often enlarges the puncture). Useful in cities if you have a puncture-wallah 2 min away, useless in highways / otherwise.

My preferred combo - a hydraulic jack for heavy lifting and a normal jack for backup / extra support in case the hydraulic fails when the car is elevated.
Old 21st September 2022, 22:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Actually in real life conditions, I mostly find the tyre inflators useless. Except for a puncture very close to my home, I always found re-inflated tyres losing air too quickly to be effective. So you need to fill air every 2 min (even if you fill upto 38 psi - which in fact often enlarges the puncture). Useful in cities if you have a puncture-wallah 2 min away, useless in highways / otherwise.
Hearing this for the first time. Have been using tyre inflators for over a decade and they work like a charm. Only if the tyre gets a big cut or sidewall damage, one will need to change the tyre. I have driven for days with small punctures, just topping up every day till I got the time to go to my trusted puncture shop.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd September 2022 at 06:53. Reason: punchers > punctures
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 06:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
@Traveler thanks! trolley type hydraulic jacks do take up quite a bit of space though.
Unless seeking super luxury of using Trolley Jack, Bottle Jacks are much convenient and small sized.
As a caution, after lifting the vehicle, I do fix up Mechanical Jack too. Hydraulics can give way any time. So, if kept raised for long time, additional Mechanical Jack safeguards from accidents.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 22:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hello Everyone, making this thread alive again. We bought a pre-worshipped Tata Tiago last year which was missing it's jack. I cannot figure out what jack to buy. Would preferably like to stick to a mechanical jack but Tata does not have them in stock. Is any other OEM (like Maruti) who has the correct type of jack? If yes, could someone please link to the Jack or the Model which would fit the Tiago?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks