Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 14:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Remember all these work through abrasion. This by definition requires that there should be some underlying paint. Remember to wax the area after removing the scratch. Even good old Waxpol rubbing compound should work quite well.

Fix It Pro looks like a clean lacquer pen. It will fill the scratch. i will wait for reviews. Also, the pen may not last too long, it will dry up!
Old 22nd May 2010, 23:00   #32
BHPian

How is Simoniz Fix It Pro or Fit it Ordinary ? Is there anyone who have tried this product? It says it will remove scratches which are not so deep.

Today some kids scratched my cars bonnet by drawing(15cm), paint is intact but polish has gone, any suggestion to repair it?

Fix It Pro available for 400 Rs from ebay, is that orginal one?

Old 23rd May 2010, 01:50   #33
BHPian

Just today, I got the T-Cut Rapid scratch remover. Got it since I need to remove a lot of small scrathces on my wief's i10. Does anyone have any feedback on this? The internet does not have too many reviews either.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:53   #34
BHPian

Well - My car cleaner used a scotch-brite and vim to remove some bird-poop from my car :(

The result large swirl marks and very very light scratches, almost like a fine haze clearly visible only when direct light falls on the affected area - At a petrol pump, a salesperson showed me demo of the scratch remover, and it worked... removed the haziness, and the affected area was good as new... Obviously I bought the kit some 400 Bucks (for a scratch remover, a spray for protective coating, and a cleaning foam).

Used it on the three affected areas with impressive results, but strangely enough, the effect lasted some 4-5 days before the haziness re-appeared.
I applied the scratch remover again, and looked carefully to make sure the haziness was eliminated. Again after 5-6 days the mini scratches/haze is back... :(

What gives? Any ideas? would an actual branded/better scratch remover help remove the haziness for good?
Old 27th June 2010, 09:17   #35
BHPian

my god, scotch brite on the car surface means doom! i suggest you go to some good car detailer and get your car refurbished. Search in TBhp directory for further details on car detailers in gurgaon.
Old 27th June 2010, 10:09   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
Well - My car cleaner used a scotch-brite and vim to remove some bird-poop from my car :(

The result large swirl marks and very very light scratches, almost like a fine haze clearly visible only when direct light falls on the affected area - At a petrol pump, a salesperson showed me demo of the scratch remover, and it worked... removed the haziness, and the affected area was good as new... Obviously I bought the kit some 400 Bucks (for a scratch remover, a spray for protective coating, and a cleaning foam).

Used it on the three affected areas with impressive results, but strangely enough, the effect lasted some 4-5 days before the haziness re-appeared.
I applied the scratch remover again, and looked carefully to make sure the haziness was eliminated. Again after 5-6 days the mini scratches/haze is back... :(

What gives? Any ideas? would an actual branded/better scratch remover help remove the haziness for good?

A nice spray of water and a clean wash with a soft sponge would have done the trick.

Scotch brite is highly abrasive, it leaves lots and lots of swirl marks on the car and is not advisable.
Old 5th July 2010, 17:27   #37
BHPian

Can the Rubbing compound and Polish be applied on the bumper? My (black) bumper has got scratches and I have to remove them.
Old 5th July 2010, 21:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Scratch Out is good, I keep it with me, very effective for minor scratches and brushes
dear Rk,
thanks for your advice, but where do you get this product. i have some minor scratches, (God knows from where they come, i suspect not the kids but even jealous adults too try to poke new cars!)
Old 11th July 2010, 14:18   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Can the Rubbing compound and Polish be applied on the bumper? My (black) bumper has got scratches and I have to remove them.
You can try your luck. But the results may be below par since the bumper is not metal.
Old 24th July 2010, 18:21   #40
BHPian

Try GS27!

Hello Mates, try the GS27, it really works. It looked like any ordinary scratch remover when I saw it in the shelf, but it's quite effective. Albeit, I am not sure one would find it back in India. But for the discussion this product is far superior to Formula 1's Scratch Out (I am one of thier distributors out here) and slightly better than the 3M Scratch Remover.

Cheers
Champion!
Attached Thumbnails
Car Scratch Remover-scratchremover1.jpg  

Old 24th July 2010, 22:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

We are looking at two types of products:

1. Transparent fillers: e.g. Touch it pro. These are essentially UV curing lacquers.

2. Abrasives - rubbing compound and emery paper (you will not get that fine a sand paper).
Emery paper: Finer grades are always used wet. For this soak the paper in water and thoroughly wet the surface (and keep it wet) when using. This way surface abrasion is far less, and you will not get the same degree of dulling.

Neither will work if the scratch goes down to the primer.
Old 24th July 2010, 23:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

I have tried the 'Simonz or say it Fix it PRO' scratch remover pen. Got it for 200Rs and it is not worth the money spent.
Old 31st July 2010, 00:30   #43
BHPian

I got some paint along with the scratches!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
The 3M Liquid Wax, which comes in a small black bottle is very efficient in removing scratches resulting out of bruises with another body. There was this Green paint mark from a DTC Bus on i20, and more than 90% of it was removes using 3M Liquid Wax, for the rest 10% 3M's Finesse rubbing compound was used.

Anyhow, I'll suggest to first try 3M Liquid Wax before using any abrasive material like a Rubbing Compound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somu_john View Post
Hi tsk,

Does it work on the plastic bumpers as well. Can you please share the name and address of some good accessory shops that you trust in south delhi.

i need to buy some polish and seatcovers for my i20

Regards,
Somu

Hey,
I just want to repeat the question, does this work on the bumpers as well. I managed to get the rear bumper of my S Silver Esteem scratched when I backed up into an Azura Grey Swift(the "Dark Ash-ish" one). Now I know that if the paint is gone, the scratches won't go, but the thing is that I have more than a couple of long Azura Grey paint on my silver bumper which is looking real bad. Would rubbing compound/petrol/diesel/kerosene et al work? Would any of these take away the underlying paint as well and leave my bumper without any color? And should I finish it off with any polishing?
Old 6th October 2010, 23:44   #44
BHPian

Saw a thread discussin about the paint tubes. See the link below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-tubes-18.html

I saw the add of this in a recent auto magazine and was looking for some true feedback. What I really want to know is if the colour has faded a bit, then how this will look like. Your comments are welcome.
Old 1st December 2010, 07:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I picked up a "Shine Star" 3 in one package for 400 Rs. at the HP petrol bunk on old Airport Road (the bunk opposite NAL). The sales boy told me the product is available in most accessory shops, though I did not see this in Koramangala, Bangalore. The package includes a Scratch remover, Polishing foam and Plastic shine restoring spray.

Of this package, I tried out the scratch remover, with very good results.

Mine is a metallic silver colored vehicle. The minor scratches have almost disappeared. Even the deep scratches now look far better, since the earlier exposed metal areas, which used to look like ugly deep brown lines, have got filled up, and the brown color is not visible, at least.

Sorry I could not take pics

My observations :

My first trials for 15 minutes were very disappointing, there was nothing happening.

But then later, increased rubbing pressure gave excellent results, while rubbing the abrasive paste with my bare fingers in circular motions.

Nearly 75 % of the minor scratches have disappeared.

But my fingers became sore after half an hour of work, and I tried to remove the last few scratches by rubbing the abrasive with the help of my fingernail covered in cloth. This was a wrong decision, as some of the shine came off at one place !

My advice : Try removing scratches at some unimportant areas first, so as to optimise the rubbing pressure for the abrasive, see the results, before proceeding elsewhere on the vehicle.

Overall, I would rate this scratch remover as very effective, at least for my silver colored Scorpio

Most Viewed