Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2008, 02:20   #46
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

You got some sense of humor man! funny but true!

Cheers,
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Simply the best! But then again, do you really want to blow 2.5 lakhs on suspension? They will outlast your car, and probably your next two cars, though.
Old 15th August 2008, 13:42   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Hello chaps

This has been long pending and its time to get it done. Like the title reads I want all your valuable inputs on stiffening the suspension setup in my car. Let me get straight to my requirements without much of banter.

Why ?

1 - Off-late this strange problem has cropped up in my car and MUL hasn't been able to fix it. Like most of you know I have been running the S-drives (205/50/R15) and initially the wheel would only scrape the mud-flap under full load(5 people + luggage).

Since my previous service, I have noticed that the rear right wheel arch scrapes the tyre under full load.This never existed all this while.
Could the suspension have gone bust ? But MUL confirmed that the stock suspension is fine.

With my 195's spare set of tires I don't see this problem. I need the 205's to stay.

2 - I personally feel the suspension is too soft and yes since I do a lot of highway driving need a better suspension setup.

My options :

1 - Get a set of Koni's. (Expensive in India)
2 - Stiffen the existing stock suspension ( will have to go to you know whom )
3 - Try something like the hotbits or whatever( Autopsyche has used this a fellow bhp'ians Cedia , I fancy this idea).

What I am looking for ?

1 - Is it possible to alter the existing suspension ? If yes whats the pro's and con's ?
2 - Changing to Koni's is an expensive affair. Can I only change the rear set ?
3 - Will the hot bits work , if Yes whats the costs involved ?

Keep your suggestions pouring in and I would like to call upon all the wise men here to help me decide where my money should go.

Thanks in advance.
why don't u just buy a pair of stock shocks for the baleno and use eibach springs... This will make the suspension stiffer and also be economical..

Eibachs are some the best springs around, and are stock springs on the new Mitsubishi Evo as well as 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX Sti.

The srpings should be more than 15K.
Old 15th August 2008, 15:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshat21 View Post
why don't u just buy a pair of stock shocks for the baleno and use eibach springs... This will make the suspension stiffer and also be economical..
I had the option of going for the Peddar springs. Somehow wasn't yet convinced since the setups I saw were mostly Koni's mounted with Peddar springs.

Also I can retain my stock suspension setup and only change the springs. Why would I need to buy a new pair then ?

This is taking longer than I expected it to, went Ozz One to take the plunge for the Yellow Koni's and damn he dint have it in stock.

So another round of waiting. Lets see how it all goes and maybe after my Kundapur trip which is around the corner I will get the stuff.
Old 15th August 2008, 15:15   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I had the option of going for the Peddar springs. Somehow wasn't yet convinced since the setups I saw were mostly Koni's mounted with Peddar springs.

Also I can retain my stock suspension setup and only change the springs. Why would I need to buy a new pair then ?

This is taking longer than I expected it to, went Ozz One to take the plunge for the Yellow Koni's and damn he dint have it in stock.

So another round of waiting. Lets see how it all goes and maybe after my Kundapur trip which is around the corner I will get the stuff.
I thought you wanted to buy new shocks also.... since you don't need the to buy the shocks... just buy the springs.

Konis are overpriced in my opinion.. Don't know much about peddars so wont comment on it. But I think Eibachs is the way to go. Have them seen them in action on my buddy's Accord and with stock suspension, they worked like a dream.. The ride was perfect for spirited driving.
Old 15th August 2008, 23:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

Then you're going to have stiff springs and stock rebound damping. Not a great combo.
Old 18th August 2008, 10:30   #51
BHPian

Plus with stiff springs and stock rebound damping you dont have any adjustment! You are left with whatever happens.

IMHO Koni dampers with stock spring will work better. You have external adjustability to damping.

Eibach springs are 17K.

Bilstein is being distributed by Petes. Now you know where to go.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

Pedders VRD dampers cost Rs.25,500 for all four.
Pedders Springs(non-lowering) cost Rs.16,500 for a set of four.
This is for an esteem and I dont think it would differ for the Baleno.
If on a budget, and if the current stock dampers are in very good condition, change the springs alone to Pedders.
Old 19th August 2008, 15:09   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Plus with stiff springs and stock rebound damping you dont have any adjustment! You are left with whatever happens.

IMHO Koni dampers with stock spring will work better. You have external adjustability to damping.

Eibach springs are 17K.

Bilstein is being distributed by Petes. Now you know where to go.
Koni's are overpriced.. Plus, you need external adjustability if you are going to take the car on and off the track... by adding features the prices will be inflated.

Eibachs should be around 15K.. Check with Methods in Bangalore. They can direct you to a local dealer or source the springs for you. Their site does not say they have Eibachs but I hae confirmed with them over the phone.

Bilstein are also a choice for springs...
Old 19th August 2008, 16:08   #54
BHPian

Suspension is all about damping. Stiff springs does not mean better handling.

Anybody who has tried or driven baleno with stock dampers and aftermarket springs. I have not heard of anybody hence am asking. Accord dampers and baleno dampers will be world apart in terms of damping characteristics. What may work for one type/class of car may not work for another.
Old 19th August 2008, 23:22   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Suspension is all about damping. Stiff springs does not mean better handling.

Anybody who has tried or driven baleno with stock dampers and aftermarket springs. I have not heard of anybody hence am asking. Accord dampers and baleno dampers will be world apart in terms of damping characteristics. What may work for one type/class of car may not work for another.
Have not driven a Baleno... But am pretty sure that almost all Japanese cars have a soft suspension setup... which means the dampers will be quite soft. Which should complement the stiffer springs.
Old 20th August 2008, 00:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Riju, what's your budget for the suspension upgrade?
Old 20th August 2008, 00:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshat
Koni's are overpriced..
I agree. But, do we have a choice?
Old 20th August 2008, 14:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Riju, what's your budget for the suspension upgrade?
Abhishek , it kinda depends if its only the springs then I would keep my budget at 15k. If its the Koni's I have no choice but 35k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I agree. But, do we have a choice?
nitrous anna you are right. We really don't have a choice and please before you take the plunge with your car do your homework( I know you sure will).

I have been doing my fair bit of research on this over the last few months since I started this thread and have had mixed responses. Had the opportunity to check out a few rally spec' and street spec' baleno(owned by colleague).

Each setup has had its fair bit of ups and downs and I agree no system can be 100% foolproof but nothing convincing as yet.
The other options given were to try DMS and J Anand suspension setups which is way above my budget.

The combi was mostly Koni's (yellow) with Eibach/Peddar springs. The search is still on and maybe once am back from my trip I will sit back think and take the plunge.
Old 20th August 2008, 23:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riju
If its the Koni's I have no choice but 35k.
Four Koni dampers alone cost 35k or is this including the eibach/pedder springs?
Btw, if i decide to get Konis, I would definitely get someone to carry them in from abroad.It would be a lot cheaper if the person doesn't mind the added weight to their luggage
Old 21st August 2008, 13:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Four Koni dampers alone cost 35k or is this including the eibach/pedder springs?
Thats only the Koni dampers. I know the springs will be an added cost again.

Abhishek you have gotten Pedders ain't it ?From your gallery Pedders Comfort Gas struts with Pedders Heavy duty coil springs . What sized hole did these burn in your pockets ?

Most Viewed