Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 14:30   #16
BHPian

I'm surprised to see NO COMMENTS from OFF ROAD / JEEP experts from other related threads. Where are you all?

I guess they've all gone OFF ROAD now.

Old 17th January 2008, 14:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by croonneck View Post
Just yesterday, i'd spoken to this guy in coorg. he claims that his friend's somebody has installed a SINGLE leaf over each of his rear tyres in his BOLERO!
i asked him for more details- apparently those leafs are are about 2.5 to 3 times the size of a normal leaf(at least that's what i comprehended when he showed me the thickness of the leaf with his fingers) i've sadly not been able to see this vehicle. he says the owner got it installed somewhere in coimbatore for about 22 k for the set of 2 leafs. the leafs are supposed to be manufactured by VOLVO and supposedly makes the ride amazingly comfortable.
since i've not been able to see this vehicle, i had a few doubts- the main thing- can this really be done, i mean do any of you guys know something like this?

Sir, the leaf springs are stacked from big to small for a reason . To provide flexibility at the end and rigidity in the center , and the whole thing varies progressively as one moves from top to bottom .

In my bolero 4x4 I had got the camber adjusted to increase the suspension travel, but never had heard of just replacing it with one leaf. I would think there is a risk of fatigue failure at the center point which moves the least and takes most of the stress.

I would think it would not be a wise idea.
Old 21st January 2008, 21:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Sir, the leaf springs are stacked from big to small for a reason . To provide flexibility at the end and rigidity in the center , and the whole thing varies progressively as one moves from top to bottom .

In my bolero 4x4 I had got the camber adjusted to increase the suspension travel, but never had heard of just replacing it with one leaf. I would think there is a risk of fatigue failure at the center point which moves the least and takes most of the stress.

i'm aware of the stacking of the leaf springs,but since i'd heard a friend talking about the single leaf,thought i'd share it with the community(which i now know,must have been a composite leaf spring which has been mentioned in the previous posts of this thread)
check out the previous posts about the composite leaf spring,pretty interesting.
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:36   #19
BHPian

Edmund has this single leaf running in his m800. maybe he can tell us what his experience has been.

@ rrnsss the fatigue failiure is easy to happen in a metal leaf, but the composite structure of the frp single leaf distributes the load across a slightly larger area IMHO
Old 10th November 2008, 23:25   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post

Spot on.. Thats what I was thinking .
A single leaf would break over a patch of rough road at full load .

I modded a 407 leaf for a mahindra a few years back ,may be someone could check if both the plates are of the same size for a bolero
Old 16th December 2008, 12:04   #21
BHPian

CFRP Leaf Spring

In my quest to find a smoother ride and better rear suspension for the ford endeavour i came across this company, and a video link which was mailed to me with the following details and claims:-"
Thanks for your enquiry.
Please find the link below where you can view the live demo of the CFRP Leaf Spring from ARC Industries.
These Springs perform better than coil Springs and give enhanced driving & passenger comfort.
These springs do not require any maintenance like recambering nor greasing.
It has been Tested & certified at ARAI, Pune.
In the Demo, you can watch the vehicle remaining steady inspite of the off road conditions which we encounter with the existing road conditions in India".

My query is has any fellow Bhpian here installed this in his ride? if yes how reliable is it? does it really make such a big difference as claimed by the manufacturer? Does the car float at high speeds??
A set of 2 leafs for the rear for the endeavour including fitting is around 45k.thanks.
Please do let me know your views, or any better solution if any.
MyVideoWebMail
:mods please move to appropriate section if necessary.
Old 16th December 2008, 12:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Price looks to be a bit steep, IMHO. This is bordering the prices of Blistein, Koni etc and that too for a pair of leaves for the rear. I have heard of FRP springs that used to be fitted in the old M800's. Not read of any reviews yet.
Old 6th May 2009, 22:17   #23
BHPian

I'm reopening this thread to find out if there are any new updates on these CFRP Leaf Springs . I had even seen a set of these being offered for sale in the 'Marketplace' section on TBHP, then within a few days the ad disappeared from the section. Don't know what happened. If a fellow Bhpian has bought the stuff, it would be great to hear a full product review.
Old 7th May 2009, 00:03   #24
BHPian

It looks like nobody has an idea?
Old 9th May 2009, 09:55   #25
BHPian

Jyobeb has gone for the FRP Leaf springs for his Jeep project. Here is the Link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-my-mm550.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks