Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2024, 17:39   #1

Is there a way to engine swap legally in India?

Recently I was surfing through Youtube when I came across a video where they were swapping a W204 C250 with a C63 V8. This made me wonder if it was legal to swap engines in India. I looked up for the answer to my question, but I could not find a proper answer to it. Thus I opened up TeamBHP and tried finding a thread related to it but all I found was an old thread from 2008 which again, did not have a proper answer. All I found was:
  • You can swap an engine if its from the same manufacturer or it has the same amount of power.
  • You can swap engines if you can get the right permissions from your states RTO, which seemed to be the right answer but upon looking deeper, many disagreed with this and said that one cant swap the engine without transferring the chassis number.
  • A petrol to petrol swap is allowed but not a petrol to diesel or a diesel to petrol.

I don't have any other place to confirm weather this information is true or not. If there are any members who work at the RTO or are aware about this topic please give me an insight if its possible or not to swap engines legally.

Lets say I want to swap a W211 E280 petrol with a 6.2L M156 V8 from a W211 E63, is it possible to do this legally?

Many said that the police or government don't look that deep into your car, but if I want my car insured, I must know if its legal to do so. Driving an illegal car is not worth the risk in my opinion.
holyshash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2024, 18:51   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is there a way to engine swap legally in India?

Nope, there is no 100% legal way to do it. Those who do engine swaps follow the "rather than ask for permission, it's better to apologize if caught" philosophy. The best way to get a new engine is to rebuild your current engine. Second choice, get the same engine (preferred from the dealer / OEM). Anything else is illegal. And frankly, from the authority's point of view, it is impossible for them to classify just any & every engine swap as being roadworthy or not.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2024, 06:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope, there is no 100% legal way to do it. Those who do engine swaps follow the "rather than ask for permission, it's better to apologize if caught" philosophy. The best way to get a new engine is to rebuild your current engine. Second choice, get the same engine (preferred from the dealer / OEM). Anything else is illegal. And frankly, from the authority's point of view, it is impossible for them to classify just any & every engine swap as being roadworthy or not.
The 'better to apologize if caught' mentality might work with the police but what about insuring your car? In case of an accident or any other mess up, how can one justify the engine swap or how can you explain it to the authorities that you are missing a chassis number
I can't get the same engine for the W211 because the stock engine is perfectly good, the swap is to be done for a V8 because there is only 1 original W211 E63 in India that has been recorded.
I am from Ahmedabad, the police here are lenient in terms of mods though.
holyshash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2024, 08:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyshash View Post
what about insuring your car?
No, you cannot. In smaller accidents, Insurance may not bother much (depending on the surveyor).

Also, I don't think in our country we have an ecosystem as we see say in USA, heading to a place and getting a brand new or used V8 or whatever.

Quote:
the swap is to be done for a V8 because there is only 1 original W211 E63 in India that has been recorded.
Am sure you will be aware that it's not just the engine on newer cars but almost everything, from electrical to mechanicals that you will need changing. In most cases, the costs of such will be prohibitive.

The best thing to do is to find a car that already has something you like and take it from there.
Old 14th October 2024, 09:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Like the Arabs memes go "Police not there, habibi everything legal"

Only legal way is maybe for your engine to be damaged and the same spec engine changed from the dealer.

You can try to be legal by illegally etching/drafting the old engine number/chassis number into the new one, but that would work only if the engine layout is same. Like putting a 1.5/1.6l four cylinder engine in a car that had 1.2/1.4l engine. A casual glance wouldn't make out the engine difference, especially if rest of the car is stock.

But a V8 in a car that had an inline-4 in the first palce. Any self respecting MVD official can find that out. Nope. Possible in India, but never legal in India.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2024, 14:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Plenty of us here have done engine transplants. All should be well till you end up in an accident, or go for fitness of your car. Insurance guys will deny insurance cos of the swap. Fitness also demands the car be in the original condition.

However, you can approach the RTO if your current engine is beyond repair and AFAIK, there are clauses which allow you to replace with a different engine - If - the original engine is no longer available, provided the engine is of a similar spec and from the same OEM.
Old 15th October 2024, 09:50   #7
BHPian

The complexities regarding engine swap is well discussed but what about a transmission swap?
Like if a car had both an auto and manual transmission, swapping the former with the latter is legal?
Or swapping a car with 5 speed to a 6 speed?
I couldn't find any documents available online regarding this.
Old 15th October 2024, 09:50   #8
BHPian

I grew up in a world of engine transplants in the 1980s. I myself have "lent a shoulder" to lift engines in and out of bays. Mostly, it was Ambassadors being given after market Matador engines. I recall a couple of Padminis were dieselised (don't know what engines were used).

Enfield (Royal and otherwise) Bullets were given Kirloskar diesel motors from pumps occasionally. My mechanic fabricated a steel plate to marry one to a transmission of a bike from Eastern Europe during the pre-Glasnost era.

I am sure they were all regularised in the RTO. Have the rules changed so much in these years? Or are the interpretations different?

Last edited by Pennant1970 : 15th October 2024 at 09:52. Reason: Grammar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks