Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2024, 13:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smell from Autoform 7D mats is bothering my family | Now what?

I have 7D floor mats from Autoform in my Innova Crysta for last 5 years. The pictures can be found here (Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review) on my 5 year old post regarding the installation of these mats. The mats have lasted well and still going strong. However, the smell coming from these mats have not subsided. Not a problem for me as it continues to give me new car feeling . However wife and kid keeps complaining. I thought the smell might go away over time but it has not.

Moreover, the observation is if the car is not accessed for use even for a day, the smell build up is stronger (as per family standard) and once in use it starts to wear off gradually.

Alternatively, I have tried considering change of mats, Autotech was recommended to me by the accessory shop. However, on calling their customer support they were honest in stating that some PVC smell with continue to remain and will never go away completely.

The convenience of 7D mats is hard to overlook more so when you have kids around.

So the options for me now are either to try keeping the car doors open on starting up after 1-2 idle days to dissipate the initial smell build up or keep strong car perfumes or both. Any other suggestions anyone?
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2024, 13:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Full Floor PVC Matting. Boon or bane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
The convenience of 7D mats is hard to overlook more so when you have kids around.
Neither PVC matting nor 7D's - but I got 5D mats for two cars this week. The mats fit in snug, and all dust etc will remain within this - even if I need to clean it in-place. Brands I got - GFX & QPo.

If you want 7D's - also check Elegant Auto mats
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2024, 10:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Subsequent to the previous post (Full Floor PVC Matting. Boon or bane?), I am also eyeing several DIY methods online like sprinkling baking soda, or rubbing using vinegar, lime water, exposing to sunlights, etc as means to get rid of smells coming from floor mats. I wanted to check if anyone has been facing similar issue with their Leatherette 7D mats and what they did to get rid of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Brands I got - GFX & QPo.

If you want 7D's - also check Elegant Auto mats
Thanks, but what about the smell? Are these branded as odorless?
Old 27th September 2024, 15:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Brand new, but no smell with either brand. Hope this helps

Smell from Autoform 7D mats is bothering my family | Now what?-gfx.jpg

Smell from Autoform 7D mats is bothering my family | Now what?-qpo.jpg

Last edited by condor : 27th September 2024 at 15:39.
Old 27th September 2024, 17:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry - I think you asked about the smell in 7D mats, specifically with those from Elegant Auto. Instead I have responded with pics of the 5D mats I have got.

Just in case it helps: the first pic above is from GFX, and I would prefer these over QPo (second pic).
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2024, 20:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Brand new, but no smell with either brand. Hope this helps
Is that rusting in the door drain hole of the first image?
Old 27th September 2024, 20:43   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Is that rusting in the door drain hole of the first image?
No !

It;s a brand new car, and we had applied cavity wax inside the door to prevent rust inside the door frame in future. That is excess wax flowing out through the drain holes that are present in the doors.
Old 28th September 2024, 12:20   #8
BHPian

Re: Smell from Autoform 7D mats is bothering my family | Now what?

I will advise strongly to get rid of the material altogether. The smell is VOCs... Highly toxic and a known carcinogen.

Please have a look at this link - https://automotive-transportation.ba...-new-car-smell

And this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_car_smell

In fact, Ford is pre-processing cars to reduce end user risk. - https://www.tampabay.com/news/breaki...f-it-20181120/

In a nutshell,
1. Vent out a new car by parking it in the sun with the windows slightly open.
2. Blast the aircon with external ventilation on for the first ten minutes. Some cars now come with a press and hold unlock function that opens the windows and sunroof, or can be added as a module (RD overseas sells one)
3. Do so for all such aftermarket mats esp those made of PU and PVC. Avoid those service time polishes and use only top tier products if you absolutely must. Use the policy of 'less is more'.

My text above is probably misplaced since I haven't solved your problem, but instead, you'd be avoiding exposing people you care about to needless risk. There is no culpability of OEs in India, so it behooves us to be better informed about such health hazards.

And about the cavity protection, I am aware that Wurth sells such a spray as well. I've seen it in use at the Mahindra service center. It's more of a coating than it is wax.
wooka is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed