Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2024, 18:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What are the car modifications that you despise?

For me it's got to be the chrome accessories. The door handles, the grille add ons etc..

What are the car modifications that you despise?-kiasonetchromeaccessoriescombogarnishsetof6triplelayerchromeplating.jpg

Also fake mechanical mods like the twin exhaust, or hoodscoop sticker etc tick me in the wrong way.
dhanushs is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 19:05   #17

1. Rear Light Tinting/Wrapping to black:
This particular Mod should be avoided(rather considered to be illegal by law) as it is very difficult to spot at night, foggy days and is a risk to others on road. The red color of the brake lights is chosen for it's distinctive safety factor, and not just for the aesthetics.
What are the car modifications that you despise?-rtintbmwcustomtaillighttint.jpg

2. Extra/Irrelevant Badging on the Cars:
Spotted a BMW 530d M Sport with a M5 badge. I mean, just why!? Already the machine is so beautiful, why ruin it & falsify things!

What are the car modifications that you despise?-gettyimages460664630612x612.jpg
Often caught sight of Ferrari, Mercedes AMG stickers on commercial vehicles & Tourist Taveras, Innovas and even Rickshaws & Kaali Peeli Taxi of Mumbai!
It's just as similar as Adidas & fake Adibas sneakers, lol!

Note: All images were sourced from the internet for illustrations only.
mercrun is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 19:13   #18
BHPian

One that immediately came to my mind (mainly from a safety perspective) is replacing the yellow/orange turn indicators with white LEDs. It becomes quite difficult to see/distinguish from other vehicle lights especially in the nights or foggy conditions.
Aiel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 19:14   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Chrome add-ons,
Any fittings that drill holes in the metal - especially the outer panels.
The super-loud sub-woofers
The extra bright cool-white LED bulbs that blind on-coming drivers.
The air-horns that cabs have.
Garish wraps

And definitely electrical add-ons when the stock wiring is cut.

These are a few of the things I can think of.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 19:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe367 View Post
As someone frome Kerala I agree with every single modification you have mentioned here
Heres one accessory which I don't understand why people use: Acupuncture wooden beads seat cover.
Attachment 2630204
It doesn't look good and It felt super uncomfortable to sit on.
I having been using it. Need sometime to get used to it. If you have leatherette seats and sweat a lot , during summer in long drives, it helps by avoiding your shirts getting drenched.
Arun_S is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 20:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremeyy View Post
Fake exhausts
And...fake police.

Could never figure what effect the people who paste these stickers - police, government of XXX, press, lawyer, bank - expect to have on the other road users? Give way? Saluted? How about being chased by goons?
Mr.Fawlty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 22:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

1. Cheap LEDs in halogen reflector housings. The colour is completely off and they blind people no matter whether on low beam or high beam.

2. All those horrible suspension buffer things that people keep shilling like Rogerab and the like. Yeah you get more ride height but your suspension can't move in its full range of motion anymore. And no surprise, shoving a block of plastic between your springs have now turned your ride quality into back breaking levels of discomfort. I actively avoid riding in my friend's swift who got this installed. And that's not even going into the all the rattles and other major issues that will occur because the car is being shaken to pieces on any bumpy road.

Last edited by Cresterk : 21st July 2024 at 22:50.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 06:16   #23
Team-BHP Support

The non-proportioned tyre upsizes which bulge out from the side. I never understood, how it went past the owner's logic to go that route?
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 07:01   #24
Team-BHP Support

My two top peeves are:

Illegal number plates in vernacular which cannot be caught; and
Completely darkened windows including the front windscreen, which dramatically reduces visibility and is a sheer safety concern.

Other than that, your car your wish but stuff that doesn’t appeal to me in general or what I wouldn’t do to my cars:

- I’m not a sticker person - definitely not the cringe ones but generally none, certainly not stickers overkill, when it comes to cars. I don’t have the same approach with my bike and my older Tiger top box was in fact full of stickers.
- Minimal chrome, and definitely not a fan of Mods that do chrome overkill.
- Over the top bull bars etc in the context of the car concerned. Yeah if you have a Thar or a Scorpio you definitely have some room to play here but for most other cars I mean.
- Excessive fog lights on cars. I don’t mean a couple of fog lights on an SUV but like a whole bunch of them like some folks put.
- Disproportionately oversized wheels or those modified to sport excessively low sidewalls.
- Wraps that are loud and shouty. These gold or silver looking wraps for instance.
- Any mod that is adding form at an extreme expense of functionality.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 08:01   #25
BHPian

What really irks me are bullbars on cars, especially Innovas.

Some of them have a sharp flag holder sticking up.

Modern cars are designed to :
- limit damage to pedestrians in an accident
- have frontal areas which crumble under impact to absorb force and protect occupants

Bullbars defeat both these safety elements.

TN politicians are famous for driving around in such Innovas.

What are the car modifications that you despise?-5a47cbea8eaa415c197fd0ea1dd2a716_original.jpg
argho is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 08:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

I am a firm believer of modifications if tastefully done. It helps unveil the true potential of cars.

For me more than ‘What’ modifications that I hate, it’s the ‘How’ part. Most of the points mentioned in the OP can be Good or Bad based on the implementations. For eg: An after market HU of a good quality can totally uplift the interiors of old cars and there are good performing ones too. Similarly an LED or HID upgrade with projector can work well too. Same with stickering job, sequential indicators etc.

Having said that one modification I find more harmful than help is the suspension buffers. Once while doing the wheel alignment the tyre shop guy did up-sell of Rogerab and within one day of using, I returned it back. And if you want better performance of suspension, change the stock ones with a performance ones - personal opinion, this piece of rubber is not going to help.

Last edited by sunikkat : 22nd July 2024 at 08:17.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 09:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe367 View Post
As someone frome Kerala I agree with every single modification you have mentioned here
Heres one accessory which I don't understand why people use: Acupuncture wooden beads seat cover.
Attachment 2630204
It doesn't look good and It felt super uncomfortable to sit on.
I was not planning to add to the thread because it is mostly subjective in my mind. However, this bead seat cover had to be responded to! I felt targetted !

I have been using these in my car for the last 5+ years and have really benefitted from the relief it gives to the back in a poorly supported seat as well as keeping any sweat down. I don't know of anyone who drives my car who even noticed it as being uncomfortable.

Personal opinion - no offence meant.
Pennant1970 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 10:29   #28
BHPian

Oh man !! Finally a thread that read thoughts in my mind. Here are the list of car modifications that annoy me most

Fake quad exhausts - I mean what is reason for getting them ?

Chromification - I don't understand the people obsession with Chrome finish and they over do it such a way that, it is first thing we notice when we see a car.

After market head units - Recently it has became a trend that these manufacturers are supporting all OTTs and Youtube applications while on driving, it is serious safety concern that is why stock head units and top brands like Sony won't allow to play videos while vehicle is moving.
anilsurya1985 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 11:01   #29
BHPian

Since most of the posts are on exterior, I will share my thoughts on some interior modifications that get on my nerves:-

1- Steering wraps - Mostly there are these bad ones, ill fitted and despicable looking which serve no purpose than to make the economical looking but still graceful and tasteful looking steering of car look downmarket. What more, the other day I saw an instagram story of someone with top model Harrier, which obviously comes with leather steering absolutely massacred with this cheap looking and ill fitting wrap, very distasteful.

Best alternatives are some shops which take the steering out and do a decent and well fitting/stitched job with this, otherwise, for most Maruti cars (presumably for other brands too) the steering from the top model with factory leather wrap doesn't cost exorbitant and sometimes shops charge more for wrapping your steering than that actual OEM steering wheel, wish more people get that instead.

2- Chinese Android HU - Well, I simply cannot digest more of them, cringeworthy interfaces, mostly destroys the overall look of interiors, and much worse sound quality than 20 or 30 year old pioneer/Sony units! I would and rather am happy with whatever HU came in my lower variant cars, otherwise I'll try to source the original upper variant's HU and be done with it, another alternative will be to get lower variant's Garnish or something and fit in a decent Pioneer double din HU with Android Auto and Apple Car Play.

3- Complete interior re-do in cringeworthy shades mostly for Cretas and Thars, not only they charge an exorbitant amount but the fit and finish is miles off OEM stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_J View Post
After a second or two of cringing, I felt sorry for that misogynist man and prayed him a speedy recovery

[/i]
I can see how this is cringeworthy, distasteful and offensive even, but I don't see how this is misogynistic?

Last edited by Rocketscience : 22nd July 2024 at 11:02.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 11:02   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

As a rule I don’t modify cars. I have never bolted any modifications to any of my cars. Even when it comes to internal, engine, transmission and so on, I rarely venture away from what was available from the factory.

No account for taste, but I rarely come across modifications on other cars I find attractive.

Even the nodding doggie I added to the parcel shelve on my Mercedes W123 is an official Mercedes option of that time!

Wheels are probably one of the few modifications I have used over all these years. But my current fleet of six cars all have their original rims! But it always comes as a surprise how quite a few owners manage to completely destroy their car by bolting some awful looking wheels!

The worst modification, my opinion, is those bolt on spoilers. They spoil the looks and probably, in most cases, tend not to work at all.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks