Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2024, 08:53   #1
BHPian

Installed a 360-degree camera and facing issues | Advice needed

I installed a 360 degree camera on my wife's i20 nline. I felt it would really boost her confidence. But the job done by RS Premium at Jayanagar was really pathetic.

They promised to do the job in 2 hours. But didn't touch the car even after a one hour wait. Finally, it took them 6 hours to get it installed.

Now after the install, I checked the lights, mirrors and noticed that both the motors for the mirror adjustment was not working. It's a new car, so you can imagine how frustrated I was.

I stay pretty far from their 'show room' and so they said they'd send someone over to fix the mirror. They also said they would whatsapp the invoice since it was already past 10 pm.

After continuously following up with them, they send one person home. He tries stuff and is not able to fix the motors. Then after another couple of days, they send another guy. Now this guy in the process of trying to fix the motor, breaks the mirror (glass) on the right!
Installed a 360-degree camera and facing issues | Advice needed-img20240620wa0024.jpg
It has 4 cameras. One installed on each mirror, one at the back.
Installed a 360-degree camera and facing issues | Advice needed-20240615_133011.jpg
And one in the front.
Installed a 360-degree camera and facing issues | Advice needed-20240615_133028.jpg
I had to take another 6 hours and go to another place to somewhat fix the motors. One side is still wonky.

There's a joystick remote that comes with the unit that's not functioned from day 1.

And it's almost a month now, They have replaced the mirror, after a lot of calls. But I still haven't got the invoice and Sham the owner doesn't respond to phone calls. When he picks up, he gives it to one of his folks who is trained to say that he's in a 'meeting'.

The whole setup set me back by 34K. How do I get an invoice from them. Need some advise here. I've tried to nudge them into action and a Google review seems to have helped me get to where I am.

BTW, this is my second install of something from him. The first one also I had to visit twice. My rear light casing was broken. Wouldn't recommend this person to anyone.
triedeverything is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 13:15   #2
BHPian

re: Installed a 360-degree camera and facing issues | Advice needed

Feel sorry to hear for what you have undergone. The motors are usually connected to the the BCM and have CAN lines for communication with the CANBUS. Looks like they tried to tap into one of these wires to obtain power for the cameras, which in turn resulted in a non functioning motor. It is a usual a deceptive act followed by all these people to not consider customer care at the top. And adding to this, never trust anyone who does not have a good reputation to tamper with you new ride. I feel they had done this car the first time, and do not know which lines can be tapped, and which cannot. Hence it became a mess for you to handle.
Regarding the invoice, just visit them and discuss to fix the issues currently with the vehicle along with invoice. If they are not willing to do so, you could go ahead and take legal action as it would turn out to be a complete scam for you. Usually these guys will not be knowing about any forum like this, and think that it would not affect their business, hence a legal way can help you with this.

Happy Motoring!
Bsilver is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 17:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did they have to update the software? Does the Infotainment get the controls and can display 360 views now?
Old 11th July 2024, 12:33   #4
BHPian

There were no splicing of wires. It was entirely plug and play. They have done another i20 earlier. Seeing that I thought they they knew their stuff.

The camera views show up on the Infotainment system itself. The indicators when engaged show the left and right side correctly. The dial that is additional is supposed to change the views when used.
I got my invoice now. Have to visit them for the 3rd time now to get other issues fixed.
Old 13th July 2024, 10:28   #5

Re: Installed a 360-degree camera and facing issues | Advice needed

This is a completely pathetic job done on a new car and that too for a whopping 34k. I can imagine the frustration you're going through. This is also one of the reasons I'm highly sceptical about getting any upgrades on my cars. Anyway, since you're facing all this trouble, I'd suggest going the legal route. Often shoddy jobs are done by dealers and since the customers don't prefer mainstream channels to recover their damages, such dealers are left untouched.

Best
Piyush
piiyush21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 12:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the owner will definitely be wary of giving you an invoice for an installation gone bad. There are a lot of things you can do with an invoice and you can bet he knows that.

I would suggest that you focus on the solution which is getting it back into perfect working shape and discuss how he can help you on that.

If your transactions are by account transfer or credit card maybe that would help in pushing for a invoice. Raise a complaint about no bill being provided etc. But in India these are all very time consuming and often pointless exercises.

Lastly I am very sceptical of accessory shops capability to execute installations beyond a certain scope and a 360 degree camera falls into that. I like all such features straight from the factory or DIY if I have the skills. These folks rarely plan these things properly and tend to wing it when issues crop up.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 17:54   #7

As for me, I will not let an unauthorized center to touch my vehicle till the guarantee period is over. Not worth taking the risk. Now, when you take the car to the authorized dealer and they notice this, I am sure that they are going to make a significant hue and cry regarding this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks