Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2024, 16:57   #1
BHPian

What modification scope does my Chevy Beat have?

The ideas that one can get when they're idle are insane. Here's one such idea of mine.

I've been using my dad's old Chevy beat since October 2023, ever since he got himself a Honda Amaze. I've clocked around 9k kms in this duration. I've always loved my Beat, and now the itch to spice things up is getting stronger. Though I might not immediately start doing things, I am very curious as to where I can take things to. Here's a list of things that I plan to do very gradually(say a year later, as my tyres have a lot of life left in them and I don't see a point in getting new rims and tyres now).

As to parts, I have a cousin who stays in Uzbekistan and Chevy is massively popular there. He says he sees a lot of Beat's(or Spark) on a regular basis. I can source some parts like headlights from that place.
What modification scope does my Chevy Beat have?-screenshot_20240709165525.png

I have a feeling my Beat can be a nice car to learn modifying cars. This car has a good handling balance IMO and feels sweet and controlled in corners. The car feels very analogue, but lets not get into this modern day vs old cars discussion.

I would like to see what suggestions people have for me.

Regards

PS: I love how the car looks even after 14 years

What modification scope does my Chevy Beat have?-pxl_20240703_1343104102.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 10th July 2024 at 06:46.
saikishor is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 23:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: What modification scope does my Chevy Beat have?

Aftermarket support for the Beat may not be too large, but do remember that the Beat featured in one of the Transformer movies if I recall correctly.

What modification scope does my Chevy Beat have?-img_0931.jpeg

What modification scope does my Chevy Beat have?-img_0932.jpeg

What modification scope does my Chevy Beat have?-img_0933.jpeg

This means you may find some interesting stuff for it in the USA where this car was sold as a supermini, particularly the cosmetic kind.

In terms of engine and drivetrain modifications, there is not a lot you can do since it’s severely limited by its ECU and lack of forced induction. Intakes and exhausts will net you very little in terms of actual tangible gains. Keeping the engine in good health would be the way to go.

I would get a nice set of wheels and tyres for the car for improved handling and aesthetics, update the ICE with Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto, and give it a subtle “Transformers” theme, if I were you!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th July 2024 at 23:46.
suhaas307 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 09:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Yours is a Petrol or a Diesel Beat? Diesel Beat is infamous for its engine & reliabilty issues, and might not be worthy enough to spend money after a decade and a half of life.

In any case, the Beat does look super cool on roads even today. If tastefully done up, it will sure be a head turner. Nice tints, sexy wheels, and a nice sounding exhaust to start with.

Check out some cool mods on the Beat.

What modification scope does my Chevy Beat have?-snapinsta.app_378998541_1528368031302426_703255197806351869_n_1080.jpg

What modification scope does my Chevy Beat have?-snapinsta.app_428345517_408031248298540_478243561031886699_n_1080.jpg

What modification scope does my Chevy Beat have?-snapinsta.app_433200568_703213658401680_5454098953136941929_n_1080.jpg

Name:  Snapinsta.app_video_664A3C0D9FE373AA6FEE6177D2F5A689_video_dashinitezgif.comoptimize 1.gif
Views: 93
Size:  4.58 MB
dhanushs is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 10:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Simple answer really.

Sell the BEAT, add a lakh and get a used POLO!

No upgrades in the beat will match a segment upgrade.
2000rpm is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 13:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

In terms of engine and drivetrain modifications, there is not a lot you can do since it’s severely limited by its ECU and lack of forced induction. Intakes and exhausts will net you very little in terms of actual tangible gains. Keeping the engine in good health would be the way to go.
I am not much concerned about power gains and stuff. Maybe a very slight bump which would make a difference in day to day driving. I want an exhaust(the valvetronics setup with the pops and bangs ), I really like a loud, sweet yet subtle sound of a car. Would like to progress in this way. I need to see how much this would cost, I did put up an enquiry at grid7 customs and they quoted a bomb for this.
Another reason for performance upgrades are if I end up changing the rims it is obvious that the rim size and width will change. I don't want to see sharp drops in power figures. As to brakes, the beat has good brakes in stock form but if required I will look into this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yours is a Petrol or a Diesel Beat? Diesel Beat is infamous for its engine & reliabilty issues, and might not be worthy enough to spend money after a decade and a half of life.

In any case, the Beat does look super cool on roads even today. If tastefully done up, it will sure be a head turner. Nice tints, sexy wheels, and a nice sounding exhaust to start with.

Check out some cool mods on the Beat.

Attachment 2625643

Attachment 2625644

Attachment 2625645

Attachment 2625646
My car is a petrol beat. If it was a diesel I wouldnt have cared this much. The grey beat that you have posted Ive seen this car on Instagram a number of times. Very sweetly done, I love the rims of that car. I would like to do something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Simple answer really.

Sell the BEAT, add a lakh and get a used POLO!

No upgrades in the beat will match a segment upgrade.
If adding substantial money was an option, I would happily sell off the Beat and get an i20 N Line. Polo is not really my thing and honestly it is way too common nowadays. This aside, the attachment I have towards this car is strong. I would only part with it if it is absolutely necessary. Even the mods when I stsrt off with them it should be such that incase I need to sell off the car, I'd remove all mods or ones possible for removal, retrieve them and sell off the car in stock form.
saikishor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 14:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I am not much concerned about power gains and stuff. Maybe a very slight bump which would make a difference in day to day driving. I want an exhaust(the valvetronics setup with the pops and bangs ), I really like a loud, sweet yet subtle sound of a car. Would like to progress in this way. I need to see how much this would cost, I did put up an enquiry at grid7 customs and they quoted a bomb for this.
Another reason for performance upgrades are if I end up changing the rims it is obvious that the rim size and width will change. I don't want to see sharp drops in power figures. As to brakes, the beat has good brakes in stock form but if required I will look into this as well..
Remaps and tunes will not net you any gains whatsoever. You can confirm this with Wolf Moto or any other tuner you prefer. The costs for tuning such a car will be far too high for the marginal gains you may get. I wouldn’t recommend it.

If you want a peppier-feeling car, consider installing a throttle controller / pedal box. This will make the car’s throttle feel much sharper and give you the ‘zip’ that you are after.

Exhaust modifications will also not net you any gains whatsoever. If you are after sound, you could consider swapping the end-can for something free-flowing like a Magnaflow muffler. If you want the versatility of a valve that allows you to quieten down the exhaust note, the only valvetronic muffler I would recommend is Varex - and that’s expensive - somewhere in the range of 40k I believe, but it’s a good product. A local exhaust shop with decent skills will be able to help you install it for a fee (labour).

More than alloys, I would suggest getting the right set of tyres for the car. That will help with braking and handling, and overall dynamics.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 15:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If adding substantial money was an option, I would happily sell off the Beat and get an i20 N Line. Polo is not really my thing and honestly it is way too common nowadays. ..
Well let me warn you .. the word “modified” is often associated with substantial money only.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 20:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Let me be the first to warn you to take things easy.
Limit the number of ‘modifications’ you might desire doing, to what you feel are absolutely necessary and choose wisely.

Shelve the whole remap and exhaust plans and start off with a pedal tuning device that will give you crisper throttle output. This will unlock a lot more drivability than any exhaust/remap. Perhaps you can look into upgrading the brake lines and replacing the ABC pedals to restore their original springiness as well in the same regard.

Upgrade the audio setup by adding some good ovals and a ported sub in the back paired with a solid 2-way component setup in the front. Stick to a class a/b amp to power the whole setup and do not bother adding excess damping (your car will not become more silent at all) just focus on eliminating vibration that’s it.

As for lighting just go with one of those high output foglamp projectors and do not mess with the OEM headlight housing. As a small hatchback it ought to be easy to park but if you feel it isn’t then include a touchscreen and reverse camera to your audio upgrade plans.

Regarding tyres and wheels look up the original specs in terms of width, offset and centre bore and stick to those specs (often times getting the original alloys might prove cheaper than going the custom big brand route) otherwise you will simply sap your car of the pep in its step.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 21:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Let me be the first to warn you to take things easy.
Limit the number of ‘modifications’ you might desire doing, to what you feel are absolutely necessary and choose wisely.

Shelve the whole remap and exhaust plans and start off with a pedal tuning device that will give you crisper throttle output. This will unlock a lot more drivability than any exhaust/remap. Perhaps you can look into upgrading the brake lines and replacing the ABC pedals to restore their original springiness as well in the same regard.

Upgrade the audio setup by adding some good ovals and a ported sub in the back paired with a solid 2-way component setup in the front. Stick to a class a/b amp to power the whole setup and do not bother adding excess damping (your car will not become more silent at all) just focus on eliminating vibration that’s it.

As for lighting just go with one of those high output foglamp projectors and do not mess with the OEM headlight housing. As a small hatchback it ought to be easy to park but if you feel it isn’t then include a touchscreen and reverse camera to your audio upgrade plans.

Regarding tyres and wheels look up the original specs in terms of width, offset and centre bore and stick to those specs (often times getting the original alloys might prove cheaper than going the custom big brand route) otherwise you will simply sap your car of the pep in its step.
I really wanted to paint my stock alloys to black(Im still tinking about this very seriously) but I am unsure of how it would look, maybe need to do a couple of renders to get an idea. A VW Virtus in a similar shade of blue looks good with black alloys but I am unsure of how it would look on my car. My car has a touchscreen and a reverse camera already. I just wanted parking sensors to complete the package. Regarding the audio setup, looks like I need to do some research before purchasing stuff. Pedal tuning device, well this is the first time I'm hearing of such a thing. Will definitely dig deeper into it. I really want an exhaust system, atleast an end can. I absolutely love thise pops and bangs and that deep bass that a custom/aftermarket exhaust can deliver.

I want similar type of side skirts and front/rear lips, need to see if such a thing is possible today. I saw this image on the chevy beat tyre upgrade thread. Side skirts, and stock black alloys; really need to do a render to get an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
What modification scope does my Chevy Beat have?-sparkrines17.jpg  

Old 11th July 2024, 06:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really wanted to paint my stock alloys to black(Im still tinking about this very seriously) but I am unsure of how it would look, maybe need to do a couple of renders to get an idea. A VW Virtus in a similar shade of blue looks good with black alloys but I am unsure of how it would look on my car.
Black rims on a tallboy hatch like the Beat will look puny given the high waistline. If they have to be painted perhaps go for something like hyper silver with a touch of gold (not too much gold). Pair that with a silver (similar shade to the roof rails) wrap for the roof and the ORVMs, and your car will stand out and look fresh for very little money. HOT TIP: you can visit your nearest big fancy number plate and radium printing shop to get the wrap done for just a few hundred bucks (makes trying new stuff out very economical)
Quote:
My car has a touchscreen and a reverse camera already. I just wanted parking sensors to complete the package.
Is the backup camera feed/fov not good enough? Because one can go on forever trying to ‘complete the package’ and before you know it you have active guidelines on your reverse camera setup along with 360 degree parking and a whole mess of wiring to cause issues down the road and all for a small hatch that fits everywhere and offers good visibility making it easy to park?
Quote:
I really want an exhaust system, atleast an end can. I absolutely love thise pops and bangs and that deep bass that a custom/aftermarket exhaust can deliver.
Well, you have been warned. But if you absolutely must go for an exhaust setup please make sure to keep the original exhaust and store it properly because someday you will definitely realise its value. Lord knows thieves already have
Quote:
I want similar type of side skirts and front/rear lips, need to see if such a thing is possible today.
As far as I remember the Beat came with pretty soft suspension with decently long travel. Wouldn’t side skirts get scraped? Or do you drive exclusively on good rods?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 11th July 2024 at 07:03.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 13:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
As far as I remember the Beat came with pretty soft suspension with decently long travel. Wouldn’t side skirts get scraped? Or do you drive exclusively on good rods?
Ok so I was about to reply that the Beat has a compliant and not an overly soft setup but today I scraped my car on a route I take everyday and it was very unexpected. If I had side skirts I would have damaged them for sure.

After reading all of these replies, I guess it is best to treat my car as a beater/city commuter. I will install nice speakers and call it a day.

I only want parking sensors, and nothing more than that.
saikishor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 13:27   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok so I was about to reply that the Beat has a compliant and not an overly soft setup but today I scraped my car on a route I take everyday and it was very unexpected. If I had side skirts I would have damaged them for sure.

After reading all of these replies, I guess it is best to treat my car as a beater/city commuter. I will install nice speakers and call it a day.

I only want parking sensors, and nothing more than that.
This is the best decision you could take!

Modifying this car for enhanced performance is an exercise in futility.

You will draw more value from certain modifications like a CarPlay HU with improved speakers and audio.

By doing this, you will have “updated” the car for today’s standards.

Do consider a throttle controller / pedal box. It may satisfy your craving for a zippier driving experience.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 14:07   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok so I was about to reply that the Beat has a compliant and not an overly soft setup but today I scraped my car on a route I take everyday and it was very unexpected.
It is possible that the springs have lost their stiffness and started to sag. See if you can get the springs replaced
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 15:08   #14
BHPian

1. Dampening of all 4 doors
2. A good android HU from Sony or similar
3. Speaker upgrade + Sub woofer
4. Refreshing the suspension
5. All fluid flush + Change (Gearbox oil too)
6. Head porting and polishing
7. Cat-Con check
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 18:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to see what suggestions people have for me.
Beat is a beautiful car and yours looks brand new. Kudos to that upkeep

If I were to do modifications,
Exterior:
I would go for a low profile tyres (bonus improvement in performance)
Some body graphics.
DRLs
Under body lights.

Interior:
Upgrade to an HU with Android Auto / Apple Car play.
Good set of speakers to go with it.
Some ambient lightings

PS. Remember though all these additional expenses are spend for your own love and will not fetch you anything on resale.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks