Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2024, 21:05   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Gujarat government bans bright, white, unauthorised LED lights

As a step in the right direction the Gujarat government has banned unauthorised white LED headlights in all types of vehicles. These have a blinding effect on the oncoming traffic users, also distracting their attention. Multiple complaints have been received by the Transport Department in Gujarat, which has triggered the crackdown. The authorities as a next step will also penalise accessory and spare shops/ auto- electricians selling or installing such accessories.

No doubt, these bright or extra bright white LED headlights have been a public nuisance, but rarely has such a crackdown been initiated by a state government. Its praiseworthy that Gujarat took the step forward. Other state/UT governments need to also take lead in curbing the menace of such bright and unauthorised white LED lights to make the roads safer.

The Transport Commissioner's office would do better, if they seek clearance from the Gujarat High Court for taking such a measure. They need to cite safety and the larger public interest reasons for taking such a corrective measure, lest someone file a writ petition sooner or later to get a stay for the government's action.

Also bribery and underhand dealings could play spoilsport.

Quote:
The installation of unauthorized white LED headlights in any type of vehicle is now prohibited, according to a directive issued by the Commissionerate of Transport. Vehicle owners caught with such modifications will face penalties. The Ahmedabad RTO has already initiated a campaign targeting vehicles with unauthorised lights.

In the directive, the Commissionerate highlighted the seriousness of the issue, citing the danger posed to traffic by vehicles with excessively bright or unauthorized additional lights. The letter requires all RTOs under the Commissionerate’s jurisdiction to conduct enforcement drives and submit action taken reports.

The issue of LED lights is not only confined to urban areas but also extends to vehicles with white headlights on highways, becoming a distraction for drivers in other vehicles and leading to numerous accidents.

In the future, authorities will also crack down on auto accessory shops selling and installing unauthorised white LED lights.
The link:-
https://deshgujarat.com/2024/04/22/v...-begins-drive/

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th April 2024 at 21:08.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (38) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 21:10   #2
BHPian

re: Gujarat government bans bright, white, unauthorised LED lights

This is such a good news. Finally someone has taken note of this rapidly growing menace. The question remains though how this can be implemented in the right way and does not become just another sham like PUC or money making game for the cops.
We all know how the tint ban is working in the country. The only people following the tint ban rule are the ones who are unlikely to do any illegal activities behind those tints. The ones who are more likely to misuse tints still roam without a check.
And what about the fancy number plates which surprisingly no cop sees ever.

The list goes on.....but I am happy at least someone took note of the problem.

Last edited by Rodie09 : 24th April 2024 at 21:13.
Rodie09 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 21:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

How does it affect the glorious white light in some two wheelers and in cars? CMVR needs to be amended is required to limit lumens and warmth of headlights
ph03n!x is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 22:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a stupid move, an overwhelming majority of cars come factory fitted with white LEDs nowadays. Some have it on all variants, some only on the higher ones. You can’t expect cops to know exactly which variant of what car comes with LEDs, and since when. All this will do is cause harassment of road users and generate revenue for the cops.

The obvious solution is to have defined max lumens allowed, and equip the cops with light meters for checking. But nobody will go down that road.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 24th April 2024 at 22:15.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 21:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gujarat government bans bright, white, unauthorised LED lights

One million dollar question. What would happen to OE lights in cars like Suzuki Baleno, which are of higher temperature?

While the rule has merit, they need to implement it across the board, including factory fitted ones. They can sample all new cars in market and stop registration for those which does not meet the regulation.

If they do not, it just becomes another source of revenue than doing any good.
WhiteKnight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 09:24   #6
BHPian

Not sure about the effectiveness of the rule but appreciate the underlying intent.

On a recent multi-state drive, encountered high beam white light the most in southern GJ. Seems it has overtaken even DH and HR in this area.

Generally, seems too many drivers are using upper/dipper for no reason, many times just trying to bully the vehicle ahead of them to give way. Frequently dealing with high-lumen flickering white and coloured headlamps really affects the eyes. Regular auto dimming IRVM are not enough.

When people brazenly adopt ridiculous behaviors, ridiculous laws are bound to follow.
subuiyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 09:55   #7
BHPian

I have often wondered why so many new car owners resort to changing their headlights to a cooler temperature, only to realise when I recently bought my i20 that they come as stock!
The warmer temperatures have always been pleasant on the eyes!
ruskinash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 11:20   #8
BHPian

Forget other vehicles, if the govt can intervene somehow and stop Honda from putting those worthless led headlights on all two wheelers, half the problem will be solved. I own an Activa and I can confirm those led lights are absolute garbage when it comes to actually illuminating the road in high or lowbeam and do nothing except blind oncoming traffic. Hyundai dealerships are also giving option to upgrade stock headlights to led for cars. Blaupunkt led is available for about 7-8k from showroom.
windrider is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 15:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am all for stopping the blinding headlights on vehicles.
But why does Gujarat end up taking initiatives but not so intelligently?
First it was black circle on headlights, then came the red sticker, and now this.

What are they going to do about the OEM LED white lights?

Last edited by alpha1 : 26th April 2024 at 15:46.
alpha1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 03:48   #10
BHPian

A welcome move but it should come from the central government and should be implemented by every state.

Every other trucks have one of these cheap auxiliary LED lights fitted in TN. Buses, including TNSTC and Omni buses have started fitting them. At best, these lights illuminate the close range from their POV(Car stock lamps have better coverage) but for others it is spread everywhere and blinding irrespective of where we are.

And the next menace is stock LED headlights which are also inadequate for the owner but blinding others. I normally drive with low beam and very rarely switch to highbeam. But with these stock headlamps, I fail to realise that it’s on high beam and I forgot to switch to low beam on more than one occasion. The light kind of disappears on wide roads and when there are a many oncoming vehicles.
TorquePull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 19:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I am all for stopping the blinding headlights on vehicles.
But why does Gujarat end up taking initiatives but not so intelligently?
First it was black circle on headlights, then came the red sticker, and now this.

What are they going to do about the OEM LED white lights?
I actually liked the yellow sticker rule. Made driving much better than rest of India.

Overall CMVR needs to be modified.
Old 28th April 2024, 10:56   #12
BHPian

I’ve been living in Ahmedabad for the past 2 years. So I feel qualified to give my take here.

Effectively this is going to be a new avenue for Traffic cops to harass people and make money. They will stop people with cars having factory fitted LED/ white lights and take money from them citing this order.

Ahmedabad city has the worst traffic sense of all the cities I’ve lived in or been through. Rampant wrong side driving, two wheeler riders without helmet, haphazard parking, jumping the signal, wrong side over take, no lane discipline etc etc. It’s just a mess.

Instead of focusing on these real common life threatening issues, they are trying to find a solution to problems that affect a minority.
Autodoc is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 11:17   #13

Now police will harrass cars having factory fitted led white lights.
Instead they should do something about the rampant use of highbeams and accessory lights but who is there to enforce that. Police will take bribes and say nothing.
Its_Arkk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 15:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

The aftermarket fitment of LEDs in headlamps and foglamps are the bane on our roads. Simply retrofitting a reflector headlamp housing with bright LEDs have poor cut-off and focus whilst blinding the living daylights out of oncoming traffic. As stated earlier, the auxiliary lamps of LEDs from autos to buses are just pathetic in their illumination and spread on the road despite their glare.

I think the ruling is not to be confused with OE LED lamps in reflectors designed for a clean cut off. A simple low beam to low beam comparison will reveal the offending modifications. High beams are unforgiving in all cars without the aftermarket distinction, where etiquette and enforcement alone can bring improvements.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 18:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
The aftermarket fitment of LEDs in headlamps and foglamps are the bane on our roads.
I have a view on the contrary. The maximum blinding I've experienced is from the below:
  1. Two Wheelers with OEM LED
  2. Any vehicle on high beam - LED or not

A big issue is that some two wheelers in DRL mode have their high beam LEDs turned on instead of a separate DRL module. Also they don't have self-leveling. So with a pillion, the beam is aiming high. So many variables.

As irritating as retrofits etc are, they're not as many as we make out. On a forum such as this it will appear that as most are enthusiasts. But you cannot beat the sheer volume of OEM LED 2 Wheelers.

In my view, the only real way to fix this is as below:
  1. Effective Streetlamps
  2. High Beam Discipline
  3. Crack down on imports of controlled products and curb at supply side

Yes this is difficult. But we want outcome. Not every rule should be just penalising the average consumer. That's the easy thing to do.
Tassem is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks