Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2023, 22:37   #1
BHPian

How to remove chewing gum from the carpet flooring?

Hi folks. I’ve got an eyesore on my car carpet with a piece of gum stuck and I want to remove it completely, in a clean manner, with zero residue. I’m a stickler to maintaining my interiors. I’ve read that WD40 makes it easier to remove gum (in addition to a lot of other unrelated benefits that WD40 offers). Any experience with this or any other suggestions welcome.
Old 26th May 2023, 00:09   #2
BHPian

re: How to remove chewing gum from the carpet flooring?

Use a steamer and a brush. Its the best non toxic way to remove any kind of sticky mess. A normal cloth steamer like the one used to steam coats or saari or similar garments, will also work.
Mr.U is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 00:17   #3
BHPian

re: How to remove chewing gum from the carpet flooring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodrkn View Post
Hi folks. I’ve got an eyesore on my car carpet with a piece of gum stuck and I want to remove it completely, in a clean manner, with zero residue. I’m a stickler to maintaining my interiors. I’ve read that WD40 makes it easier to remove gum (in addition to a lot of other unrelated benefits that WD40 offers). Any experience with this or any other suggestions welcome.
Oil leaves stains. I assume the gum has been there for a while. Put a bunch of ice cubes on it, it will harden the gum, then you can break the gum and remove the pieces using a comb, or a brush. For the remaining gum, use a hair dryer and heat the area. Wipe it off with a towel. If there is still a spot, apply white vinegar and let it sit for half an hour. Then wipe it off. I have used this method on gum stuck to jeans, should work on carpet as well.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 13:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to remove chewing gum from the carpet flooring?

Use an ice pack. Let the gum become hard. Peel it off and each time you do that, wipe it with rubbing alcohol. With couple of tries you should manage to take out the entire stuff.

Happened with me but in my car's floor mat. Gum stuck to one of the co passenger's footwear and in turn got stuck on the car's mat.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 13:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Like Parag said, ice-pack as a way to remove bubble gum has been shared around on SM. Try it out.

Alt idea - would using a hair dryer to heat the gum help ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 12:32   #6
BHPian

Guys, thank you very much. I used a small piece of ice to just sit on the chewing gum. And kept another piece of ice near the first one to reduce the surround temperature. The ice cubes cooperated with me by not dissolving fast. After about 15 minutes took a scrape and just scooped the whole thing out - one shot, and then rubbed some nail polish remover there to just remove any invisible residue. Done !

Last edited by vinodrkn : 27th May 2023 at 12:46.
vinodrkn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 13:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After about 15 minutes took a scrape and just scooped the whole thing out - one shot, and then rubbed some nail polish remover there to just remove any invisible residue. Done !
Yeah, two things you need to solve most problems at home:

- Hammer
- Nail polish remover or hand sanitizer (also called rubbing alcohol)

If you have a problem, put hand sanitizer or nail polish remover on it to see if it goes away, because both contain 70% to 90% alcohol. It is one of the most reactive substances. Google "rubbing alcohol uses" for all sorts of things you can do with it:

How to remove chewing gum from the carpet flooring?-screenshot_4.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th May 2023 at 13:28.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 14:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
See the below ChrisFix video to remove chewing gum and candies stuck in the carpet. Skip to time 7:40
bobbyblr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks