Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2023, 14:43   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra Thar | Rear seat full-fold modifications for more cargo space

Am seeing a few aftermarket options for the Thar's rear seat folding functionality (surprising that Mahindra hasn't offered this as stock), but would love to read up on first-hand reviews from BHPians.

What I want = Full folding rear seat for airport runs & cargo hauling. Right now, only the rear seat's backrest folds down.

Ideally, options that don't rattle and are of high-quality construction.

BHPian robimahanta got something done locally (link to his post), while Shankar got a solution from Azad (post link). Am also seeing something from Bimbra and other vendors.

Who is the best provider for this? Thanks.

Mahindra Thar | Rear seat full-fold modifications for more cargo space-971d2f8024a44d1d9644f83efe58eb30.jpeg
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 15:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Re: Mahindra Thar | Rear seat full-fold modifications for more cargo space

I did this with Azad 4x4 in Bangalore. In my book they are better than the Bimbra one. Because Bimbra uses two support rods and those use up space.
Azad solution uses the weight of the folded seat itself plus the luggage behind shores it up. As additional security they use luggage elastic stays.
See the pictures attached. This is a huge help. I have been using this since Nov 2022 and have loafed around multiple places with all sorts of luggage including two golf bags and all and am very happy with this.
They simply introduce a hinged flange and this causes the tumble fold to happen. And use those T bolts to secure the seats if the seats are put back into their original position.
Ideally this tumble fold feature ought to have been provided by Mahindra as a factory spec.
Anyway Saksham Kaul of Azad in Bangalore will be able to get this done. It is a 2 hour job and is done at their facility in Hosakote. The contact number is +91 99801 37004.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar | Rear seat full-fold modifications for more cargo space-img_3878.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar | Rear seat full-fold modifications for more cargo space-img_3879.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar | Rear seat full-fold modifications for more cargo space-img_3880.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar | Rear seat full-fold modifications for more cargo space-img_3881.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar | Rear seat full-fold modifications for more cargo space-img_3886.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar | Rear seat full-fold modifications for more cargo space-img_9468.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar | Rear seat full-fold modifications for more cargo space-img_4806.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar | Rear seat full-fold modifications for more cargo space-img_4481.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th April 2023 at 15:38.
shankar.balan is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 13:07   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Would the last row seat from the Mahindra Xylo be a direct fit onto the Thar. It can completely double fold and can be strapped to the front seat headrests.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 17:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Would the last row seat from the Mahindra Xylo be a direct fit onto the Thar. It can completely double fold and can be strapped to the front seat headrests.
My old 2008Scorpio seat also had this functionality.
Cant understand why the new Thar couldn’t.
shankar.balan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 17:48   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big thanks to robimahanta for sharing this! Like Shankar, he also says Azad4x4 has the best solution for this. Contact person Inupreet Chadha @ Azad 4x4 = 9971900303.

GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 11:39   #6
BHPian

How much is the cost involved for both the options?

Also, which one did you find better? Full fold or 50:50? I feel the 50:50 lacks sliding mechanism, isn't it?
Old 28th April 2023, 04:51   #7
BHPian

I'm also looking for something similar. I don't need the slide function. Also don't need the 50/50. Can anyone suggest leads in coimbatore? And what's the cost for the Azad set up?
Old 28th April 2023, 07:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big thanks to robimahanta for sharing this! Like Shankar, he also says Azad4x4 has the best solution for this. Contact person Inupreet Chadha @ Azad 4x4 = 9971900303.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=PIq-tGZlI-I

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=20Xg0HMKzOI
This is a far more elegant and evolved solution than the one I have. Mine cost 5500/- and it is functional.
It’s ok for a vehicle that is largely used as a 2 seater.

But this solution in the YouTube videos is really first class. I think I shall check with Azad and upgrade.
Saksham Kaul of Azad is available in Bangalore. Number. 99801-37004.
shankar.balan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 17:28   #9
akp
BHPian

Bimbra has introduced this in their latest catalogue, where the seats fold sideways. But it seems to be very expensive - quoted as 14990/-, but is actually around 20-22k including the seat covers which they say you must opt for as the seats are cut in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar | Rear seat full-fold modifications for more cargo space-2023041614.13.02scan.jpg  

akp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 00:14   #10
BHPian

If you don't need slider function, just the tumble Azad4x4 version should work fine.

However i personally like his locking approach better, TK Automotive, Ernakulam:

I would personally prefer the slide and tumble both function in the seat as it will be easy to sit 3-4 people, slide the seat forward and have more storage space for luggage. With just the tumble feature, you can sit 2 ppl and luggage or 4 people and default luggage space.
trends2day is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 08:56   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Finally went with the Bimbra option . Primary reason = Azad doesn't have dealers in Bombay and to protect their IP, they want the seat to be couriered to Bangalore. They'll modify the seat and send it back. I liked Azad's solution more as it offered split folding too, but shipping the seats to & fro was too much of a headache. We'd then have to get it fitted out here from someone who wouldn't be familiar with the Azad install.

My primary requirement was a full-folding rear seat for airport runs & cargo hauling.

Good thing about this modification is, no extra hole is drilled anywhere. The rear seat was removed and the modification is to the base of these seats:

Here's a look at the frame that’s added to the base of the rear seat. It comes with a slider, as well as tumble hinges:

Staff making sure that the fitting is perfect. Futurz4x4 (Bimbra's Mumbai dealer) is an A+ outlet and they understand Jeeps well. Half my mods were fitted from them only:

With the seat up, you can’t really make out there is a new frame underneath:

First step is to fold down the rear seat and press the lever on the left downwards. This unlocks the seat and…

…you can push the seat forward. Gives easier access to the nuts at the base of the seat. Take those out and slide the seat back to the original position:

Now, you can tumble the seat forward for additional cargo space. This is not a manufacturer-level seat tumbling mechanism, so it’s not perfect, but it's good enough. Bimbra has also provided placement stands that will hold the seat in the tumbled position. I don't see the need for those as the cargo itself will hold the seat in its folded position. Furthermore, Omkar drove for a few km with the seat folded and it stayed in place. If I need something to hold the seat up, I'll get 2 straps & 2 hooks fitted:

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2023 at 09:25.
GTO is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 06:53   #12
BHPian

This looks like a neat job especially as there are no new holes drilled for the install. Is that the seat cushion/sponge thats visible on the underside? is it visible like that on stock seats or did it happen after the tumble install?

I have been looking for something similar, But have not been able to find someone local here in coimbatore yet. Probably need to look harder. I am very particular about finding someone local as its just easier to deal with issues.
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 09:43   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
I have been looking for something similar, But have not been able to find someone local here in coimbatore yet. Probably need to look harder. I am very particular about finding someone local as its just easier to deal with issues.
1. Get in touch with Bimbra, am sure they'll arrange something for you. I have found the Bimbra team to be top-class in all my interactions with them, whether pre-sales or post-sales. The owner of Bimbra is a BHPian, but his sales & installation team's support was so good, I never even reached out to him.

2. All-India list of dealerships.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 12:44   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
This looks like a neat job especially as there are no new holes drilled for the install. Is that the seat cushion/sponge thats visible on the underside? is it visible like that on stock seats or did it happen after the tumble install?
The exposed sponge is what you get on stock seats. It wasn't cut out for the installation.
Omkar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 14:22   #15
BHPian

Excellent review as always, contemplating some of the mods myself having the same Red Rage CT AT but a diesel model. Will surely try the Bimbra seat tumble mods, as need that seat folding with regular Konkan runs alone or with wife. Do Futurz4X4 have the accessories with them at their Andheri workshop OR do I need to order them and then take then to the workshop for fitment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks