Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2022, 18:38   #1
BHPian

Dashcam review: Sonilex SL-DVR1514

I have a 2012 Ford Figo. The minimalist in me didn't go for any modifications or accessories but, lately, since I've started making regular cross-country runs, I thought a dashcam makes sense.

However, the car is a 2012 model. Another 5 years and I'll have to scrap it. So, even though the heart was leaning towards either 70mai Pro Plus+ or Viofo A129 Duo, the head didn't want to spend that much. Also, I hadn't been able to locate a workshop at Bhubaneswar (it's a new city for me) who would install either 70mai or Viofo if I got it delivered through Amazon. And I myself lack the expertise for a DIY for a dashcam.

So, ultimately, I had to settle for what the car accessories shop was offering me. (It was a shop that was recco-ed by the Ford ASC people, unofficially of course.)

That's how I ended up with Sonilex SL-DVR1514. Got it installed 2 days ago. Product cost 8500/- + labour 300/-

Pros

• Low cost
  • Captures are in 1-minute slices, so when the memory is full and overwriting begins, you lose the oldest 1-min clip
  • Fair enough video quality of the front camera

Cons

• License plates can't be read
  • Poor video quality of the rear camera

I'm sharing two screenshots, one of the front camera and the other of the rear, so that you all can judge for yourself. (Couldn't upload videos.)

Dashcam review: Sonilex SL-DVR1514-front.png

Dashcam review: Sonilex SL-DVR1514-rear.png

Since the reason for getting a dashcam was mental peace in case of any untoward incident, I am hoping this kind of picture quality will be some help. However, I wouldn't recommend this dashcam to anyone else.
A_Basu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 16:50   #2
BHPian

re: Dashcam review: Sonilex SL-DVR1514

My initial thoughts is that you spent a little more than I would on the equipment, but got dated stuff. Do you know what is the resolution of the camera as mentioned in the box?
Somehow I feel there is a hardware mismatch or a setting error.
gopa99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 20:23   #3
BHPian

Re: Dashcam review: Sonilex SL-DVR1514

The box says the resolution is 1280 x 720 and the framerate is 30fps.

However, when I looked at the videos on the laptop, the details pane was showing a framerate of 25 fps.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to see if there is a setting that I can change to improve the pic quality.
Old 20th December 2022, 10:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Basu View Post

Pros

• Low cost
  • Captures are in 1-minute slices, so when the memory is full and overwriting begins, you lose the oldest 1-min clip
  • Fair enough video quality of the front camera
I am not in full agreement to your low cost because the quality also doesn't seem to fully justify your purchase. There are far better dashcams available for around the same price in amazon or flipkart.
Hopefully this setup will give you some peace of mind
Old 20th December 2022, 23:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
That's how I ended up with Sonilex SL-DVR1514. Got it installed 2 days ago. Product cost 8500/- + labour 300/-
You have spent more than 2X of what I did getting my Yi Dashcam which was the VFM pick back in the days. Honestly one of the reason for getting dashcam is capturing number plates and if any camera fails to do so, then its resource wasted. I hope you get a good one next time as this is something you can carry forward in your new ride and most of the time is DIY and doesn't affect warranty or anything. You don't need anyone for basic DIY installation. Just place the suction cup / glue pad on windshield, lock it tight and route the cable to 12V charger. Expertise is needed if you want to hardwire your cam or want a clean wiring, hidden inside panels.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...sh-camera.html (Review: YI Dash Camera)

Last edited by Samfromindia : 20th December 2022 at 23:21.
Old 21st December 2022, 10:55   #6
BHPian

[quote=Samfromindia;5460810]Expertise is needed if you want to hardwire your cam or want a clean wiring, hidden inside panels.

Yes, I needed the cables to be hidden, and I did not want to use suction cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchamp View Post
I am not in full agreement to your low cost because the quality also doesn't seem to fully justify your purchase. There are far better dashcams available for around the same price in amazon or flipkart.
Hopefully this setup will give you some peace of mind
Agree This is for peace of mind. Amazon does have options, but I wouldn't have been able to install them myself, and I did not want dangling wires.
Old 22nd December 2022, 23:42   #7
BHPian

First of all, welcome to Bhonsor

Coincidentally I too installed a Viofo A229 around 1/2 week back. Mr. Vijay from Viofo.in sent me details of a mechanic from Bhubaneswar (same seller who sells the Viofo dashcam at Amazon). The shop was present to the immediate right of Sky Automobiles, Patia service centre. I think it was called autoform or something along those lines.

Hope this info helps if you are planning to get one in future.

That said a dashcam has become a necessary safety feature these days given how bad the traffic has become and poor road sense in general. Glad you invested in one of these.
Silent Buddha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 12:01   #8
BHPian

8500 isn't low cost at all. Did you not check video sample before buying? My 3 year old blueskysea dashcam that costed me 4k takes way better footage. Sorry but you got ripped off!
Old 23rd December 2022, 12:30   #9
BHPian

I paid 3500 for a DDPai Mini on my car that takes much better videos than this, both in the day time as well as at night (no rear camera though). Even if you aren't into DIY, it doesn't take much to simply attach the dashcam onto the windscreen and plug it into the 12v socket. That's what I did.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 16:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Buddha View Post
The shop was present to the immediate right of Sky Automobiles, Patia service centre. I think it was called autoform or something along those lines.

Hope this info helps if you are planning to get one in future.
Thank you for the shop reference. Is this the shop you're referring to?

Dashcam review: Sonilex SL-DVR1514-screenshot-20221225-161055.png
Old 26th December 2022, 01:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the shop reference. Is this the shop you're referring to?

Attachment 2393936
What you have pointed out is the showroom. There is another one not too far from it, near KIIT square which is specifically a service centre.

Maps link to it: https://maps.app.goo.gl/VGnnx6WEwsEnva4s8

There is one shop just to the right of this service centre. Though I did not find the shop on gmap.

There are a few more from KIIT square to Nandankanan, but many of them might have vanished in the recent anti-encroachment drive.

Though the vast majority of vehicle accessories/tyre shop in the city have historically been between Rasulgarh & Kalpana square (Esplanade mall is in that line).

Hope this info is helpful.
Silent Buddha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks