Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2022, 23:17   #1
BHPian

Headlight options very confusing | Which to upgrade to?

Dear All,

Stock headlights on my Jazz are just okay-ish, so, intend to upgrade since i'll have to invariably travel more frequently these days after sunset.

Intention of this thread: I searched TBHP posts, but, wasn't clear with the information i got. I need advice from our knowledgeable members on:
1. Which is better Philips XtremeVision Plus OR Osram Night Breaker?
2. Even among these, there are multiple confusing options. Philips Xtreme Vision G-Force mentions H1, H3, H4, H7, H11, HB3, HB4, HIR2. Which is the right one for Jazz ?
3. Osram's Night Breaker family has - Night Breaker Unlimited, Night Braker Laser and Xenarc Night Breaker Unlimited. Which among these is better?
4. Between Philips and Osram, which is better in terms of light throw, clarity during rains and reliability?

Any Jazz owners who have upgraded to above, please advice.

Thank You.

Last edited by VikramCS : 13th December 2022 at 23:19.
VikramCS is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 17:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Headlight options very confusing | Which to upgrade to?

No personal experience but stating from some posts I came across when a friend wanted to change/upgrade his Jazz's fog lamps.

Someone better informed and experienced might be able to guide you better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post
1. Which is better Philips XtremeVision Plus OR Osram Night Breaker?
2. Even among these, there are multiple confusing options. Philips Xtreme Vision G-Force mentions H1, H3, H4, H7, H11, HB3, HB4, HIR2. Which is the right one for Jazz ?
3. Osram's Night Breaker family has - Night Breaker Unlimited, Night Braker Laser and Xenarc Night Breaker Unlimited. Which among these is better?
4. Between Philips and Osram, which is better in terms of light throw, clarity during rains and reliability?
1. Osram NightBreaker Laser has good reviews but Philips Xtreme Vision Plus is reputed to last longer.
2. Those are the bulb types(design). Jazz should be H4, your manual would contain that info.
3. Laser is the only one I had heard about but that's my limited exposure.
4. Philips Xtreme Vision plus is supposed to have better reliability over Osram NightBreaker Laser.

Again these are from what I read on the forum and beyond, no experience though and it might not be accurate.
But going with Xtreme Vision Plus would be playing safe, IMO.
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 18:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Also a word of advice avoid white lights while upgrading, they will generally just look good but visibility and throw is hampered.
AtheK is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 08:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dropping in some links, hope it helps :

- HL upgrade 1 (Upgrading the stock headlights)

- HL upgrade caution (Upgrading the stock headlights)

- Osram NB test (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)

- The Auto Lighting thread (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)

You can just disregard my earlier post and read straight from the folks who have tried it first hand and also understand the risks.

Last edited by shancz : 15th December 2022 at 08:37. Reason: spacing
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 09:10   #5
BHPian

Blaupunkt is a very reliable German brand with direct to consumer presence in India (https://blaupunktcar.in/) along with support (maybe like Bosch). It sells Lights, Rear Cams, Dash Cams, Car audio, Dampening sheets along with other stuff.

Why then there are very few reviews or recommendations for their products vs. online/unbranded products. I thought it would be a no brainer to buy from them for any upgrades. Do they have a QC issue in the market or are the products fake?
VPJ74 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 14:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

Stock headlights on my Jazz are just okay-ish, so, intend to upgrade since i'll have to invariably travel more frequently these days after sunset.

Any Jazz owners who have upgraded to above, please advice.

Thank You.
Hi Vikram,

Totally agree that the stock lights are not great. Had a tough time travelling 60 kms on a highway, 2 weeks ago (had to slow down due to lack of brightness). Last week, therefore, I upgraded headlights in my Honda Jazz VX CVT with Osram H4 LED. Detailed impressions here (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here).

The local vendor quoted INR 5K (MRP 5600). I argued that it is selling for INR 3300 on Amazon, to which he said go with Amazon, so I ordered from Amazon. Along with that, I also ordered white Osram parking lights, as yellow lights next to white looks ugly.

Product Link for the headlights + parking lights combo-package (INR 3.7K): https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Reason behind choosing this (for now): I too was looking for better halogens, but BHPian Behemoth advised that there wouldn't be significant improvement. Details here (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here). Ideally read all communication between myself and Behemoth, starting from this point, to get the full perspective. I am still keen on halogens, but only during the monsoon seasons for now.

I still have a feeling that halogens were at least illuminating the side-areas, whereas it is pitch dark with these LEDs. This is because LEDs do not emit lights in all directions (unlike halogens). However, I am planning a Pune-Mumbai-Pune trip early next week. Am planning to keep some part of the journey intentionally in the night, on the Pune-Mumbai express way (which is usually pitch dark). If you could hold on till then, I will be happy to share my experience.

These are of course white lights (6000K) which should be avoided in monsoon. I could not find good 4300K LED lights, hence settled for this. But in any case (and this is important), I have decided to use these lights during non-monsoon months. During monsoon, I intend to use either stock halogens or preferably a slightly better yet 60/55W halogens during monsoon. Will research on better halogens before the monsoon (please share your impressions if you go with any halogens). Thanks to my helpful mechanic, I have learnt to install these myself, well, hopefully! Please be aware that installing these LEDs require some installation skills and minor twisting with/tampering of rubber gaskets (luckily no cutting was required, only twisting the rubber/cover to match the updated design).

Last edited by jaysheth : 15th December 2022 at 14:32. Reason: Added further details
jaysheth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 14:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Dropping in some links, hope it helps
Thank you very much for sharing the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
If you could hold on till then, I will be happy to share my experience.
Brilliant! Thank You very much JaySeth for your valuable inputs. Indeed, i will wait for you to share you experience on this thread on your night drive on Pune-Mumbai Expressway..drive safe though

Regards, Vikram

Last edited by libranof1987 : 15th December 2022 at 20:41. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts, trimming quoted posts.
Old 15th December 2022, 18:06   #8
BHPian

In my previous car, linea, the head light bulbs were upgraded to better halogen bulbs.

My current altroz's stock halogens were poor. So, after a lot of research, I have 4300K HID bulbs for low beam and 6000K LED Bulbs for high beam. I have experienced this for two years now. HID and LED perform well in dark roads. But when oncoming vehicles have their headlamps on, HID and LED suck.

With all of this, I can say that a pair of well performing halogen bulbs are the best. And they are cheaper. This is on the type of bulbs.
Benoit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 14:49   #9
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For my Ford Ecosport, I utilised Philips H4 (90/100W) and Thimson Relay. With the current arrangement, installing this relay is quite simple and doesn't need cutting or soldering any existing wiring.

According to a customer review, this is utilised for the Honda Brio. So, in my opinion, Jazz shouldn't have any issues with this either.
RGK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 15:32   #10
BHPian

Dear Vikram,
My 2019 Honda Jazz has H4 bulb
I was in a similar Dilemma few years back
What I could gather from online reviews abroad both the bulbs you are considering have very short life span. Hence went the LED way.
Using blaupunkt led 9x pro 6000k H4 for my honda Jazz. It’s way better than stock but the focus is good not great. My suggestion is go for led if you are ok with 6000k. You can try Blaupunkt V19 Pro Led. They are brighter than 9x pro.
Cheers
Bravo
bravo82in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 20:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
Blaupunkt is a very reliable German brand with direct to consumer presence in India
Why then there are very few reviews or recommendations for their products vs. online/unbranded products. I thought it would be a no brainer to buy from them for any upgrades. Do they have a QC issue in the market or are the products fake?
Few clarifications regarding Blaupunkt - Is no longer a German brand now and is no longer into any manufacturing compared to before. Someone has brought that trademark only. Right now, they are just an importer and source products from various locations like China etc and slap the brand name into it. Compared to this Osram and Philips have actually been manufacturing their own products with R&D and I would bank on them for quality anyday. I have had two Blaupunkt head units earlier with me and while I have no complaints about it, it isn't what it was before. Thats why products and offering is somewhat inconsistent, with new versions coming up and product portfolio growing randomly. None of it is their own R&D or production.

Coming to the actual problem itself, please clarify if you have a double barrel headlight setup or a single one for both high and low beam. I have seen Jazz With both so not sure.

If yours is a single barrel reflector with a H4 bulb for combined high and low beam, stick to Osram NB or Philips extreme vision. I have had night breaker in my celerio from six years and 66k kms and the bulb hasn't fused.

If you have a dual barrel setup with separate high and low beam, my favorite combination would be Osram/Phillips LED for low beam and Xtremevision/NB laser for high beam. It would give the best of beam spread as well as throw and will be a boon on the highway. Make sure the installation is correct especially with the LED which is sensitive to the rotation of the bulb.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 22:07   #12
BHPian

I ain't a Jazz owner but suffer from poor illumination in Turbo Duster.

I read around the forum and was informed the upgrade of bulbs just don't do magic at all in most cases. Also excess illumination will blind the road ahead.

I was suggested quiet a few things rather than bulb upgrade. Please read through here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5443793 (Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades)
Ritz2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 22:15   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
In my previous car, linea, the head light bulbs were upgraded to better halogen bulbs.

My current altroz's stock halogens were poor. So, after a lot of research, I have 4300K HID bulbs for low beam and 6000K LED Bulbs for high beam. I have experienced this for two years now. HID and LED perform well in dark roads. But when oncoming vehicles have their headlamps on, HID and LED suck.

With all of this, I can say that a pair of well performing halogen bulbs are the best. And they are cheaper. This is on the type of bulbs.
I wholeheartedly second this. I have experimented with a number of LED bulbs and have resigned to using halogen aux lamps as almost all my drives are by night.

Even the pricey projectors fade after a few months of use and force the user to revert back to stock lamps.

You can try Hella 60 mm projectors in the place of fog lamps. This might cost up to 5k for purchase and installation. This is an option I wanted to try but haven't till now. I will never be able to try it because I have removed the RHS fog lamp as it was fouling with the air horns.
COMMUTER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 07:26   #14
BHPian

Personally upgraded my Amaze with Osram night breaker laser. Low beam is good, but high beam is poor especially on highways. Better to go with 90/100 bulb with relay.
Hemantteen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 08:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
Blaupunkt is a very reliable German brand with direct to consumer presence in India (https://blaupunktcar.in/) along with support (maybe like Bosch). It sells Lights, Rear Cams, Dash Cams, Car audio, Dampening sheets along with other stuff.

Blaupunkt no longer designs and manufactures their own products. It has witnessed the same fate as Westinghouse. It used to be very good, but the company no longer exists. The brand of blaupunkt, however, continues to exist in a licensing format. Meaning any company can pay a royalty to blaupunkt (now Aurelius AG) and stamp their name on their products. Most of these companies are Chinese no-name companies. That is why you see the quality of blaupunkt is no longer the same.
vedirah is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks