Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2022, 09:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Headlight options very confusing | Which to upgrade to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
That is why you see the quality of blaupunkt is no longer the same.
Ditto, like Kodak TVs
Blaupunkt in it's haydays was operating in the audio/ICE sector competing with JVC, Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood etc.
I haven't heard about them in lighting like Philips and Osram have been known to.

OT :
As a general rule I try to stick with manufacturers who have been manufacturing products for some decades or which is their core strength rather than brands with no real connection to the product.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 10:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post
1. Which is better Philips XtremeVision Plus OR Osram Night Breaker?
2. Even among these, there are multiple confusing options. Philips Xtreme Vision G-Force mentions H1, H3, H4, H7, H11, HB3, HB4, HIR2. Which is the right one for Jazz ?
3. Osram's Night Breaker family has - Night Breaker Unlimited, Night Braker Laser and Xenarc Night Breaker Unlimited. Which among these is better?
4. Between Philips and Osram, which is better in terms of light throw, clarity during rains and reliability?
I have been using Philips XtremeVision Plus for couple of years now on my Ritz and I am very satisfied with their performance and lifespan. I also wanted to upgrade the headlights of my Jazz to the Philips bulbs but I stopped when I noticed that the current Jazz top model comes with full LED headlights and fog lamps. I would love to upgrade to those. Can someone who knows if that is possible kindly let me know? Thank you in advance. BTW Jazz uses H4 lightbulbs.

Last edited by RedPhobos : 17th December 2022 at 10:19.
RedPhobos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 14:55   #18
BHPian

I recently brought home a WRV and based on reviews I was thinking to upgrade the bulbs before I hit the highway. I was considering Philips/Osram halogen bulbs.
I checked in a auto accessories shop and the guy said that without using additional relays Philips/Osram bulbs will not make any difference compared to stock bulbs. Instead he suggested LED lights from Lucas costing 7k per pair. He said it fits in to the stock housing directly and doesn't need relays. Is his suggestion correct?
I don't want to use relays and stuff that can Barr my waranty.
Old 17th December 2022, 16:48   #19
BHPian

I am using Philips Xtremevision H4 purchased on Amazon in 2015 and it is still working in 2022. However in my dad's car one of the Osram Night breaker H4 purchased in 2019 failed this year in 2022. However, I feel that the brightness of the Philips Xtremevision has reduced now than how bright it was when I first installed it. The reason I purchased these H4s was to have a higher brightness at the stock power rating 12 Volt 55/60W for each headlamp. However, my experience is that these bulbs only improve the brightness only marginally. These bulbs are filled with a different pressurized gas that vary the colour temperature of the light to a more whitish tint. But they don't lead to a significant improvement in brightness. For this slight improvement in brightness they come at price of 5X or 6X the ordinary generic H4 bulbs. Not at all value for money. However these are legal and will not void the warranty of the car. One issue you always face in Xtremevision and Nightbreakers is that the whiter light brings down visibility when it rains and the road is wet.

If one wants higher brightness they could go for 12V 90/100W installed with a robust relay and wiring system but this will load the electric circuits of the car significantly. In some 800 to 1000 CC engines the engine RPM dips when we switch on the headlamps with 90/100W such is the high power draw of these lamps. Also a big issue with 90/100 is the heat produced inside the headlamp. It deteriorates the headlamp reflectors and plastic glass making them fogged and dull in a few years time. But this is only if you drive a lot at night. In slow moving city traffic there is not sufficient airflow cooling down the headlamp at that time 90/100s will create more problems.

With LED and Xenon headlights they are illegal due to the higher power draw and extreme brightness and might back fire on us by oncoming traffic driving in to us, as it will affect the visibility and be blindingly bright for oncoming traffic. Also the whiter cooler shade of LEDs has created issues on rainy days for many. A good visibility is achieved only with an optimum mix of white and yellow colour temperatures. However, there are such LED headlight models today with a mix of yellow light giving good visibility.

Overall, I second and agree to the thoughts of other members here that a stock headlamp used with a well focused LED projector fog lamp is an optimum solution and the LED fog lamps can be switched on as and when required when visibility conditions are poor. It is my belief that LED projector fog lamps don't affect visibility as much as a very bright headlamps for oncoming traffic because fog lamps are set at a lower height.

However one needs to consider this carefully by finding out the implications on the warranty validity of the car.
trail_lover is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 18:05   #20
BHPian

I've been using Philips RacingVision H4 on my WRV for the last 3+ years. At that time it was the best one can get in a halogen. Gives out somewhat whitish light (not too white as the LED). Has a good throw and brightness. It has been hassle free since sep 2019. I was using xtreme vision prior to that.
Old 17th December 2022, 19:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajoseph04 View Post
I've been using Philips RacingVision H4 on my WRV for the last 3+ years. At that time it was the best one can get in a halogen.
Did you add some extra relay's or just changed the bulbs?
Old 17th December 2022, 20:17   #22
BHPian

I believe that every headlamp, i.e. it's shape, optics and reflectors are not designed the same. A particular type of headlamp halogen bulb might perform great only in some type of cars due to the headlamp design and might not have a noticeable improvement in other types. So I think we will know about the performance of a bulb 100% only after it is fitted and tested statically and dynamically on a particular car. We cant draw a conclusion about the performance of a particular halogen by comparing it's performance on two different makes/models or both. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So I guess need to take inputs about a halogen headlamp bulb performance from user of the same make/model and version with similar type of headlamps.
Old 17th December 2022, 22:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerH View Post
Did you add some extra relay's or just changed the bulbs?
No relay or any other electrical modification. It was just DIY 1:1 replacement. You may check your user manual to know the type of bulb used. Most probably it should be the same H4.
Old 17th December 2022, 23:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I recently brought home a WRV and based on reviews I was thinking to upgrade the bulbs before I hit the highway. I was considering Philips/Osram halogen bulbs.
I checked in a auto accessories shop and the guy said that without using additional relays Philips/Osram bulbs will not make any difference compared to stock bulbs. Instead he suggested LED lights from Lucas costing 7k per pair. He said it fits in to the stock housing directly and doesn't need relays. Is his suggestion correct?
I don't want to use relays and stuff that can Barr my waranty.
The shop owner is scamming you and pushing you to purchase super expensive lights from him. Try the Philips Xtremevision Plus, they cost 1700 or so on Amazon, a fraction of the cost of the Lucas lights and they don’t require any relays or anything. Just plug and play; you can install them yourself, like I did in my car and they will not void your car’s warranty either.
Old 18th December 2022, 10:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajoseph04 View Post
No relay or any other electrical modification. It was just DIY 1:1 replacement. You may check your user manual to know the type of bulb used. Most probably it should be the same H4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPhobos View Post
Try the Philips Xtremevision Plus, they cost 1700 or so on Amazon, a fracti.....Just plug and play; you can install them yourself, like I did in my car and they will not void your car’s warranty either.
Yes. It's still the same H4 bulb. I am clear now what to do - Philips racing or Xtreme vision depending on availability. Thank you both for the help.
HummerH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 11:52   #26
BHPian

Can someone in the know kindly confirm if the LED headlights and fog lamps of the current top of the line Honda Jazz can be retrofitted into the earlier iteration of the car, which came with similar headlamp shape but with halogen bulbs? Thank you in advance.
Old 19th December 2022, 12:59   #27
BHPian

I am planning to buy a Punch Adventure which comes with Halogen headlights and no fog lights.

Dealership sells and installs a Tata Punch genuine accessory Fog lamps which I believe are DLAA 0940 LED Fog + Positioning kit for ~8000.

The car will mostly be used as a city runner in Mumbai. I rarely drive at nights but occasional trips to Pune/Lonavala/Nashik will happen. My primary need for installing Fog lights is better visibility and safety during monsoon rains and fog in Maharashtra.

I am not aware of Punch’s headlight quality but am happy with Halogens and not a fan of LED or DRLs. I would prefer to install a Halogen Fog Lamp also if possible.

Should I install the Tata Fogs lights during delivery? Or should I wait and drive the car for a while before installing Fogs? Should I install an aftermarket better quality Fogs like Philips/Osram/Hella? Are there good and reliable aftermarket installers in Mumbai?
Old 19th December 2022, 22:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone in the know kindly confirm if the LED headlights and fog lamps of the current top of the line Honda Jazz can be retrofitted into the earlier iteration of the car, which came with similar headlamp shape but with halogen bulbs? Thank you in advance.
Please check with the SA or Honda ASC. They will be the right people to advise. Just in case you can't get the info, please DM. I'll try to check with ASC folks known to me. (Answering since no one has responded)
bajoseph04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 19:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. It's still the same H4 bulb. I am clear now what to do - Philips racing or Xtreme vision depending on availability. Thank you both for the help.
I was able to source Philips Xtreme vision pro 150 H4 bulbs from a local auto spare parts store@ 800 a piece and installed it today. Sharing photos for reference with Philips bulb on the right side and stock phoenix in the left

High beam and Low beam respectively in the photos. Couldn't take it on the road so don't know how much difference it makes in throw and spread. But, Philips look brighter on the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Headlight options very confusing | Which to upgrade to?-img_20221222_181858451.jpg  

Headlight options very confusing | Which to upgrade to?-img_20221222_181943273.jpg  

HummerH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 22:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Well, what you want is partially possible. Honda is happy to sell you their ZX LED headlamps for INR 13K. As per them this is a plug and play setup with no changes to the headlamp assembly. Keep in mind that these are not LED projector headlamps, but these are LEDs from a brand called Martini, to be housed in the existing reflector setup. All 3 Jazz variants (V, VX and ZX) come with reflector setup only.

I recently upgraded my headlamps to Osram LED H4, and therefore not keen for the above recommendation.

On the foglamp front, the story is quite different. I need dedicated fog lamps but Honda is not allowing it. If your iteration of the car has 3" round projector foglamp setup already, you are lucky. If I had these slots in my variant, I would have gone with IPH M617 tri-colour LED foglamps. In my case (Honda Jazz VX 2022 variant), Honda has housed DRLs in foglamp slots, and they are adamant about allowing any changes, even from their own top-variant assembly. They say if I do any such modifications, even through them, the warranty will be void! I am awaiting expert opinion on this. Hope this sheds some light to your query, though I had wished to have foglamps to shed some light on the road (pun intended! ) But response from Honda is frustrating when their own stock headlight setup is not adequate and yet they are pushing their esteemed customers to live with this risk, viz. without foglamps!!

Last edited by jaysheth : 22nd December 2022 at 22:04.
jaysheth is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed