Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car should I choose as my Project car?
Polo 1.2 GT TSI 81 64.80%
Ameo 1.5 TDI DSG 44 35.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2022, 18:49   #1
BHPian

Choosing a project car! VW Polo 1.2 TSI vs Ameo 1.5 TDI

Hey everyone I happen to be someone who has both - Polo GT TSI and Ameo TDI DSG in his garage, and now, I believe the time has come to spice things in life just a little bit! LET’S GET IT TUNED
However I’m confused which one to choose!
Name:  2E5F8E3014B3429DAEF6C7BB32E02B8F.jpeg
Views: 785
Size:  41.8 KB
1- POLO 1.2 GT TSI
White colour, 4 years old, with around 30k on the odo.
A refined engine with punchy low, high range but down on outright torque and fuel economy. Also, has a stiffer suspension thus is a better handler.

2- Ameo 1.5 TDI DSG
White colour (again), almost of the same age but around 45-50k on the odo.
Punchy engine with great mid range, higher capacity, better FE, more space and feels oblivious to the emission norms. It has a very raw, kinda noisey motor, with a softer suspension and at 50k I’m worried about how long the beauty DSG is going to hold up.

Being a resident of Dehradun, where and how should I get a tune in my car and which one should I choose to go forward with?

Last edited by QuentinTino : 18th October 2022 at 10:12.
QuentinTino is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 09:18   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Choosing a project car! VW Polo 1.2 TSI vs Ameo 1.5 TDI

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line!

The Polo . Looks better, wicked turbo-petrol, extremely mod-friendly, can get a great sounding free-flow exhaust, is red coloured , a better handler. The Ameo's styling is a bit weird and however good that 1.5L TDI is, there's nothing quite like high-revving a petrol.

Mod the petrol and keep the diesel as the family workhorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuentinTino View Post
Hey everyone I happen to be someone who has both - Polo GT TSI and Ameo TDI DSG in his garage
Man, you really have guts to own two DQ200s, that too in Dehradun!
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 09:54   #3
BHPian

Wow! Two DSG Cars one in diesel and the other in petrol, absolutely wicked!. Now moving on to which one to tune, Obviously the Polo, it's the hot hatch and would be a better handler as well.

The Diesel DSG Ameo would be a great mile muncher and best left for the family, being a more spacious car with a practical cabin and slightly better boot.

Last edited by bijims : 19th October 2022 at 09:56.
bijims is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 16:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line!

The Polo …..

Mod the petrol and keep the diesel as the family workhorse.

Man, you really have guts to own two DQ200s, that too in Dehradun!
Haha yes, this gives me nightmares sometimes but I will probably sell it before it reaches 1 lakh km before taking chances.
Also, yes petrol is a natural option but can the 1.2 “replace the bigger displacement” of 1.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Wow! Two DSG Cars one in diesel and the other in petrol, absolutely wicked!. Now moving on to which one to tune, Obviously the Polo, it's the hot hatch and would be a better handler as well.

The Diesel DSG Ameo would be a great mile muncher and best left for the family, being a more spacious car with a practical cabin and slightly better boot.
Yes, that is true sir.
Just that I had forgot to mention I also have 320d and a Crysta for other duties.
QuentinTino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 17:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that is true sir.
Just that I had forgot to mention I also have 320d and a Crysta for other duties.
If that's the case, the Ameo Diesel 1.5 DSG may tuned up then, Here's a video (sorry it's in Tamil) and an article on a Stage 3+ tuning of the Ameo Diesel 1.5 DSG:

Article

bijims is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 08:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the Ameo DSG tuned. The 1.5 TDI has far better tuning potential than the 1.2 TSI.

Fellow mod suhaas307 has documented the shortcomings of the 1.2 TSI very well on his GT TSI ownership thread. It's an old school 8V engine with below average heat management and is prone to higher intake air temperatures under high loads. It isn't what I would call particularly revv happy either. The internals aren't all that strong. It might have been "cutting edge" almost a decade back in the midst of vanilla 1.2 and 1.4 NA petrols, but it simply doesn't make the cut anymore in my opinion.

The 1.5 TDI on the other hand has very strong internals and can easily touch 170-190hp on stock internals, with a turbo and intercooler upgrade. BHPian braj did it on his Polo 1.6 GT TDI.

What you do need to worry about irrespective of engine choice is the DSG. Torque limits are officially capped at 250nm. You can put higher torque through it post TCU remap, but a stock DSG on these is prone to be problematic, so you can imagine what I am hinting at.

To sum up , from a pure performance POV, you will max out the 1.2 TSI's tuning potential far earlier than the 1.5 TDI. Unless you give a lot of importance to exhaust sound and the higher redline of the petrol (as I said, this is sort of pointless since the 1.2 TSI doesn't revv very freely for a petrol thanks to the SOHC setup), the 1.5 TDI wins this one for me.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th October 2022 at 17:17. Reason: IAT - intake air temperature
vishy76 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 09:05   #7
BHPian

I voted POLO. Ameo for utility and Polo for fun definitely.
Gildarts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 09:22   #8
BHPian

As vishy76 has already detailed, you cannot realize much gains from tuning 1.2 TSI. It is best enjoyed in stock form - but yes you install a good exhaust and upgrade the suspension/ lower it. What you can consider for Polo though instead of performance upgrades are RETROFITS - it is the best canvas to update a plethora of parts. Period.

I would say tune the Ameo 1.5 TDI and consider retrofits for Polo 1.2 TSI.
anuragbagur is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 10:54   #9
anb
BHPian

The 1.5 TDI has more tuning potential than 1.2 TSI and it will be much faster too. 1.5 TDI will make close to 200 bhp after a turbo and inter cooler upgrade. But here the limiting factor is the DQ 200 transmission
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 11:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey everyone I happen to be someone who has both - Polo GT TSI and Ameo TDI DSG in his garage, and now, I believe the time has come to spice things in life just a little bit! LET’S GET IT TUNED
I actually voted for Ameo in haste without realizing that both the cars were actually DSG!!

The moment I read TSI vs TDI, I just blindly voted for the latter. I assumed that the TDI in question here was MT. Although I cannot change my vote, I go for the Polo GT TSi in this particular comparison.

GT TSI's only flaw that I have read about is its DQ200 gearbox. You cannot go wrong if with this car if you know how to work around this
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 11:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
However I’m confused which one to choose!
Being a resident of Dehradun, where and how should I get a tune in my car and which one should I choose to go forward with?
Hi Quentin, what an amazing garage !

You should definitely go with the Ameo TDI. There are plenty YouTube videos showing the mod potential of the TDI engines and you can definitely get a sleeper.

As for experienced garages who can get the job done, there is absolutely nothing in Dehradun. I'd suggest contacting Autopsyche and GTTunerz in Delhi. They have years of experience and have built 100s of VWs. Just get a ECU&TCU remap, suspension upgrade, chrome delete and all black wheels. Let us know how it goes !
Yash390 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 12:10   #12
BHPian

I agree with Vishy76's points about the TDi vs TSi, but I would still say tune the Polo, and here's why.

1) The 1.5TDi already makes 250nm of torque when stock, which is the upper limit of the spec for the DSG. They're pretty notorious for failure, and while the diesel can easily be tuned or remapped to produce much more power (I believe even the stage 1 remaps get around 130bhp with 320nm of torque), it comes with the possibility of failure on an already notorious gearbox.

2) The TDi is a pretty good performer even when stock. Meanwhile the 1.2TSi is a pretty mediocre engine, as mentioned by Vishy76, and a remap would be that much more noticeable. A remap from 175nm to 210nm is 20% more torque, and the rather anemic engine could definitely use the extra torque. However heat management and other things might be a problem, but for enthusiastic driving I'd much rather have 20% more torque in a car that desperately needs it (IMO torque is the biggest weakness in the 1.2TSi drivetrain) than 25-30% more torque in a car that already has plenty on offer. The TSi-equipped cars would become so much more fun to drive with more torque.

3) The Ameo doesn't seem to have the most planted suspension on the road. I've noticed Polos and Rapid/Ventos whizzing by, even at great speed, with perfect stability, but all the Ameos I've seen are quite bouncy in comparison and the Ameo TDi is probably already chassis-limited.

If it were a manual Polo GT, I would definitely vote for getting the TDi remapped over the TSi. Diesels just have so much more tuning headroom than petrols. There are many examples of BHPians (brraj himself has done this twice, IIRC - the 1.6TDi in the Polo and the 2.0CRDi in the 3rd gen Elantra) tuning their 100-110bhp diesels to produce nearly 200bhp!

Last edited by rkv_2401 : 20th October 2022 at 12:12.
rkv_2401 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 13:48   #13
BHPian

You can make this choice simple! Which one would you rather loose? Which one is more special?

Based on those 2 questions, I would keep the GT TSI stock for the long haul, and sacrifice the uglier Ameo.
ashwin489 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 14:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

1.5 TDI has more tuning potential than 1.2 TSI and makes a more sensible choice.
But still voted for Polo, as it would look much better with bigger wheels, lowered stance etc.
Or why not do a best of both worlds. Do a simple stage 1 remap with Ameo (no other changes) and go full blown with Polo. Stage 1 remap in Ameo anyway will be around 20k only.
No need to worry about DQ200 as it will be more or less same reliable if you keep it stock or do a TCU tune. It will be your luck.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 17:49   #15
BHPian

Assuming that you are planning on getting a Stage 1 map I would recommend to keep the TSI stock as you are unlikely to feel any tangible difference from the extra horses. Tuners claim anywhere from a 15 - 25 hp, which I would take with a pinch of salt and even if it is true the fun is only gonna last till the initial few days till you get used to it and then you are gonna crave more.

I would suggest to invest the money in more functional upgrades such as paddle shifters(unless you have it already), maxi-dot cluster(which would rejuvenate the cockpit) and an under-seat sub for me-tunes. Also, I would check on that suspension too if its feeling stiff.

Not to discourage you from getting that tune. Just my two cents. ��

Last edited by corvus corax : 20th October 2022 at 17:51.
corvus corax is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks