Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2022, 10:23   #1
BHPian

Hi all, Yesterday I happened to be part of the Jeep Trail that they organised ( was an exciting event. Will share pics in different post ). Few Meridians had Dashcams installed. The cams were whitelabelled with Mopar brand.

When enquired, they confirmed that it's an approved accessory for Meridian and can be installed for Compass too. For Compass they said they are awaiting the confirmation from Jeep on warranty terms by end of this week.

Below is the spec, they shared. Seems to be pricier when compared to those we get online.
Dash camera - Front and RearFront: Rs. 36000

FHD (1920 X1080P) / Rear FHD (1920 X1080P)
• LCD: 3.5” TSP LCD (480 X 320) IPS Type
• Video format: H.265 MP4
• Support True HDR
• ADAS (FCWS, uFCWS, LDWS, FVDW
• Ultra Night Vision 2.0 (Driving & Parking Mode )
• Energy Saving Parking Mode (Radar)
• Radar Parking Mode (Optional Radar sensor needed)
• Time Lapse (Parking Mode Only)
• Safety Camera Alert (Speed & Red right camera alert)
• Support up to 64GB Micro SD Card
• Support Inavi Connected pro
• Support Format Free 2.0

The pic I captured using my phone was blurry. Didn't think of posting it when I did it. Excuse me for that.

Update to this thread on 20th August:

I went ahead and installed Jeep's official dashcam accessory for my Compass. The dealer said they got confirmation from Jeep regarding warranty ( earlier many had reported that hard wiring off market dashcam could void warranty ).

Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-img_20220820_153716.jpg

Total cost including installation : Rs 36,000. The specs same as mentioned earlier.

Front and Rear cams included

• Support True HDR

Installation

Installation was done at Jeep's service center ( Pinnacle, Kochi ). The cam was hardwired. However unlike what I expected, it was not connected to the fusebox. They connected it to the supply towards rear 12v port ( which means ACC/ ignition needs to be ON for camera to work ).

Pics from installation below :
Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-img_20220820_145719.jpg

Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-img_20220820_145819.jpg

Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-img_20220820_145746.jpg

Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-img_20220820_152310.jpg

Post installation

Well, it was done only an hour or so back. So I didn't get much chance to play with it.

Feature wise, lots of Chinese brands offer much better features for the price. The most horrible missing case being, it doesn't support wifi data transfer. You will have to take out memory card for transfer

It has some accelerometer and it can save images on events. On the ride back home, i could hear recording beeps everytime I hit a pothole ( i just changed the sensitivity after reaching home ).

Some pics below :
Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-img_20220820_154325.jpg
Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-img_20220820_154359.jpg

It's not that visible from outside. Looks clean
Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-img_20220820_154430.jpg
Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-img_20220820_154439.jpg

It has got some ADAS features as well like collision warning, lane departure warning etc. Anyways I don't expect those to work seamlessly in our driving conditions. Sure, there will be too many false positives. Some pics from settings below :

Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-img_20220820_170725.jpg

Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-img_20220820_170738.jpg

Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-img_20220820_170910.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2022 at 09:45. Reason: Adding latest update to the opening post
enj0y_ride is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian

Nice to see that manufacturers like Jeep are taking such initiatives. I bought a new car a few weeks back and this was one of the only accessory that I wanted to buy. Sadly the manufacture does not offer it as an accessory. With the ever growing traffic on our roads a dash cam is becoming a necessity.
Maverick1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian

I was at the MG showroom a week ago. I saw a dashcam on display along with other accessories. I enquired and they told that a dashcam is part of their official accessories. Also, for the Astor, there is a separate slot to fix the cam and also you don't need to pull any wires for power supply, the slot has direct power that is supplied to the cam.
Raghu M is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I was at the MG showroom a week ago. I saw a dashcam on display along with other accessories. I enquired and they told that a dashcam is part of their official accessories. Also, for the Astor, there is a separate slot to fix the cam and also you don't need to pull any wires for power supply, the slot has direct power that is supplied to the cam.
Thats great move. So far Jeep has been shying away from this stating warranty will be void if we install cams thats connected via fuse. Many Jeep consumers have been sticking with 12v/ USB connectors ( and of course wiring is a mess. ).

I feel all manufacturers should offer standard ports for connecting front and back cams ( they can keep it as accessory as some might be wary about privacy ). Instead every other OEM keeps adding 12v/ USB types to boot which I doubt is even useful.

Last edited by enj0y_ride : 16th August 2022 at 12:28.
enj0y_ride is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post

Although I appreciate the initiative by Jeep but the specs and the price they're charging are polar opposites. Maximum support upto 64GB? Just HD in today's time when cameras are planning to move to 8k? C'mon Jeep.

Reduce the price or atleast match your specs to the price you are charging.
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 13:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Although I appreciate the initiative by Jeep but the specs and the price they're charging are polar opposites. Maximum support upto 64GB? Just HD in today's time when cameras are planning to move to 8k? C'mon Jeep.

Reduce the price or atleast match your specs to the price you are charging.
The resolution is Full HD not HD. 64gb is more than enough for 6-8 hours footage as the encoder is x265 which is quite efficient.
Mr. Nobody is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 14:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems to be pricier when compared to those we get online.
Quite a price for factory fitted dashcam when the better ones are available at almost 1/3 the price quoted. I would have understood if this was for the 360 camera system.
ghodlur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 18:50   #8

Below is the spec, they shared. Seems to be pricier when compared to those we get online.

That surely sounds obnoxiously priced for a dash cam.
RaiVW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 00:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
All manufacturers should follow this.

It is just a matter of procurement and just a cable for retro fitmet. I would love a official accessory dash cam!
kaustavguha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 08:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Update to this thread:

• Support True HDR

Is this dashcam a Lithium Ion based or Capacitor based. In Indian heat I always recommend capacitor based Dashcams as they will last much much longer. Also, what are the specs of the sensor and processor. Most dashcams user the same sensors and processors across various price ranges and in my humble opinion I don't this that the official accessory will be any different. The price is definitely high but what can you expect from a "Mopar" branded product. That is the same case be it Apple, Sony, Jeep or any other major brand.

I got a Viofo 229 dual dashcam installed on my Compass from a Jeep Service center and we banged our heads for 2 days before finally following the same way to install it via the 12V socket internally. That was the only way I could use the socket for tyre inflator and have the dashcam running. Since we could not get it to work via the fuse box, we could not get parking mode activated so that's a shame. Shoutout to the Viofo dealer who took the wires back and refunded me the money.
R.I.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 14:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P View Post
Is this dashcam a Lithium Ion based or Capacitor based.
I do not know. My assumption is capacitor based, as that seems to be standard these days.

The cam turns off within few secs, once you turn off the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P View Post
Since we could not get it to work via the fuse box, we could not get parking mode activated so that's a shame. Shoutout to the Viofo dealer who took the wires back and refunded me the money.
What was the issue when connecting to fusebox? As I understand, they got instructions from Jeep to connect it to the 12v power supply. Not sure of the exact reason, neither did the technicians reveal.
Old 22nd August 2022, 18:05   #12
BHPian

The technician here was not able to find a fuse that was providing power while the car was off. He tried the inner and outer fuse box but none of the fuses held power after the car was locked. He tried the horn, light, taillight, powered tailgate but no success. He even consulted some other technicians in other agencies and got no solution. I double checked the multimeter readings with him.

As per him, the pre-facelift compass did not have this issue, he had installed it a couple of them and had assured me initially that he could do it. That is why I ordered the wire.

I saw his effort and gave up on the parking mode. He connected it internally to the 12v socket so that i can use it when needed without turning the dashcam off and returned the parking wire.

Quote:
What was the issue when connecting to fusebox? As I understand, they got instructions from Jeep to connect it to the 12v power supply. Not sure of the exact reason, neither did the technicians reveal.

Last edited by R.I.P : 22nd August 2022 at 18:07.
R.I.P is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 00:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

The pricing is way over the roof, I guess Jeep is indirectly telling their customers that it is price they need to pay to keep the warranty and still have a dashcam.

However, there are ways to hot wire a dashcam without altering the car's electricals. The dashcam thread has some posts including my method of taking power from the obd port, not even a fuse tap is required.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th September 2022 at 00:37.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 10:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They connected it to the supply towards rear 12v port ( which means ACC/ ignition needs to be ON for camera to work ).
Just noticed this part. I think you should go back and ask them to do whatever is required for you to use parking mode in the dashcam. After paying such big amounts to get a dashcam installed, you get inferior workmanship. If they do not know how to have the camera working while parked, there are DIY methods you can explore.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post5042787 (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

This doesn't void any warranty since you're not touching any existing electrical wiring or fuses. You can remove the connection from the OBD port while going for a service if you're concerned about them noticing it.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th September 2022 at 10:26.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 17:34   #15
BHPian

I too couldn't resist the urge to go with official dashcam. Got it installed last week, works as expected. I am glad I could save one port by fitting this.

For me, dashcams are devices which are supposed to be fit and forget type gadget, need to access only in case of need. So lack of wifi connectivity and dedicated app is not an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep India now offers a dashcam as official accessory for the Compass / Meridian-20230105_074240.jpg  

Last edited by anilntny : 9th January 2023 at 17:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks