Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2022, 01:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Upgrading to the Ultinon Pro 9000 LED Bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
A little tip to peeps trying to judge the headlight performance via a camera.

Use Manual Mode(if DSLR) or the Pro mode on Mobile.
Fix the settings for Aperture, White Balance, Shutter speed and ISO.

One can fix these setting for correct exposure on stock headlights.

Post upgrading the headlights, use the same values to take the picture, the difference in brightness and color will be clearly visible.
I would say instead of using the same settings on both images, try and match to what it looks like realistically to the eye in both scenario's. Inspite of having the same settings, there can be factors which can cause a lot of difference between the actual and picture.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 09:46   #17
BHPian

I have always wondered when looking at photographs posted with led lights they look fantastic in terms of visibility. I mean in some cases its almost double the light then the original setup. I guess its because the camera adjusts itself to the best settings in auto mode and makes it look so spectacular.

In reality i have been disappointed with led lights in headlights.although they look brighter but in reality very little usefulness in actually aiding driving.So i went back to good old halogens.

I think it will still take time for LEds to evolve and be as good as halogens in terms of providing visibility.
scorpian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 18:52   #18
ais
BHPian

My new Polo Highline Plus GTI (MT) came with Osram H7 55W bulbs in dual barrel reflector setup headlights. While slightly better than my Baleno 90W (with relay) headlights, I wanted an upgrade. After discussions with experts (Pratham, Polo/VW dealer who handled my purchase, and accessory shops in Mumbai, like Nana at Vashi- PM me for contact number- he gave the exact advice), I felt the way forward would be a bulb upgrade, as I did not want the headlight assembly seals opened and no wire splicing either. I also wanted a low temperature, as I know that white LED in reflector can be inadequate to highlight road surface (as experienced in BMW 330i M Sport).

So I went to Arihant near Milan Subway, Santa Cruz (Mumbai) who was guiding me. We tried a Osram Nightbreaker Laser Next Gen in one low beam barrel to compare with stock, and it was marginally better than stock. Then we tried the DHC LED 4300K. It was literally stunning! I made up my mind before my iris returned to normal.

I installed DHC LED 4300k, 55W bulbs with the correct clip meant for Polo in all 4 barrels. The mechanics there wanted to file the original clip to accomodate the round plastic sheath of the LED bulb, but Pratham and VW staff had advised against it.

The light output is really really good- looks like 3 times brighter. I've driven it only yesterday for 4-5 Kms, so will update in a few weeks again. There may be minor dark spots on low beam, but the output is so high that its difficult to be sure- everything is so well lit. Will check it out on highways in due course and report. Will also post pictures of I can click a true representation of the illumination.

I'd strongly suggest this setup be considered as an upgrade.

Next I'll check options for fog lamps. I may lean towards 45W Nightbreaker as halogen works well with fog.

Last edited by ais : 17th May 2022 at 18:57. Reason: Pic not uploaded
ais is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 14:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post

The light output is really really good- looks like 3 times brighter. I've driven it only yesterday for 4-5 Kms, so will update in a few weeks again. There may be minor dark spots on low beam, but the output is so high that its difficult to be sure- everything is so well lit. Will check it out on highways in due course and report. Will also post pictures of I can click a true representation of the illumination.

I'd strongly suggest this setup be considered as an upgrade.
Hi,

Can you please let us know the performance of these? did you try on the Highways?
Old 1st August 2022, 14:35   #20
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msksalman View Post
Hi,

Can you please let us know the performance of these? did you try on the Highways?
I drove from Pune to Mumbai in pouring rain at night. I'm delighted with the headlights. I got the windscreen ceramic coated after that, so the overall result would be even better now, I assume.

For fog lights, I've gone for GPNE LEDs 3000/6000k switchable. Cost was Rs.6500/-. Very happy with it, though not tried it in fog yet.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 14:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I drove from Pune to Mumbai in pouring rain at night. I'm delighted with the headlights. I got the windscreen ceramic coated after that, so the overall result would be even better now, I assume.

For fog lights, I've gone for GPNE LEDs 3000/6000k switchable. Cost was Rs.6500/-. Very happy with it, though not tried it in fog yet.
Great. Thanks for the Update
Old 13th November 2022, 16:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cost was Rs.6500/-. Very happy with it, though not tried it in fog yet.
Was it per bulb? A friend of mine enquired at the VW A.S.S about an LED upgrade. They quoted INR 16,000 for the LED upgrade (His car is Polo TSI).

No idea about what brand of LEDs they are going to use. Since there are LEDs starting from Rs 600, this might or might not be a rip-off.
Old 13th November 2022, 16:26   #23
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Was it per bulb?
Per pair of bulbs. About 15000 for the two pairs (High and Low beams each).

I've noticed that the brightness does not fall noticeably even on continuous running, which is otherwise a problem with LEDs. Super happy!
ais is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks