Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2021, 17:41   #16

Re: Aftermarket headlights for my Polo ended up a big disaster

These lamps comes with led fixed in the high beam barrel, and you have to install the low beam I'm thinking h7 either halogen, led or hids. When I tried leds in a similar setup I had the same problem as you I guess the LEDs were not properly aligned when installed or were of poor quality, anyhow I changed to HIDs which has a more even throw and it was better than stock double barrel headlights. Try and check if the LEDs are installed properly and check the alignment. You can do the alignment yourself or from a competent FNG, just be careful as these Chinese headlights, its easy to break the adjustment knobs.
Gosha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 18:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkey View Post

Can the alignment be adjusted? Since I already bought and fitted in my car I doubt there'll be any replacements. At a complete loss
I have a similar set-up on my polo and I am extremely happy with the performance. I am running a 55W HID set-up for the low beam and the throw is at least 2-3 times better than the stock.

These lights are very easily adjustable, at the back of the unit you'll see white gears, with Allen key sockets, you can twist to align the throw. This can be done at home with proper tools. If you're not confident take it to the guy who helped you fit it or a FNG they'll align them for you. As it is Chinese quality too much force on these gears will break them so be careful.
Beerus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 06:02   #18
BHPian

Can you check with the dealer if they have aftermarket headlights from VLAND. I'm using one on my Jazz and very happy with the quality. Try to exchange or sell this one, no point straining yourselves by driving without a proper pair of lights
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 19:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
Looks like your lights and/or lowbeams are not properly aligned. Any FNG should be able to fix this. This is the first thing I will try. If the lighting is still inadequate, then replace your low beams lights with good quality 4000K HIDs. If you have to do this all over again, then projector retrofits (Bi-xenon like G5-BRT) are the way to go. Would cost about 30K.

These links should be useful
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=03fHzDEHVV4
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=OIow5YgdRro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosha View Post
These lamps comes with led fixed in the high beam barrel, and you have to install the low beam I'm thinking h7 either halogen, led or hids. When I tried leds in a similar setup I had the same problem as you I guess the LEDs were not properly aligned when installed or were of poor quality, anyhow I changed to HIDs which has a more even throw and it was better than stock double barrel headlights. Try and check if the LEDs are installed properly and check the alignment. You can do the alignment yourself or from a competent FNG, just be careful as these Chinese headlights, its easy to break the adjustment knobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerus View Post
I have a similar set-up on my polo and I am extremely happy with the performance. I am running a 55W HID set-up for the low beam and the throw is at least 2-3 times better than the stock.

These lights are very easily adjustable, at the back of the unit you'll see white gears, with Allen key sockets, you can twist to align the throw. This can be done at home with proper tools. If you're not confident take it to the guy who helped you fit it or a FNG they'll align them for you. As it is Chinese quality too much force on these gears will break them so be careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Can you check with the dealer if they have aftermarket headlights from VLAND. I'm using one on my Jazz and very happy with the quality. Try to exchange or sell this one, no point straining yourselves by driving without a proper pair of lights

Thank you everyone for their input . Have tried aligning the lights . Much better than before although i think the HIDs the company sent me may not be bright enough . Thinking about switching to zimmer HID's for the low beam. At this point not too sure about this set. After alignment feels much better than stock though not enough .The left light shakes whenever i go through rough patches. The lower beam cuts off whenever I put the lights on upper. On pass both upper and dipper works. Thats an issue I am facing.Since my car previously had a single bulb for both upper and dipper is causing the problem. Any input these Zimmer HIDs will be big help.
And apologies to the moderators for not checking properly before posting. Realized that after posting it. Any way to edit it?
Old 14th October 2021, 13:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you everyone for their input . Have tried aligning the lights . Much better than before although i think the HIDs the company sent me may not be bright enough . Thinking about switching to zimmer HID's for the low beam. At this point not too sure about this set. After alignment feels much better than stock though not enough .The left light shakes whenever i go through rough patches. The lower beam cuts off whenever I put the lights on upper. On pass both upper and dipper works. Thats an issue I am facing.Since my car previously had a single bulb for both upper and dipper is causing the problem. Any input these Zimmer HIDs will be big help.
And apologies to the moderators for not checking properly before posting. Realized that after posting it. Any way to edit it?
if you feel that the illumination is insufficient you can use bulbs of higher wattage, at 55W it has more than enough illumination for dimly lit area's and highways. In the city with street lights you'll not see alot of illumination because the street lights are brighter.

The shaking issue is there in my unit too, i think it's just a design flaw and obviously a tribute to Chinese quality. On the other hand I noticed minor shakes in a BMW 5 series too.

The high beam/low beam issue can be solved through a VCDS tweak.
Old 14th October 2021, 16:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:

The high beam/low beam issue can be solved through a VCDS tweak.
Can you elaborate a little bit on the VCDS tweak. Since the high beam projector LED doesn't quite do the job well alone. And since the low beam HID cuts off in upper, when in dipper again the HID requires a few seconds to get the operating temperature. Thanks again for your input. It's been of great help.
Old 15th October 2021, 10:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Can you elaborate a little bit on the VCDS tweak. Since the high beam projector LED doesn't quite do the job well alone. And since the low beam HID cuts off in upper, when in dipper again the HID requires a few seconds to get the operating temperature. Thanks again for your input. It's been of great help.
Since your polo was one with a single barrel headlight only one of your beams can be switched on.

There is a setting in the VCDS which can be turned on which will allow your low beam to remain on when the high beam is in use. You can either speak with the dealer and see if he's willing to do it for you or you'll have to go to a good FNG which can access the software through the OBD port and change the settings.

There is a tuner in Bavdan who deals with only Skoda-VW cars, he might help you out. You can PM me for his contact details.
Beerus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 16:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Since your polo was one with a single barrel headlight only one of your beams can be switched on.

There is a setting in the VCDS which can be turned on which will allow your low beam to remain on when the high beam is in use. You can either speak with the dealer and see if he's willing to do it for you or you'll have to go to a good FNG which can access the software through the OBD port and change the settings.

There is a tuner in Bavdan who deals with only Skoda-VW cars, he might help you out. You can PM me for his contact details.
Hey, thanks again. I have a friend can do these sort of things. Will definitely drop a text for you in PM. I'll ask my friend for help. You've been of great help.
Gorkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 08:54   #24
BHPian

Hey everyone. Have been a little busy but have quite the update for my disastrous aftermarket headlights. Bear with fellows with aftermarket headlights if you want to go for an update.
After suffering for a few months with those awful headlights I finally decided that enough was enough. I paid to get better visibility not worse. So i called up a few friends of mine who also had aftermarket headlights installed in their car with far superior visibility and brightness and I finally got a hit. A friend told me about a shop in Chennai named MOTOFOCUSZ(can check them out in instagram). I checked their IG page and was fairly impressed though a bit skeptical after what happened to me last time . So before contacting Motofocusz I called up my friend who had bought aftermarket headlights from them to my house and checked out his visibility.
Now coming to the surprising part, I have a honda city 2017 model and to my surprise my friends polo's aftermarket headlights had better brightness than my stock honda city's LED headlights. So that got me going.
I contacted the guy at Motofocusz(Chennai) and they texted back promptly that they'll be happy to help and told me to ship my headlights to them. So I did that and switched back to my old stock headlights and realized how poor the visibility was even compared to my stock polo halogen setup.
2-3 weeks went by and the guy at MOTOFOCUSZ sent details of each and every part he installed and attached videos for the same. Customer satisfaction gets a 5 on 5.
I earlier had shaking issues in my left light . The guys at Motofocusz aftermarket opening up the lights sent me video about how the brackets were broken in my left light. Damn, was shocked. I got broken brackets in my brand new headlights. They replaced the same with custom made metal brackets of the same size and configuration and completed the setup and sent me back the headlights. The parts installed by them according to them are :
1. Hella G5 BRT
2.conversion socket ( since mine was an older model)
3.metal adapter fabrication
Which included
A. New projectors for low beam
B.55 W HID kit
C.sealant
D. Mounting brackets
E.wiring kits
F. Shrouds
G. Metal brackets
H. Conversion sockets.
Will attach pictures and videos for the same.
The total amount came to exactly 37000 (sigh)
So yes I had to spend 37k again but this time being a little bit more hopeful than before.
The lights got delivered to me after a week or so and voy oh boy was I satisfied with the results. Everything was sorted out. No cutting of wires, just plug and play. The dipper was more than enough. Hardly had to use to upper. Attachaching videos and photos for the same. Please give your valuable opinion regarding the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Aftermarket headlights for my Polo ended up a big disaster-img20211207wa0011.jpg  

Aftermarket headlights for my Polo ended up a big disaster-img20211207wa0006.jpg  

Aftermarket headlights for my Polo ended up a big disaster-20211226_081700.jpg  

Aftermarket headlights for my Polo ended up a big disaster-img20211207wa0007.jpg  

Gorkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 16:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hey everyone...
Output looks great but the price sure is very high in chennai! Retrofit with these bi-xenon projectors costs 15-20k in Delhi NCR
Mr. Nobody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 13:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
outcome looks very good, but I think you need to turn both the lights inwards and bit downwards too. Beam center seems to be going left and right. Similarly high beam seems to be going up and outwards. Just a matter of some adjustment.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 10:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Output looks great but the price sure is very high in chennai! Retrofit with these bi-xenon projectors costs 15-20k in Delhi NCR
Can you share some contact details? I'm looking for an upgrade in my Polo 1.2 TDI (early 2014 model)

Thanks.
Old 6th February 2022, 19:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr001 View Post
Can you share some contact details? I'm looking for an upgrade in my Polo 1.2 TDI (early 2014 model)

Thanks.
Search for Djs automotive on google or insta. Also check with newgencaraccessories on insta. Both have good prices.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks