None 64 19.57%
Low 192 58.72%
Medium 47 14.37%
A lot! 24 7.34%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 16:06   #31
BHPian

Re: How often and how much do you spend on car accessories & modifications?

Voted Low. I buy the top end or "fully loaded" cars so there is no real requirement to change. Yes there are small accessories that get added from time to time but I have noticed that few of them were gifts, so lesser cash outflow. My earlier cars had some custom sticker work but for the present car I have left it as stock. Always meant to do sticker work but lethargy and lock down cancelled all plans.
Old 29th September 2021, 16:10   #32
BHPian

Voted: LOW

Post my first car - Wagon R where I fitted LPG kit; I've bought the top end or n-1 and never felt the need for after-market accessories. I did buy mobile holder for my earlier ride, Honda City. In fact other than mats I've not spent on any accessory since then. Though I must say that I am toying with the idea of a remap of my Compass once the warranty is over and maybe will splurge one time to spice it up at 5 year mark.
Old 29th September 2021, 16:15   #33
BHPian

I would have voted for a "a Lot!"
I tend to buy the top variant available so that I don't have to miss out on features that I may need useful at some point (albeit not frequently like Sun roof, alloys, airbags, better infotainment). However, the car is still made to a cost by the manufacturer and there are areas I certainly felt compelled to improve upon such as -
1. ICE: Navigation, Speakers, DSPs, amplifiers, subwoofer, acoustic insulation ~ 2 L
2. Mechanical: Performance Tyres, Brake pads ~ 30K
3. Functional: Better headlights, LED indicators, fogs, wheel arches, roof cross-bars, tyre inflator, pressure washer, ventilated seats etc. ~60K
4. Visual: I don't like spending a bomb on something like PPF or ceramic coating. I would spend on decals, wraps, aftermarket grill, underbody lights, wheel nuts caps, machined pedals knobs etc ~ 20K
5. Diagnostic/software: Remap, OBD Scan and Flash tools, software subscriptions - 70k
6. Enthusiast: ST heated Steering wheel, Color Instrument cluster, Blind Spot/Cross-traffic alert systems, Lane Keep/Departure warning assist, Front parking sensors, Adaptive cruise from overseas variants ~ 90K

This is a never ending saga but I think I am nearing the end as I am finally where I want it to be.
Old 29th September 2021, 16:30   #34
BHPian

Voted for A Lot!

As that's what I did for my Rapid and my previous car Santro Xing. Every now and then this bug bites me and I will drive down to the Automotive store or a friendly accessory shop.

Rapid:
  1. Roots Original Windtone Skoda Type Horn
  2. Interior Cabin Light Upgraded to INTERNATIONAL VERSION (from AliExpress)
  3. 3M Nomad Mats
  4. Autoform Seat Covers
  5. Philips Rally Headlight Bulbs with Relay
  6. Audio Upgrade: Sony XAV AX7000, Sony XM-GS4 Hi-Res 4 Channel Amp, JBL GTO 609C front, and Infinity Reference at Rear
  7. Autoform Memory Foam Neck Pillows
  8. Car Dustbin
  9. ...

Santro:
  1. 3M Nomad Mats
  2. Car Seat Covers
  3. Accent Alloy Wheels painted in Matt Black
  4. Dark-tinted Tail Lights
  5. Dechroming
  6. Audio Upgrade: Pioneer Single Din System, Polk Speakers with JBL GT Amp, Alphasonik Subwoofer with Monoblock Amp
  7. Car Dustbin
  8. ...

When I was in my hometown, seen that our ever-reliable Splendor (11 years old) had lost its sheen, changed all body panels, repainted the tank, burnt a huge hole in the pocket, and made it look almost new. My father was super duper mad at me as he hardly ever takes it out.

That being said, I would like my next car to be top of the line with all bells and whistles. It has become too much effort to get things RIGHT at aftermarket. People do mess up things in a big way and you have to take and live that pain (a lot of.. ) (maybe this is the topic for my next thread).

Last edited by vijayshouree : 29th September 2021 at 16:31. Reason: Added info
Old 29th September 2021, 16:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayurS View Post
5. Front bonnet hydraulic strut
Great. Would you please elaborate on this. Is there any related topics available here?
Old 29th September 2021, 16:44   #36
BHPian

Voted for a lot!

I am someone who splurge really on my car. I have the habit of buying an accessory and then changing it often. I have changed my horn 3-4 times and finally settled on Hella Chrome Trumpet horns. My car did not came with DRLs and i have tried multiple DRLs. Finally settled on a quality ones from Germany. This year changed the DRLs to Fog lamp DRLs. Also, my car has got a stage one plus map from Wolfmoto and a BMC replacement filter. I have also retrofitted projectors from Autolighting Experts, Bangalore. I am big fan of underbody neons. My car sports that too. I recently purchased another brand of underbody neons for all four sides. Then i have spend money on an android headunit and also better speakers and a subwoofer. Well, talking about subwoofer, i have changed the woofer twice. Also, my car came with alloys from company. Changed it to aftermarket ones. Also i have changed my tail lights to aftermarket ones.

Now when i retro inspect my expenditure, i think it was a bit much
Old 29th September 2021, 16:56   #37
BHPian

Voted a lot.
I usually buy the most basic variant which suits my requirements and then customise to my satisfaction.
Number 1 on my list is Tyres. OE Tyres for almost all cars are abysmal in terms of performance and severely compromises on safety and handling.
Rat deterrent devices and steering covers(stitched) are pretty much mandatory in my POV. Also, light upgrades are pretty much standard nowadays. Floor mats provided by the company also are just an abomination. I always go for covering the entire floor with PVC rexin and then go for these 3D,4D, 5D whatever D market gives as they are better in not allowing the dust to be captured in the carpet. Tubeless tyre repair kit and car tyre inflators. These should not be considered as accessories.
Last but not the least, please tell me you're joking if you consider OE horns as adequate. Horn upgrade is a given.
The above mentioned accessories are considered essentials in my book.
The following are optionals.
1. Alloy wheels.
2.Windshield treatment for rains and anti-glare.
3.Ceramic coating or car polish.
Maybe its just me, but surely I'm not alone here in this morbid fixation with accessorizing new cars.
Old 29th September 2021, 17:11   #38
BHPian

I voted for low but then again looking back on all the cars that I've owned since 1999 I would spend on functional stuff every now and then. Better tires, remaps, tuning chips, etc come to mind.
Old 29th September 2021, 18:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Last but not the least, please tell me you're joking if you consider OE horns as adequate. Horn upgrade is a given.
VAG, BMW, Merc, even Creta horns are more than enough 😊
Old 29th September 2021, 19:28   #40
BHPian

For my car(s) and bikes my expenses on modifications are low to medium.
Asthetic modifications are on cheaper side while I can spend on functional ones more

My Duster has following mods/accessories
Asthetic-
Stickers bought online worth 1000.
Stickers speciallly made for my car 2500.
DIY black paint on grill INR 200 (spray paint).

Functional-
Tyre Inflator 2500.
Tubeless pucnture repair kit 1000.
Shackels and tow strap 3000.
Hole cut on rear bumper to fit shackle DIY with drill.
Hella red grill horn (forgot the price)
Tyre Upgrade (to be done) 36000.
Underbody protection custom fabricated (to be done) 20-25000.
Roof rack (to be done) 15-20000.

(All figures in INR.)

Last edited by 88_TANK_88 : 29th September 2021 at 19:29.
Old 29th September 2021, 19:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Voted Medium!

I always prefer the fully loaded variant and have always bought one as unfortunately in India, these were the ones that offered the most safety. But due to various mandates and regulations, all manufacturers provide the basic safety kit on all variants.
But as GTO has posted, modern day cars are well kitted when it comes to the top variants.

However, the reason I voted for medium is my will to customize my car. I don't like going overboard, but would not let up until the car reaches personal goal on both visual and functional front.
Old 29th September 2021, 19:44   #42
BHPian

Voted for Low. I like my machines stock. I believe in using them for a while and making small additions as and when required.

1) BMW 3GT- Rubber floor mats, Car cover.

2) RE Classic 500 stealth black: Bobo phone mount, Chargedex Chain lubricator, Red LED pilot lamps, RE Bike cover. The rider seat is uncomfortable on long rides so I use a GrandPitStop Air cushion on top of it for my longer rides. The Horrendous pillion seat is only used for luggage.

3) Datsun Redi-Go: Blaupunkt windtone horn, Sony 300W Speakers added to parcel shelf. Connected to OE Stereo system, but planning an upgrade of it. A central locking system is planned too.

4) Honda Aviator: OE Scooter cover.
Maverick_4662 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 19:57   #43
BHPian

I voted for Low. Until 2014, I used to do lots of modifications but most of them needs constant care or attention , and service center won't be able to help, rather they won't have any clue. So I stopped modification to the extend possible and only buy the top end of any car which will be generally equipped with all you want. Still I have done some modifications such as remapping ( even if it is top end , you always want more performance :-) ) ceramic coating etc. Let me list some of the basic modifications I did in the past and its pros/cons as one liner

a) External type pressure monitor
Pros: Live tyre pressure monitoring
Cons: Every time you fill in air, you need to remove and refit

b) Blind spot mirror
Pros: Its good to take the car through tight spots, helpful at very low speeds
Cons: Need to fix the angle correctly, it can be easily by someone while parked or the car washing guys

c) Leather seats
Pros: Comfort
Cons: Defeats the purpose if airbag is there on seat

d) Remapping:
Pros: Increased car performance
Cons: May void your warranty. Also every time you take the car to service center you need to tell them that don't do any ECU update so that it won't overwrite your map

e) Head unit upgrade.
Pros: Latest after market head unit with android auto/apple car play
Cons: I had several issues of GPS signal quality crashes on after market unit , so need to make sure you get it from a premium brand

f) Window tinting.
Pros: Cool looks, efficient AC working etc
Cons: Had to remove after the law enforcement

g) Suspension buffers.
Pros: Good for sedans to keep ride height
Cons: Stiffer ride quality

h) Upgrading Tyres/Rims
Pros: Good ride and handling
Cons: fuel efficiency may take a hit

So finally I settled at bare minimum modification by buying top end of the car

Last edited by Salnv : 29th September 2021 at 20:02.
Old 29th September 2021, 20:56   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted low.

Modifications, no.
Accessories, yes - Just 2 - Dash cam and mobile charger.

I believe in keeping the car absolute stock, except for some minor stickers that mask the chrome overdoses.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 21:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Year 2009 - Last car
Within couple of months of purchase I spent on new alloys, leather-PU mix seat cover, leather steering cover, music system, tinted glass, horn, bulb upgrade, floor carpeting, other small accessories etc. Spent 2 months salary for it.
Year 2021 - for the car I never bought
I booked Kushaq and bought Michelin mat, checked and finalized roof wrapping with local accessory guy. I cancelled the booking and gave away the mat.
Year 2021- Current car
Bought boot mat, complete car care kit, and Turtle wax hybrid ceramic products before taking delivery. No other accessories or upgrade planned in the near future.

Last edited by Latheesh : 29th September 2021 at 21:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks