Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2021, 20:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Cars with Rust Wraps: A visually shocking trend

If you are owning a car in a theft prone area then this wrap should be on your priority list

Probably the best theft deterrent.

I am not sure if I entirely hate it though.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 21:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I, for one, simply love these faux rust wraps. They should be more prevalent in North India, since folks here love their nazar battu - and these wraps and rusted panels work so well to remove the effects of the evil eye!

However, I am yet to spot any of the exotics bearing these wraps in Delhi, though I know of plenty of folks here who don't repair their first dent just because it wards off the evil eye of the onlooker.

Oh, and these wraps would so well hide a sleeper car!
SS-Traveller is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 23:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

One way to shock your family would be to get a new car and take it directly to the 'Rust Wrap' guys and get the "rustiest" wrap of them all and bring it home and first 'wrap' the eyes of your better half and kids and slowly walk them out to the porch and do a "TA DA". The collective expressions of horror can be framed for posterity and hung on the wall of the living room!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 5th June 2021 at 23:01.
Durango Dude is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 23:26   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Heritage Customs is offering a few pre-rusted parts for Land Rover Defenders. The parts include side vents and hood panels, and are finished by a new metallurgy process. The rustic look is said to last 20 years. Wonder what exactly happens after that…
After 20 years nothing much will change. It will start rusting anyway Jokes apart, among the cars listed, this is the only one which is not too harsh on my eyes.

This extreme concept reminds me of a Hero Honda CBZ, which a friend of a friend of mine once owned. The bike had a "scratch finish" fuel tank. The owner of the bike would happily allow his friends to scratch the fuel tank. Needless to say, not even an inch of the fuel tank was scratch free and the owner of the bike apparently loved the way it looked! Outrageous
Old 5th June 2021, 23:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Here's a Ducati 1199 with a green rust wrap. I mean, if you're going to make your bike look like it's in shockingly poor condition, may as well have some fun and do it on a Ducati! The wrap was done by Wrap Style Bangalore .
I don't think that was done in Bangalore. The original link shows it was done in Australia. Atleast that's what the webpage is linking up to. As per my sources, there are no 1199 in India, as that model was never sold in India officially.
Old 7th June 2021, 08:11   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yuck! What an incredibly stupid trend. Differentiation for the sake of "being different" is all I can say. I guess now I don't have to bother with doing some rust repair on my Jeep every year as it is suddenly a cool new trend.

If any rust wrap fan wants to trade a new tub for a rusted one, please PM me anytime. Better than a wrap as it's the real thing .
Cars with Rust Wraps: A visually shocking trend-4.jpg

That said, I think rust does look good on two kinds of vehicles:

1. Old 4x4s.

2. Old Harley-Davidsons & Enfield Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
first 'wrap' the eyes of your better half and kids and slowly walk them out to the porch and do a "TA DA". The collective expressions of horror
thank you for the early morning laughter!
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 08:46   #22
BHPian

Looks good on the F-Type. Can't say the same for others. Especially the 911 and the EcoSport. Nope, nada. It does not work.
Old 7th June 2021, 10:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

The only real advantage of doing this in India will be that the RTO won’t bother to fine it for parking illegally thinking its a RIP car like many abandoned in Indian streets and people might not come too close to it thinking it very dirty

But leaving it parked out on the street in the night might also attract unwanted attention and lead to vandalism again thinking its a RIP car.
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 10:53   #24
BHPian

I had seen something like this in "wheeler dealer" show where they had a rusted F1 truck and rather than painting, they treated the rust and then added clear coat if I remember correctly! So not a wrap but visually had the same impact. It was called rat look, I think. It suited the car to be honest.

Again, I liked the concept but only if done tastefully on period correct cars.

Though it would be funny to imagine which one would qualify for this look in India! May be some old school jeeps and definitely not an exotic!
Attached Thumbnails
Cars with Rust Wraps: A visually shocking trend-1.fordf1.jpg  

IN07KL0484 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 11:18   #25
BHPian

I understand that looks are subjective, but this trend looks pretty terrible in my eyes. Since when did "rust" which is actually "Destruction" become a thing of beauty
CalmConquests is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 13:54   #26
BANNED

I remembered legendary Tata Sierra ad here. Tagline was - "Takes the Rough with the Smooth"
Old 7th June 2021, 14:11   #27
BHPian

Leave everything aside, which elevated soul decided to distress wrap a royal Enfield? This is possibly the biggest waste of money, all you need to destress any RE is park it for a week in the rain!
AirbusCapt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 15:07   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I first thought that this was an iteration of the ratrod. Those definitely look cool, but this seems to be a build up of the zombie wrap look. Remember that? Wraps which looked like splatter, some even looked like prepper vehicles.
On a premier padmini, with a modern engine underneath, maybe, but definitely not on a2 a 2 month old 911.
Old 7th June 2021, 20:35   #29
BHPian

Absolutely LOVED the wraps on the 911 and Ducati. Both are tastefully done perfectly mimicking how sheet metal they would age normally.
Such daring wraps need a high-end base to flaunt them on, hence, imo would suit only on superbikes & cars. On any other vehicle they would just look overdone or plain bad - Ecosport
Old 8th June 2021, 13:48   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

To be honest, I liked the 911 and the RX100 wrap. The ecosport and the BMW look ugly.
Although not a wrap, that F1 truck looks gorgeous.

I agree with other members here that it'll look nice on vintage cars if done well. The problem with this is that it's a fine line between subtle and overdone, good looking and ugly.

The best thing about wraps is we can go back to the original look anyday. if people want to have some fun and have money to spare for this...why not?!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 8th June 2021 at 13:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks