Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2021, 06:35   #1
BHPian

Turbocharging a 1.2L NA petrol engine

I am from assam and I have a 1.2L NA polo which is over 7years old and has done over 1 lakh KMs. I want to turbo that engine no matter the cost. Also the scope of turbo'ing my engine in Assam is very limited so what do you suggest? Should I go to kolkata or other metropolitan city to get the thing done or let the car stay NA and enjoy it as it is. I plan to keep this car forever in my garage. And I desperately wanna turbo it. Please help. If there's a turbo petrol swift why there cant be a custom turbo petrol 1.2L manual Polo? If this project gets done it'll be one of kind. No polo has a turbo 1.2 L engine with a manual gearbox.
Gorkey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 06:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Turbocharging a 1.2L NA petrol engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkey View Post
I want to turbo that engine no matter the cost.
Don't waste your time with tuner headaches, unreliability & breakdowns. Time is money. Simplest solution = sell your 1-lakh km Polo and buy a used Polo 1.6 TDI / 1.2 TSI / 1.5 TDI or even better, the new 1.0 turbo TSI and redline away in the sunset.

Quote:
Also the scope of turbo'ing my engine in Assam is very limited so what do you suggest?
All the more reason you should stick to a reliable, factory setup. Remember, factory horses are factory horses. Some of us learnt this the hard way.
GTO is offline   (81) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 07:04   #3
BHPian

But I recently repainted my car with a new front bumper. My car also has a body kit from factory. I really like the exterior but something under the hood would have made it even more special. Here's a photo of my recently repainted car.
Attached Thumbnails
Turbocharging a 1.2L NA petrol engine-20210422_153930.jpg  

Gorkey is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 10:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Very nice car - looks nice too.

It's a 7 year old from VW - now is when the expenses start mounting. Take GTO's advice - he knows what he's talking about.

Your car is also freshly painted. Should get you a good price.
Put a t-bhp sticker, and the price will multiply.

Turbocharging a 1.2L NA petrol engine-screenshot_202105301046102.png

But seriously, a friend has turbocharged his 1.6 Baleno, and the only reason he still has it, is because he works on the car himself. So unless you are sure that you can troubleshoot the car and fix issues with it all it's life, don't even consider the route you are thinking of.
samaspire is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 12:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

I too would take GTO's advice. Maybe it is time you looked at a new car if you want something more exciting to drive. It is better to get these kind of works done if you have the time and energy for it. Also it would be beneficial if you knew someone or place nearby to where you reside. If this is a project car, and you have other cars in your garage do go ahead. However if this is your only ride, think twice.

You have to take the following factors too into consideration when you do works like these such as strain on the engines & mileage. Consider other options instead of adding the turbocharger. I am not that familiar with remapping, but others can comment if that can bring a little more joy into this Polo. Other small additions like an exhaust upgrade, air filter and suspension with better tyres can make the car a bit better. Do have a read at this article too.

Quote:
The fundamental differences between a naturally aspirated and a turbocharged engine are: the compression ratio, camshaft profiles, fueling, ignition timing, type of pistons and the strength of some of the rotating parts. A turbocharger as an engine component can increase the power output by 30% quite easily and up to 100% in some cases. Therefore the first thing to look at is the engine itself. Is the engine capable of withstanding that type of increase in its present state? Was it capable when it was new? Likewise, are the clutch, transmission and brakes up to the job? To carry out a conversion on a naturally aspirated engine, the following modifications to the engine would need to be undertaken to effectively complete the retrofit:

CAMS & PISTONS
Fabrication of both inlet and exhaust manifolds to fit the specific application. Engine compression ratio to be checked and lowered where necessary, ideally this would be between 7.5:1 and 8.5:1 (typically) to allow any significant boost pressure to be used.

This can be achieved in one of three ways: preferably fitting of forged low compression pistons, machining the top of the standard pistons or the fitting of a thicker head gasket or spacer plate.

CAMSHAFT SPECIFICATION
The camshaft specification should also be checked to ensure that the duration and valve overlap is not too great for the application. Ideally this would be a camshaft of mild duration and overlap.

THE FUEL SYSTEM
i.e. injectors, fuel pump, pressure and mapping of the ignition system would also need to be modified for the increased requirements of the turbocharger. The ignition timing needs to be retarded as the boost pressure rises.

To specify the correct turbocharger for the application we would require the following basic information:
a) Engine capacity
b) Maximum rpm
c) Application or usage i.e. street car/drag/race etc.
d) Projected horsepower and torque requirements
e) Boost pressure requirements
f ) If engine is to be intercooled or charge cooled

Last edited by TrackDay : 30th May 2021 at 12:11.
TrackDay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 14:52   #6
BHPian

It sounds exciting and I am sure you could take it up as a project.

Historically this has been a road that people with no basic knowledge shouldn't travel on, but, in the recent decade or so, the availability of parts and the knowledge of how to go about doing these things is now widely available, making this not that big a mountain to climb!

Going turbo is not a biggie, apart from the money, IMO what you need to do first is to think what is the objective of turbo charging your car?

a. Do you want to turbo it for simply bragging rights i.e, xyz bhp/whp, world's first, full custom this, custom that or some nasa tech and all that jazz
b. Drag queen!
c. Daily driver with good power/torque with reliability.

When you decide on the above, then go about doing your research on the parts!

If I were you, I would look at the nearest cousin the 1L TSI and try and see if the placements of the turbo charger, intercooler etc and eyeball to understand if they would fit onto your car or not and start the journey from thereon.

However, from personal experience, whenever you start such a project and plan on doing it yourself expect certain things to fail! But then, failure is the pillar of success and you could either 1. fail and give up or 2 fail, try again and succeed.

Best of luck for your project and keep us posted!

Quote:
I am from assam and I have a 1.2L NA polo which is over 7years old and has done over 1 lakh KMs. I want to turbo that engine no matter the cost. Also the scope of turbo'ing my engine in Assam is very limited so what do you suggest? Should I go to kolkata or other metropolitan city to get the thing done or let the car stay NA and enjoy it as it is. I plan to keep this car forever in my garage. And I desperately wanna turbo it. Please help. If there's a turbo petrol swift why there cant be a custom turbo petrol 1.2L manual Polo? If this project gets done it'll be one of kind. No polo has a turbo 1.2 L engine with a manual gearbox.
ssjr0498 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 15:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I am from assam and I have a 1.2L NA polo which is over 7years old and has done over 1 lakh KMs. I want to turbo that engine no matter the cost. Also the scope of turbo'ing my engine in Assam is very limited so what do you suggest? ....
Looks like you want to do a DIY on your car for some reason. Here's a thread which would give you some pointers on how its done on a bike (HD, no less).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...low-883-a.html (Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883)

Adding a turbo charger is not an impossible task, the problem is with hacking the ECU to deliver that extra bit of boost for your car to fly. The thing with ECUs is that only VW software is capable of reading / writing certain critical data which is not possible with generic OBD software. So if you want to change your EFI ratio according to the boost pressure that your sensor is reading (oh did i mention the addition of few extra sensors?) then probably you can't do it. There is also the space availability problem. I don't know if NA 1.2 and TDI 1.2 share the same body chassis. The end result, even if you manage to do it, is not guaranteed since you can't measure it against a set standard and worse still you may have messed up a perfectly running car.

I know of certain workshops in Bangalore who are brave enough of such a challenge but sorry not in Assam.

PS: If you are after the knowledge of how to convert then I would suggest that you start with a beater car otherwise there's always what @GTO has mentioned.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 15:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I’m looking to turbo charge my 1.6 Baleno Gypsy and the costs I’m looking at is around 2.5 + lacs. Also as a result reliability goes out of the window. If you are hell bent on retaining the same car, buy a used 1.2 TSI engine plus GB and swap it. Otherwise buy a different car.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 16:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I’m looking to turbo charge my 1.6 Baleno Gypsy and the costs I’m looking at is around 2.5 + lacs. Also as a result reliability goes out of the window. If you are hell bent on retaining the same car, buy a used 1.2 TSI engine plus GB and swap it. Otherwise buy a different car.
I personally know of a Baleno, that was turbocharged by the owner himself back in 2009-10, with all the creature comforts the car originally had and has been running reliably ever since.

I would agree 100% if we say that 8/10 builds are not reliable, but there are people who do things the right way and the builds are absolutely reliable.
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 16:44   #10
BHPian

So supposedly I decide to go ahead with my plan anyway, where am I supposed to get the turbo kit for my car? And how will I know that It'll fit into the engine bay? The only turbo kit I heard of till now are the K04 apr turbo kits for skoda laura.
I am definitely a noob but I know a mechanic who can get this job done if I provide the parts required.
Or should I stick to the reality and just get a cold air intake K&N and a free flow exhaust to complement it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Looks like you want to do a DIY on your car for some reason. Here's a thread which would give you some pointers on how its done on a bike (HD, no less).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...low-883-a.html (Adding a turbo-charger to my Harley-Davidson Superlow 883)
Can you please name those certain workshops in Banglore who are brave enough of such a challenge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
It sounds exciting and I am sure you could take it up as a project.

Historically this has been a road that people with no basic knowledge shouldn't travel on, but, in the recent decade or so, the availability of parts and the knowledge of how to go about doing these things is now widely available, making this not that big a mountain to climb!

Going turbo is not a biggie, apart from the money, IMO what you need to do first is to think what is the objective of turbo charging your car?

a. Do you want to turbo it for simply bragging rights i.e, xyz bhp/whp, world's first, full custom this, custom that or some nasa tech and all that jazz
b. Drag queen!
c. Daily driver with good power/torque with reliability.
My objective is definitely C ( daily driver with good power/torque with reliability for sure)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st May 2021 at 17:34. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
Gorkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 17:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My objective is definitely C ( daily driver with good power/torque with reliability for sure)
If this is your primary requirement, you'll seriously be better off exchanging your Polo for the TSI.

If you don't know how to fix things when something goes wrong, modding is not recommended at all.

Unless it's a project car, this is too risky. You don't want to be stuck during an emergency.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 19:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or should I stick to the reality and just get a cold air intake K&N and a free flow exhaust to complement it?
My advice would be to go this way. Take baby steps first. You're planning to start off with a huge leap!

Reliability of a work such as a custom turbo will solely depend on your mechanic. It also helps if you have some mechanical knowledge yourself.

Safest bet - Air intake + performance air filter + free flow exhaust + ECU remap!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 20:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Can you please name those certain workshops in Banglore who are brave enough of such a challenge?

A reliable daily driver old VW that has an aftermarket turbo. Spend some time on that thought.

I know someone who is an authority when it comes to tuning german cars, he had every single mod thats possible on his 1.2 MPi except - the engine. So it would look like a 4 door GTI inside out and drive like a spark plug is disconnected.

I think you should be able to exchange this and pay the difference for a used GT or even better the Tdi non GT would be a solid upgrade from this one.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 22:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So supposedly I decide to go ahead with my plan anyway, where am I supposed to get the turbo kit for my car? And how will I know that It'll fit into the engine bay?
Safe choice is to swap the complete Engine + ECU from a Polo 1.2 TSi, retaining the current MT transmission. You should start hunting the engine from total loss car, restore with necessary internals. This is far reliable, less time consuming than turbocharging the current 1.2 NA mill and not to forget the cost will remain same for both the options.

Practical choice is to trade your car (if there are no sentimental attachments) for a used / new TSi
Mr.Boss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 23:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
As GTO and other experts have suggested, its not advisable to go down this route. This particular engine is made with different objectives in mind (fuel economy, easy driving, ease of maintenance) etc. It will not take kindly to turbocharging. Why there is no project like this done before such answer your query.
And your car is already 7 years old. Just think of all the other supporting parts like brakes, clutch, engine cooling system, suspension - all this would need to be brought up to spec to handle the extra load isn’t it?

You will be better off buying a new or second hand GT TSI to scratch your itch and you can even add on mods as you please. Or you may look at another car also.

To repeat what GTO so rightly said - Factory horses are factory horses, period. Going down the tuner route will only bring you bigger challenges. Bringing your car down to Bangalore is out of the question. How will you handle the logistics of firefighting issues later ?
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed