Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2021, 17:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?

Hello everybody ! Hope your are all doing fine. This post is in connection with a doubt I have regarding the driver side floor mats in my 5th generation Honda city. For those unfamiliar with my car, you can check it out at this link (Athena | My 5th-Gen Honda City Review). Coming to the matter at hand, during the car purchase I had gone for the mats from Honda itself and they came in two sets. One was the bottom hard type (plastic/rubber type) while the top set is the carpet type. The drivers side set had 2-3 thin Velcro strips to hold the carpet one onto the base mat. Recently the Velcro has come out and the top mat tends to move about (bottom one sits tightly and does not move about). Since this can be dangerous, I stopped using the top mat. Kindly advice how to secure the top one onto the bottom one without Velcro and instead use the two round clips provided . Do I need to purchase some kind of fastener/nut/screw to hold both of the mats together ? Kindly advise what is to be done. I have attached images below for reference. Thank you in advance.

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-mat-sets.png
Bottom set on the left, top set (carpet type) on the right.

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-car-mats-2-pieces.png
You can see the remains of the Velcro on the hard mat.

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-carpet-mat.png
Clip present on the Carpet type mat

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-hard-mat-rubber-plastic-type.png
Clip present on the Bottom mat

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-instruction-label-carpet-mat.png
Instruction label on the Carpet type mat.

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-top-over-bottom.png
Both the top and bottom together. The clip portion of the top one does not go fully inside the clip portion of the Bottom mat.

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-driver-side-floor-bay.png
Driver side floor bay. There are no clips present here. (Apologies for the dirt in the floor)
TrackDay is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 02:05   #2
BHPian

re: How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?

If I'm not mistaken, you are supposed to use either the carpet one or the hard (also called all weather mat) one, not both. I would never trust Velcro straps to work ok with automotive floor mats.
vikred is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 11:35   #3
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Others have done it elsewhere...

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9600.0

Honda Parts:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000458479939.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183332222077

OR, if you need a local fix:

You need something like this, and then find a way to modify it or fix it to the carpet.

Last edited by Tgo : 15th May 2021 at 11:41.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 12:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

As Vikred mentioned already, I think you are supposed to use one or the other, not both as far as I’m aware.

Does the clip hold one or the other, but not both, that is probably your answer.

Good luck.

Irrespective, the fasteners need to secured to the footwell in a permanent way. No velcro.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 16:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikred View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you are supposed to use either the carpet one or the hard (also called all weather mat) one, not both. I would never trust Velcro straps to work ok with automotive floor mats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
As Vikred mentioned already, I think you are supposed to use one or the other, not both as far as I’m aware.

Does the clip hold one or the other, but not both, that is probably your answer.

Irrespective, the fasteners need to secured to the footwell in a permanent way. No velcro.
Thank you for the reply. Even that is what I thought initially, but if I recall correctly this is how I got the car - both the mats were together. Also why would they fix velcro strips inside the hard mat (non-carpet type). Another reason I thought they came in pair, is the size. The carpet ones are a bit smaller than the hard ones and fit within the other perfectly. Besides the carpet ones alone look small and don't exactly fill the space. As of now I use the car without the carpet mat in the driver side. I have attached some images below to clarify.

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-both-mats.png
They seem to be made for each other !

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-carpet-mat-small.png
The carpet mat alone seems to have gaps on all four sides.

Name:  passenger side velcro.PNG
Views: 7133
Size:  902.2 KB
Velcro mounts with velcro strips on the inner surface of the hard mat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
You need something like this, and then find a way to modify it or fix it to the carpet.
This is also what I was thinking about, but feel that this should have come with the car, fixed in the bay. Here the hard mat is a tight fit & will need something like this to fasten the top mat (carpet type).

Looking forward to more answers, especially if anyone has faced this.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 19:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Carpet to carpet fixed with Velcro straps has worked well for years. My 2008 Honda City ZX Gxi has a single 2" strip near the console that sticks directly on the carpet for all 4 mats and has never moved from position in the last 13 years and 1,50,000 kms.
However I'm not sure about using Velcro to stick carpet onto hard surfaces.
Old 16th May 2021, 14:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
).

Looking forward to more answers, especially if anyone has faced this.
Hi Trackday,

Yes I have the exact same problem on the driver side (after taking from first service) while the passenger side seems to be fitting fine. Mine is a 5th gen CVT. Tried multiple options for the thread to fit in the holes provided on the top mat but for some reason it simply won’t budge. Anxious to know if you or someone else can find a fix for this issue.
Rakeshmbalaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 15:23   #8
BHPian

Hi Trackday! I had the same issue with our ZX MT. Even I could not figure out how do these clips fit. I took it to Honda ASS and asked them to fit the same. The footwell lining has cutouts for the hooks of the clips and they are secured in the place. The fasteners go through both the mats and secure them in their place. However, one downside is the rubber bottom mat cannot be removed for cleaning post this until the whole mechanism is disassembled, only the carpet mat can be removed easily by turning the clips. Its my dad's car so I don't have any pictures right now but take it to Honda guys and they will fix it for you.
tp_dominator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 09:48   #9
BHPian

Re: How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?

As mentioned by other members, use only one mat if possible, else you can buy new velcro tape and stick cut to size segments to the designated spots using good quality glue. Thats how the original arrangement was.

Cheers.
Old 17th May 2021, 10:44   #10
BANNED

I will be surprised if you are the first guy to notice this. Find out how other city users have solved it. Or is it a case of no one noticing it until now (or getting satisfied by the standard dealership/ASC answer "saar, every car same only saar") and you are the one who brings this to light ?

Last edited by venkyhere : 17th May 2021 at 10:49.
Old 17th May 2021, 12:24   #11
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Thank you for the reply. Even that is what I thought initially, but if I recall correctly this is how I got the car - both the mats were together. Looking forward to more answers, especially if anyone has faced this.
@Trackday, I am using 7D Coozo Mats and have posted the same in the Honda City thread. There are metal clamps in the foot and needs to be extracted out by the Dealer or Service Centers.
They showed me the points also. Since I categorically told them that there should not be any drills for my car they asked me not to do the same and this will be a permanent one.
Hence I avoided it but yes the foot mats does move a little bit. As a compromise I have agreed to live with the current set up.
Let me know in case you need more photos for the same or can DM me.
Old 17th May 2021, 15:40   #12

@TrackDay, I opted for the same mats with our 5th Gen City V MT; it seems like they are supposed to be used together. I checked with the service advisor on the first service as they used to slide around, but he mentioned that the bottom bucket mat can be placed in a way that it is wedged in the footwell. As for the carpet one, my bucket mat has clips which go into the holes of the carpet mat, and can be rotated to fasten them both together as shown in the instructions. I think you should check with the accessories section of the dealer for those clips.
Old 17th May 2021, 16:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
The footwell lining has cutouts for the hooks of the clips and they are secured in the place. The fasteners go through both the mats and secure them in their place. However, one downside is the rubber bottom mat cannot be removed for cleaning post this until the whole mechanism is disassembled, only the carpet mat can be removed easily by turning the clips. Its my dad's car so I don't have any pictures right now but take it to Honda guys and they will fix it for you.
How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-slot-cutting.png
After reading your post, I removed the mats and checked the car floor closely. Although not noticeable by eye, I did feel some cuts and on pressing them slightly they revealed some points (the cuts in the pictures were revealed only when pressed). Thanks for the post mate ! I am not opening them up fully as I have my second service coming up in 19 days by which this lockdown might also ease down. Will check with the service center then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I will be surprised if you are the first guy to notice this. Find out how other city users have solved it. Or is it a case of no one noticing it until now (or getting satisfied by the standard dealership/ASC answer "saar, every car same only saar") and you are the one who brings this to light ?
I guess I missed this issue. Is it a well known matter or discussed on other threads/posts ? Kindly do share more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
There are metal clamps in the foot and needs to be extracted out by the Dealer or Service Centers. They showed me the points also. Since I categorically told them that there should not be any drills for my car they asked me not to do the same and this will be a permanent one. Hence I avoided it but yes the foot mats does move a little bit. As a compromise I have agreed to live with the current set up. Let me know in case you need more photos for the same or can DM me.
Drilling into the floor pan or fastening screw ? Do share the pictures here on this thread so that others too will benefit from the same. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parxd View Post
but he mentioned that the bottom bucket mat can be placed in a way that it is wedged in the footwell. As for the carpet one, my bucket mat has clips which go into the holes of the carpet mat, and can be rotated to fasten them both together as shown in the instructions. I think you should check with the accessories section of the dealer for those clips.
Yes, I will check with them when I take my car in for the next service. The bottom one is indeed wedged into a perfect fit and it is the top one that needs to be anchored. Do share pictures of yours if possible, Thanks.

Overall I feel that when I was provided with the mats, this so called fastener/nut/clip/screw should have been provided !

Last edited by TrackDay : 17th May 2021 at 16:53.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 10:26   #14
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Ashish for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
In the two holes of the hard base mat, there should be two clips, which when rotated 90 degrees, lock into the upper carpet mat. If those are not present, confront your dealer. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures and cannot click any because my car is at the workshop.

By the way, I bought my car in August and I have completed around 19,700 km. So, the first paid service has been completed.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Got the situation fixed at the showroom today. Due to the lockdowns that were taking place every now and then, I had to postpone it every time. Finally called my sales guy and he told me to bring the car over. The whole job took around just 5 minutes. The only tools required were a paper knife and a minus screw driver and looks like a DIY job. The clip is a lock on type, in the which the bottom part is slid beneath the car floor and folded at 90 degree to lock it in. The knob is later turned after placing the mat above. Posting pictures to get a better understanding.

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-fixing-clip-2.png
The existing slots seemed a bit off, so the guy made new ones with a paper knife after taking measurements with the mat. Slid a minus screw driver beneath it to guide the bottom portion of the clip through the entry and exit slots.

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-fixing-clip-3.png
The clip with it's top portion at 90 degrees. This is later folded down to lock it into the base portion.

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-fixing-clip-4.png
The bottom plate exiting through the second slot

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-pin.png
The pin locked into position

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-pin-floor.png
Both the pins

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-bottom-mat-fit.png
The hard bucket type mat locked in. The glue residue on the mat is from the originally pasted Velcro strips.

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-hard-plastic-bucket-type-fit.png
Close up of the knob portion in locked position. This knob is turned to lock/unlock the mats.

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-carpet-mat-fit.png
The carpet mat locked with the new pins.

How to fasten the driver-side floor mat?-only-one-time.png
Seems like both cant be used a time with the pin function as advised by the guy who fixed the pins. Even if the turning knob head is taller, the circular portions of the top and bottom mat don't exact slide into each other. Maybe for this reason the Velcro strips are there to hold the top carpet mat in place. However I am planning to use just one mat at a time. Will alternate the hard bucket type and carpet type so that I always have a neat floor. Thanks to all the BHP-ians for their suggestions and help

Last edited by TrackDay : 2nd July 2021 at 15:48.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks