Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you repaint a brand new car?
Yes 28 6.57%
No 398 93.43%
Voters: 426. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2021, 20:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Repainting a brand new car | Is it a bad idea?

Just voted Yes here but, by mistake.
I actually voted to the question asked in the thread title - “would you repaint a new car - is it a bad idea?” . I voted, Yes this is a bad idea, a ver bad one indeed.
Later I realised that question in the poll is asked in reverse manner.
@Mods,
Any way to change the vote now?
Old 15th March 2021, 22:30   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf007 View Post
The robotic arms spray a uniform coat which is divided into 3 layers totalling to 120 Microns. Their is no way the human hand can match the same precision and hence a repainted car will have min 150 Microns and above of paint layers.
You are right except some manufacturers use 4 coats where the mica is added separately- specifically in certain shades of white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf007 View Post
The
Cars 24 inspection includes checking paint layer thickness to determine the panels which are painted !!
It is measured using a DFT (dry flim thickness) meter.
Old 15th March 2021, 22:47   #48

I'm having the same opinion as what most have said here. Don't go for a repaint on a brand new car.

I feel that you should either wait for the 2021 model or get a white 2020 model and keep it white for some time. If you go for the later option, you still have the option of wrapping the car in blue if you find yourself in a position where you can't accept having a white car.

But in case of repainting it, it's a strict "NO NO" from me (others have already pointed out the reasons, so no point in me repeating it ).

But in the end, it's your decision
Old 15th March 2021, 22:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Guys, so here is my conundrum
White is the new blue/black !

How about spending that extra money on some cool "black" alloys and the kidney grill like on the typical 'M'. It'll look great. Was planning to do that to my 5 year old white X5.
Attached Thumbnails
Repainting a brand new car | Is it a bad idea?-images-8.jpeg  

Last edited by niruvrs9669 : 15th March 2021 at 23:08. Reason: Added the Quote
Old 16th March 2021, 08:21   #50
BHPian

A neighbor of mine did get their brand new 320d repainted from white to misano blue at the dealer before delivery. Had seen the car in the showroom and it looked good. I'd asked the dealer about it and it seems they have done this for other customers too. Most of the work they do is repaint old cars but couple of times it seems people want a particular color either not available in the trim or have a delayed time and they repaint. Maybe to get exclusively of the only 3 series of that color on the road?
Old 16th March 2021, 09:28   #51
BHPian

Its a No for me. Since its a full color change, to do it properly we need to totally strip the car and strip the paint, which does affect the anti corrosion properties of the shell, which had been chemically treated from factory. Also whole painting process is very time consuming since it require multiple coats and sanding to achieve finish without much orange peel effects and distortion.
I guess Wrapping is the way you can go. As GTO mentioned there are some really sexy wraps out there.
Old 16th March 2021, 09:57   #52
BHPian

No repaint.
Because I am son of a Paint Technologist!

In a Car factory paints are sprayed in powdered pigment form and get processed in an oven to form the paint.
If anybody hasn't mentioned it please do consider this.
Old 16th March 2021, 10:17   #53
BHPian

My Employer makes robots that are heavily specified to meet top paint quality. Knowing the number of details that go into during such a painting process, I would highly recommend not to pursue it in a brand new German car.

Wrap for time being or opt-out altogether.

PS : Wouldn't your missus be happy with some jewellery worth the repaint cost if you are fine on spending anyway?

Last edited by Thilak29 : 16th March 2021 at 10:20.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 10:27   #54
Senior - BHPian

The small number of votes for the option "Yes" is all accidental and is probably due to the confusion between the thread title and the poll question.

I wouldn't even think of repainting even a cheap car straight out of the showroom.

Repainting a new BMW, that too right after buying it? I can't even imagine.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 12:44   #55
BHPian

Repainting a new car makes no sense. In repainting, even the factory setup will not match factory quality since the process will be nowhere close. Also, you will need to remove a lot of trim and fix it back, again you lose the factory fitting. While I am sure BMW is not going to rattle but it will always be at the back of your mind and you will see early detirioration.

Anything you do is like a second-hand car. Better wait or wrap. Personally, I will not even wrap since that will also need removing trim.
Old 16th March 2021, 13:48   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope the white colour is not rejected because it is a "taxi colour". X3 comes in mineral-white which is a metallic white and is an extra-cost option in most markets. White-metallic colours offered by luxury car brands look absolutely stunning. They charge extra because of the additional layers of paint and pearl effect that gives it a very upmarket look. If you also consider the contrast offered by panoramic roof, black wheels, etc on a metallic white, they will be a sight to behold. Of course, colour preference is subjective and there is no right or wrong choice. As others have mentioned, repainting is a terrible idea.
Old 16th March 2021, 15:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Other than the legal part. lets look objectively.
New car needs very minimal body, prep work. There is no need to go bare metal. A 800 or 1000 grit sanding will prep to receive new paint. Do a DA sanding with 800 grit.
I would directly paint on factory clear after DA with 800. Go with good quality paint with a high solid clear. Do in a paint booth by an experienced painter. Good prepping and painting will last as long as factory and since there is no stripping to bare metal, this coat is additional protection.

Wrapping and peel off paints don't cover hard to reach parts. Especially the wraps.

Now negatives. Will affect resale value of the vehicle. Normally all greedy booths will charge dupont money and will apply nerolac paint. Questionable skill levels.
technical difficulty in scuffing door jams, trunks etc. If not scuffed properly, the paint from the head of the bolts, bumper joints, door jams etc will fly off under a good pressure washer. That's irritating sight on an expensive car. I went through colour change (10 year old car) and went through this irritation until i couldn't bear it any longer, took the car to bits and painted myself. I am very happy with the outcome.
I always loved the idea of taking any other colour if that saves money and paint to colour i like. There is nothing more satisfying.

suggest youtube videos by Spray2k. Especially the colour change ones.

Last edited by kutlee : 16th March 2021 at 15:40.
Old 16th March 2021, 16:01   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess the poll cannot be reversed. Seeing the title came in and voted - 'yes, it is a bad idea'. Then realized the poll is 'Will you repaint: Yes/No'

So my answer is no. Makes no sense to do so in my opinion.
Old 16th March 2021, 16:18   #59
BHPian

Was just going through the Camry review and found this picture. No explanations required for those who love factory finishes
Attached Thumbnails
Repainting a brand new car | Is it a bad idea?-2019toyotacamry26.jpg  

Old 16th March 2021, 18:47   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Not sure what are its implications. Does it make sense at all, or I just bite the bullet and wait it out few more months and hope the dates are not pushed indefinitely?
I won't recommend doing that, the painting process in the factory starts before the car is fitted with any of the interior parts. Doing the job that thorough would require the car to be stripped to bare bones, and with sophisticated electrical and electronic system cars have these days, I won't even think of doing that, and yet you might not end up with OEM finish.
IMHO, no matter what, once you buy a car, your ride becomes the apple of your eyes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks