Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2020, 15:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India

And here we have manufacturers like Toyota who had to discontinue Etios because it was not feasible for them to make bumpers which confirms to pedestrian safety norms.
If they knew beforehand that removing bumpers altogether was legal, we would have Etios still running around without bumpers. And Toyota was wrongly blaming Indian tax structures for not performing well over here. They should have thought about such factory modification beforehand and could have generated more profits by removing the bumpers altogether.

Indian cars barely meet safety norms. Imagine the risk taken by the owners who remove bumpers from cars like Baleno. In such unsafe cars, bumpers are the only source which can atleast take 50% of the impact.

This trend should quickly be banned by the authorities before it becomes viral. Otherwise, the days are not far when even bumpers will be sold as an accessory to keep the starting price of cars attractive.
DrCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:36   #32
BHPian

This trend is fast catching up in Mods own country. I have seen few of them during my recent visit to Kochi, and it looks way too off. All photos of them are heavily edited to look good on Instagram, but there is nothing to show off.
ynike99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:54   #33
BHPian

When I first read the title, I thought this thread was take on some cars where the manufacturers make the rear bumper wafer thin in order to meet the 4 m requirement.

But going from pseudo bumper to no bumper is a whole new level . The thought process seems to be "I have to modify my car so that it stands out visibly and it need not beautiful, tasteful or functional" .

Since this started cropping up in KL and going by the recent actions on illegal mods by authorities, I am hopeful that this trend can be stopped easily.

Last edited by Doo_Dev : 23rd October 2020 at 16:59.
Doo_Dev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 17:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

That Swift with no rear bumper got to be the most hideous object on the streets.

I think I see the problem. The owners should just cut off the exposed metal underbody with angle grinders and go for a clean look.
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 17:16   #35
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Dumb as they come.

Makes no sense on the Innova or polo or swift.

If they had to do it for looks then too they needed to put more efforts in clearing out the stuff hidden below the Bumpers.

Lazy Mod.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 18:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Initially thought the thread was about the wafer thin rear bumpers in most mass market cars, but then it has been going on for a decade now, why the hue and cry now.

Opens thread.
Great. Another fad.

Have only seen a Polo (not the one shown above) with the rear bumper delete on Instagram. Thought it was a one-off thing.
For pics, okay cool.
But on the road? Nah.
Heck, even genuine motorists who had an accident and had to go bumper-less till the service centre will now be modifiers for the cops.

Not only about the basic protection, with many cars having their number plates on the bumper, this should be strictly punished.

Like, nothing better to cheat the speedcam than an absent rear number plate!!

Stupid fad like those bright coloured towhooks or the colony tags hanging behind and those lower windshield stickers.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 18:09   #37
BHPian

I would really like to know what on earth the owners of those Baleno/swift/polo/innova were smoking while doing these hideous mod job.

Those cars, to my eyes looks like some accident vehicles. Nothing else.
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:03   #38
Team-BHP Support

If I was the insurer and needed to pay out for a rear end shunt. I would refuse to do so as the car was un protected
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:04   #39
BHPian

Simple response -

HAhahahahahaha

unless it was done for practical reasons (cooling,weight saving, or as part of other upgrades), this is the funniest "mod" i've seen. And the Swift backend is hideous !
Old 23rd October 2020, 20:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

To be clear, removing a rear bumper will not pass roadworthiness inspections anywhere in the world. Bisimoto*'s car is only like that for press shoots.

Also, unless you have turbos, which some of the cars do, there is absolutely no need for 'extra cooling' by removing the rear bumpers. OEM designers are not idiots. The sort of tools an OEM has to model airflow and fluid+thermodynamics are beyond the wildest dreams of most aftermarket exhaust makers.

*I'm separately afraid that now that I've said the Bisi word, the old Vtec-kicked-in-yo gang will show up.
v1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 20:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Next we'd see fire breathing cars from Mad Max; that no one dare come close to!
Old 23rd October 2020, 21:20   #42
BHPian

Well, I guess this is inspired by this fashion trend.

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-1image.jpg

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-g12101.jpg

Jokes aside, it's because of morons like this, the law is doubling down on all mods, even purpose built ones.

Hits quite close to home because I now have to feel the stress when taking out my overland focussed build because the law cannot (and is not expected to) distinguish between some idiot who thinks he's gonna get 200 lambopower by deleting the rear bumper of his 70bhp fwd hatch vs purposeful mods.
Tassem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 23:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is that Common sense is becoming a rare commodity. Not just in India, but across the world.

Such deletes achieve no purpose (expect in 4x4s) and can cause serious injury/damage in collisions.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 23:47   #44
BHPian

What are the people owning Swift/Polo/Baleno/Innova and likes thinking? What exactly are they trying to show off? Some body needs to remind them that their cars ain't supercars. Taking off your shirt to show-off your muscles is one thing but this is more like showing off your bones.
They'll learn it the hard way when some body rear ends them.
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 23:49   #45
BHPian

Kaun hai ye log? Kaha se aate hai ye log? This is acceptable if you have a mid-engine exotic and want to show off the beautiful custom exhaust fabrication or big turbo setup.

Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-a042bd685e3f8e92d12543a0df0e853c.jpg
Not on economy cars like the Baleno or Swift. Do the owners really want us to admire their Baleno's ugly, dirty bare metal?
Rear Bumper Delete : Silly new trend catching on in India-baleno-bd.jpg

Last edited by TaurusSHO : 23rd October 2020 at 23:52.
TaurusSHO is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks