Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2020, 14:14   #16
BANNED

Re: After-Market Cabin Air Filters

People don’t realize but some of these air purifiers are actually harmful to health. The ones with plasma cluster, ionizer, nano particles, etc. which use the technology to produce negative ions to attach to positive ions of dust, microbes, viruses, etc is actually rather harmful. The process actually produces ground level ozone O3- or something like that. This ground level ozone is carcinogen and aggravates ashthma and causes coughing in children. This technology as far as I know is banned in US by EPA. Search on the internet to get the details.
I myself bought a Rs. 16k worth of Panasonic air purifier with this nano particles technology. I learnt later about the possible harmful effects and had to call service technicians at Panasonic to get the nano emitter deactivated. My filter now has a charcoal and hepa filter only.
So my suggestion would be to find a filter with just a hepa/charcoal filter. Skip the ones with anything like an ionizer or similar technology.
chaudh2s is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 00:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I spotted this Hyundai external air filter costing just Rs 2,600 - which plugs into the car charger. This looks like a value buy. I also have used Sharp Plasmacluster devices in the past, to much relief.
I’m currently looking at buying i10 Nios and got to know that the Magna Corporate edition comes with an air purifier which isn’t available in higher variants!

I found this on their accessories website but when I checked with the showroom they had no clue about it. Can you please tell me where you bought it from?
Old 28th September 2020, 08:54   #18
BHPian

I am associated with the pollution industry and I had many questions on the efficacy of these filters. I then found smartair which has answered almost all my questions. The founder started it in response to the pollution in Chine . I cannot vouch for their products, but their blog is the best when it comes to answering my queries on air pollution with data.

Based on their experiments with commercially available air filters, below are their recommendations for car air purifiers. The tests were done in an Uber in China and another car in Israel. I suggest to take a look at the study , but below are their recommendations.
  1. Keep the car windows closed.
  2. Use the “recirculate air” mode for the highest particulate drop.
  3. Turn the fan on high (at least at the beginning of the trip).
  4. Check and replace your filters every few months.
  5. Think twice about whether you really need a car purifier
sukarsan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 09:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

I spotted it at Pawan Hyundai. I have not purchased it as I'm trying to source a philps one with display. If you do purchase, please review
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinshark View Post
I found this on their accessories website but when I checked with the showroom they had no clue about it. Can you please tell me where you bought it from?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 10:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I have always wondered if it’s possible to replace the stock cabin air filter with better HEPA ones. Tesla cars have something called as Bioweapon Defense Mode which I believe is just a fancy word for HEPA filter + a powerful air circulator.
I once tried using a HEPA filter, instead of the regular cabin air filter, in my 3rd Generation Honda city. While it "felt" as if it was effective, the AC circulation drop and increased noise from the fan was too high to use the filter consistently. I used this one: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07MDZ6WPP.
shobhit.shri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 11:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Bought this 'my TVS' cabin filter from Flipkart. Was looking for a air purifier actually and stumbled upon this new stuff. Says it comes with 3 stage air purification (yet to fully test its efficacy).
Do let us know about the efficacy of the product since I too stumbled across this product on Amazon and was planning on buying it. Additionally, I also came across a similar product https://www.amazon.in/Sanitizer-Sani..._t3_B07X5RG4MS

I am also a bit skeptical about the cooling of the AC since these filters are generally thicker than the normal cabin air filters.
subhro1988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 23:55   #22
BHPian

Hi,

I have Philips purifier which I had bought from Amazon sometimes in Dec-2017. Don't recall exact how much I paid but it was on some discount when I purchased. Initially I was using it regularly, eventually kept it only for long drives. It's good and simple with option to fix to back of the front seat but I usually keep it on the rear parcel tray.

It's good but honestly unable to differentiate if it's really beneficial or it's just a mental peace

Here is the link to Philips site.

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/GPC10M...r-air-purifier
Old 29th September 2020, 15:23   #23
BANNED

If mods read this post please ensure people read it as their health is at stake. Ionizer type air/home car purifiers are not safe. You can read these EPA articles and other related stuff on the internet.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...g-air-cleaners

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...d-air-cleaners
chaudh2s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:43   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti has launched some affordable Air purifiers and Ionizers:

After-Market Cabin Air Filters-car-ionizer-webblack.jpg

After-Market Cabin Air Filters-ionizer-blueweb.jpg

Link: MGA
Old 18th December 2020, 06:52   #25
Sen
BHPian

I got the carbon-activated in-cabin air filter accessory made by Bosch for my Vento upon delivery, and kept the stock filter as a reserve.

Works well, removes the smells (if any) so far as well. I'd rather just buy a beefed up replacement cabin air filter rather than resort to this (IMHO) gimmick that Hyundai and Kia started.
Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 19:38   #26
BHPian

I have been using air-purifiers at home since many years now. I've been facing allergen issues since 2012. Seasonal changes which include pollen make life miserable for me. Watery itchy eyes, a constant runny nose and sneezes are a few symptoms > Air purifiers have helped mitigate those issues to quite an extent. Though the filters are expensive to replace, I have no choice as its a health issue. I recently invested in air purifier for the car as well. I chose a Blaupunkt Air Pure and am quite satisfied with its performance.

I somehow feel that it works best when there are two adults and a child in the car. More the people, the lesser effective it is. The difference in the air is very perceptible especially if you immediately step out in a city like Mumbai. We do a lot of highway trips and in the last trip after its purchase we felt a welcome change in the air quality inside the car. It was noticed by my wife as well as she is prone to allergies as well, especially dust. This time around her allergies were not triggered at all, so I believe the purifier is doing its job.

Here is the link to the specs of the purifier

Pros:
Sleek metal body.
Filter easily replaceable.
Filter easily available (very crucial).
Carbon and HEPA filter.
High powered turbine centrifugal fan.

Cons:
Initial cost of the purifier (over 5k).
The filter itself - single use non-recyclable and will end up in a landfill :-(
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 10:44   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda has introduced a cabin air filter which they claim blocks COVID-19 virus.

Link

After-Market Cabin Air Filters-20210316022034_2021_honda_jazz_covid_19_ac_filter_1.jpg

Quote:
Honda Motor Europe has introduced a new four-layered AC filter that can keep COVID-19 virus out of the vehicle’s cabin. The company says the air filter can capture and inactivate almost 100 percent of the viral load.

New Honda cabin filter uses four layers of material. The fourth layer uses fruit extract to capture virus particles.
Old 9th September 2021, 20:38   #28
BHPian

Got an alert on Honda app about new cabin air-filter, and thought it would be the same as what is offered in EU (see post above), but it isn't.

Some observations:
- Neither offers true-HEPA level of filtering.
- EU model is 90% for PM2.5 and India version is 80%. That places the EU model at somewhere around MERV13 and India model at MERV11-12 level.
- EU model claims some fruit extract that will deactivate captured viral particles. No idea how proven that claim is though.

On my next service, I'm going to try the charcoal one (if it is available and not too expensive).

Source: https://www.hondacarindia.com/honda-...cabinairfilter
Attached Thumbnails
After-Market Cabin Air Filters-hondaairfilter.png  

Last edited by Su-47 : 9th September 2021 at 20:40. Reason: Added source etc.
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 21:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Got an alert on Honda app about new cabin air-filter, and thought it would be the same as what is offered in EU (see post above), but it isn't.

Source: https://www.hondacarindia.com/honda-...cabinairfilter
Thanks a ton for sharing. I've just sent a WhatsApp query my service dealer for the price. I'm also thinking Charcoal filter. Will post the price as and when I get it.

Just got the response from Manasarovar Honda: The price is Rs.1350/-

Regards,
lsjey

Last edited by lsjey : 9th September 2021 at 21:53.
lsjey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 22:06   #30
BHPian

Hi, please share the filter dimensions as well. I am currently using PM 2.5 cabin filter offered by MSIL in my CIAZ, would try the charcoal filter if it’s a direct fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
Thanks a ton for sharing. I've just sent a WhatsApp query my service dealer for the price. I'm also thinking Charcoal filter. Will post the price as and when I get it.

Just got the response from Manasarovar Honda: The price is Rs.1350/-

Regards,
lsjey

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks