Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2020, 14:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Parking bump stoppers, wheel chocks & pillar/corner guards

I personally have used/ currently use two old bike tyres as the stoppers for my car. I live in an apartment and I cannot currently look at any other solutions, so the tyres work well for me. The tyres have saved my rear bumper from many a dents and damages during my car learning/reverse gear mishaps.
Old 27th December 2020, 19:54   #17
BHPian

As a slightly more professional approach, I noticed metal and plastic chocks are available on Bodmoo app. If required by a member, they may consider using them:

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-tyre_chocks-2057904/

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-tyre_chocks-2051081/
Old 27th December 2020, 20:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hang a tennis ball from the ceiling that'd touch the rear windshield such that its marking the exact spot where you should stop reversing..
Rather than rear windshield, I would suggest it at eye level on the side.

I can relate to this situation that the OP is facing. I reverse park into our parking space. What I do is: to mark a spot exactly on my right, so when I reach the correct distance of reversing, this mark is right next to my eye. I find this easiest.

btw, in low visibility situations, I use my rear fog lamps. If I dont, I have come very close to rubbing against a pillar. What makes it more challenging for me is - I have to turn around this pillar to reach the exact parking spot. And with the Storme, I have to be really careful. This method of using the rear fog lamps has been very useful when I park at night, in the rain.

Note:
I did not go for wheel stoppers because the cars are of different sizes. Along with the Storme, we also have a hatch. Occasionally, another long WB vehicle. So the positions can change. I find using visual markers on my right the easiest, cleanest, and zero cost.

Last edited by condor : 27th December 2020 at 20:36.
Old 4th November 2021, 11:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I visit my home town, it is tight squeeze (back to back) for two cars in our garage. I was not keen to fix any permanent solution to the floor and visual guides were relied upon for a while

Got this set of chock blocks from Amazon as a positive barrier to prevent a shunt while parking. Although made of plastic, it does not move while taking a wheel over itself. It is however only as good as the chocks are positioned and I have located them with tape markings for now.
Parking bump stoppers, wheel chocks & pillar/corner guards-img20211104wa0009.jpg

They will need to be moved to make way for the second car and put back in place. I am planning to get another set for the second car and the rear wall
Parking bump stoppers, wheel chocks & pillar/corner guards-img20211104wa0007.jpg
GeeTee TSI is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 12:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Advice requested!

*SNIP*
So, it has been a year and a half. Did you find a workable solution?

I would request members who ask for advice to kindly post updates. This motivates people to help.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 18:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post

They will need to be moved to make way for the second car and put back in place. I am planning to get another set for the second car and the rear wall
Hi - I am looking for a wheel stopper solution for my parking just the front tyres as my parking just fits the car. I am looking for something that can be permanently fixed to the floor but the parking floor is made up of tiles which I think on drilling will break and Home minister is not approving even if it is two tiles.

Is this plastic or rubber based and can this one be fitted in the floor with some strong adhesive in the floor with out drilling? I saw this one in Amazon which looks similar. I also looked at this one which seems more like the ones in Mall parkings.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 20:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post

Is this plastic or rubber based and can this one be fitted in the floor with some strong adhesive in the floor with out drilling?
This one is hard plastic all around, but designed such that with the load on its arch, there is enough static grip to not make it move or slide around. My experience was on concrete floor. It needs to be accurately marked, positioned on the ground, ensuring each time that it has not been moved inadvertently
GeeTee TSI is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 15:13   #23
BHPian

Hello
I am looking for thick adhesive foam sheets to cover my parking side wall where my Dad ended up brushing front driver side bumper edge while reversing, twice so far

I found few items on Amazon but brands are not familiar and prices are pretty high.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B083HYP8CC?...TMJZ5BW69REY2V

Any product suggestions would be highly appreciated.
AjinkyaP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 16:50   #24
BHPian

Great thread, but am also surprised to have found very little Team-BHP discussion on this topic.

Yesterday while reversing I scratched my 15-month old baby (read Honda Jazz) with the rear left pillar. FNG quoted INR 6,500 and I was annoyed at myself (for rushing up the reverse park and scratching the car). Have been trying to find a solution to avoid this damage in future. Please read on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash View Post
How about opting for rubber foam sheets? Those are cheap to get, soft enough to protect the edges of the door from scratches and also won't damage the bumper if it comes in contact. There are self adhesive one's available online and it looks clean once you measure them and stick them accordingly.
I tried sticking yoga mat yesterday with help of a 2-way tape. This approach is NOT satisfactory or enough. It is so flimsy that I am expecting it to fall off in a couple of days. Even if it does not, just one encounter with the car will bring it out for sure. This was enough to convince that we need something to be screwed (and not glued). Please read on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
Hello
I am looking for thick adhesive foam sheets to cover my parking side wall where my Dad ended up brushing front driver side bumper edge while reversing, twice so far

I found few items on Amazon but brands are not familiar and prices are pretty high.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B083HYP8CC?...TMJZ5BW69REY2V

Any product suggestions would be highly appreciated.
I too think that such options are very expensive (also relying on only the glue towards a permanent solution was not at all convincing, even psychologically). Some folks have even put up cardboard sheets tying to the whole pillar with brown cellotapes wrapped around the whole pillar (to hold the cardboard), and that looks UGLY!!

Therefore, I just ordered KTI Pillar Guards from Amazon for INR 649: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08JVC25VX. Once the product arrives, I intend to get it installed immediately (on the 2 pillars where I need. If you want a 4-pillar solution, you can go for this: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08JVG2ZGJ)

BUT, the above pillar guards will NOT be enough either, as these are not expected to provide any cushioning. The rubber is pretty hard as I examined some other installations in our building.

Therefore, I am planning to (a) install the above pillar guards permanently using screws, and (b) stick foam/yoga mat pieces on top of these, using adhesive (e.g. fevicol). That should stick hard and hold pretty well thereafter, and even if these tear off, we can easily replace/re-stick the (outer foam/yoga mat) layer.

Will post an update on how it went. In the interim, please share any other suggestions with respect to the above 'jugaad'/workaround, and any other suggestions on getting the car fixed at a cheaper rate (attaching its picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Parking bump stoppers, wheel chocks & pillar/corner guards-yoga-mat-parking-pillar.jpeg  

Parking bump stoppers, wheel chocks & pillar/corner guards-jazz-scratches-dent.jpeg  

Last edited by jaysheth : 17th December 2023 at 17:05. Reason: Added more detailing
jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 20:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
I just ordered KTI Pillar Guards from Amazon: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08JVG2ZGJ)
Update: Installed KTI Pillar Guards yesterday, and the result is fairly satisfactory. Not planning to install any additional cushioning layer at least as of now (the rubber guards should suffice the purpose). The black rubber protrudes out whereas the yellow reflectors are dipped inside. That is thoughtful, as the chances of car hitting the black rubber are more, saving the reflectors from impact.
Attached Thumbnails
Parking bump stoppers, wheel chocks & pillar/corner guards-parking-pillar-guards.jpeg  

jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks