Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 00:58   #181
BHPian

Why dont you check out arush vohra's autopsyche. They will surely be able to do it, though cost may not be to your liking.

When it comes to money that has to be spent ,you need to define what according to you is reasonable.,

But the cheapest meter(only meter , no installation)i have heard of cost a shade over 2000 bucks. My guess will be, autopsyche shouldnt take more than 7, max 8 thousand. Though wiring the tach isnt hard. A bikes tacho has three wires, positive negative(connected to battery) and electric pulses(connected to coil) thats it. the cars tacho is no different. so installing one should be easy and i mean very easy. If yours was an 800 ,i would have volunteered to do it for you but id like to do it on my car first before doing it for anyone else , just to be sure.

And anyways , different cars have different electrical systems. Some have elecronic ignition some have mechanical ignition. And alto i think has electronic ignition, no distributor, so that complicates things

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 10th June 2010 at 01:08.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:12   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Why dont you check out arush vohra's autopsyche. They will surely be able to do it, though cost may not be to your liking.

When it comes to money that has to be spent ,you need to define what according to you is reasonable.,

But the cheapest meter(only meter , no installation)i have heard of cost a shade over 2000 bucks. My guess will be, autopsyche shouldnt take more than 7, max 8 thousand. Though wiring the tach isnt hard. A bikes tacho has three wires, positive negative(connected to battery) and electric pulses(connected to coil) thats it. the cars tacho is no different. so installing one should be easy and i mean very easy. If yours was an 800 ,i would have volunteered to do it for you but id like to do it on my car first before doing it for anyone else , just to be sure.

And anyways , different cars have different electrical systems. Some have elecronic ignition some have mechanical ignition. And alto i think has electronic ignition, no distributor, so that complicates things
Hey mate,

I spoke to Arush earlier & although they can do the job & have better brands, I am not willing to spend that kind of money. The maximum I was willing for was an Autoguage meter. Also, Arush said that meters from Autoguage may or may not last & may even go bad in about 6 months. The better brands like Autometer etc are almost 4-5 times the cost of an Autoguage meter. So that was ruled out.

The meter being about 2K, the total would come to around 7K-8K That means almost 6K for installation, I think I am better off getting it installed from my own mechanic than paying such premiums.

As for the distributor, the Alto has one, & though it is electronic ignition with Engine Management system, the distributor is still there to control the firing order & timing.

I will keep things posted here & thanks again for your prompt responses & suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 10th June 2010 at 16:13.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:43   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey mate,

I spoke to Arush earlier & although they can do the job & have better brands, I am not willing to spend that kind of money. The maximum I was willing for was an Autoguage meter. Also, Arush said that meters from Autoguage may or may not last & may even go bad in about 6 months. The better brands like Autometer etc are almost 4-5 times the cost of an Autoguage meter. So that was ruled out.

The meter being about 2K, the total would come to around 7K-8K That means almost 6K for installation, I think I am better off getting it installed from my own mechanic than paying such premiums.

As for the distributor, the Alto has one, & though it is electronic ignition with Engine Management system, the distributor is still there to control the firing order & timing.

I will keep things posted here & thanks again for your prompt responses & suggestions.

Thanks.

i've been running an autoguage rpm meter in my alto for close to 3 years now. no problems at all. i guess you would have niggles if the installation is not done properly. you can get it done from any place in delhi, i got mine for khan market. cost me 3800 when i got it including installation..should be much cheaper now.you could keep it as an option if you have a budget of 3000 or lesser. otherwise pricol is always an option. one person i know has the a star tach fitted in a wagon r so i think it should be installable in an alto. try asking the MASS or buy it from them and get it installed from someone outside... hope this helps. i dont think the Autoguage meters have reliability problems.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1495645

Last edited by lilMonSter : 10th June 2010 at 17:02.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:48   #184
BHPian

Hey lil monster thanx for the link. Actually the wiring of the tach is pretty standard , which was confirmed by the wiring diagram given on the tacho thread. In your average tach like i mentioned before there are only three wires , +, - and electric pulse. the third gets hooked to the ignition coil in both car and bike. In after market tachs there is a fourth light that is for the inbuilt background lighting. So like i said , installing an after market tach is childs play for anyone who understands a cars wiring
Old 10th June 2010, 20:07   #185
BHPian

Quote:
I enquired with Pricol & they have stopped manufacturing the RPM meters. The reason cited was that most car manufacturers today give the tachometers as part of the instrument consoles (at least as an option) & hence there was a negligible demand for these aftermarket tachos.

Also, the VX console, according to one Mr. Ashutosh (who looks after Maruti), would not work in an Alto as said accross some posts on TBHP. I am not sure which version is correct.

@krazydriver: As for the tacho of A-star, I will have to confirm this with MASS, wil do that & update. However it is also 1000cc, if that has anything to do with a tachometer reading or working.

Thanks.
Dude, the tacho installation of the A Star can be done at the apra MASS in Gurgaon. and its not very expensive. Its somewhere around 1000.
I will be going in for the installation pretty soon myself, haven't been able to do it coz my car is in the shop for a complete engine overhaul.
Old 11th June 2010, 00:18   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
i've been running an autoguage rpm meter in my alto for close to 3 years now. no problems at all. i guess you would have niggles if the installation is not done properly. you can get it done from any place in delhi, i got mine for khan market. cost me 3800 when i got it including installation..should be much cheaper now.you could keep it as an option if you have a budget of 3000 or lesser. otherwise pricol is always an option. one person i know has the a star tach fitted in a wagon r so i think it should be installable in an alto. try asking the MASS or buy it from them and get it installed from someone outside... hope this helps. i dont think the Autoguage meters have reliability problems.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1495645
Thanks mate, this was relieving to know. As for Pricol, they have stopped making aftermarket tachos as I mentioned earlier, after speaking at the company. They now only make instrument consoles & not tachos as a separate unit.

I will get an Autoguage if every thing else fails, but would explore the option you have suggested first. Thanks again mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Dude, the tacho installation of the A Star can be done at the apra MASS in Gurgaon. and its not very expensive. Its somewhere around 1000.
I will be going in for the installation pretty soon myself, haven't been able to do it coz my car is in the shop for a complete engine overhaul.
Hey krazy,

Thanks man, & glad to know that it's not too expensive. 1K is something I can live with easily (thank God).

When are you expecting your back? I was thinking we can get this done together, what do you say? OT - What happened to your car, how much has she run?

Drive safe.
Old 11th June 2010, 10:56   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate, this was relieving to know. As for Pricol, they have stopped making aftermarket tachos as I mentioned earlier, after speaking at the company. They now only make instrument consoles & not tachos as a separate unit.

I will get an Autoguage if every thing else fails, but would explore the option you have suggested first. Thanks again mate.

Hey krazy,

Thanks man, & glad to know that it's not too expensive. 1K is something I can live with easily (thank God).

When are you expecting your back? I was thinking we can get this done together, what do you say? OT - What happened to your car, how much has she run?

Drive safe.
Hey dude,
I have already gone the route you have taken about calling pricol. so i know what you are going through.
am expecting my car back by sunday morning, fingers crossed.
Car has gone for a complete engine overhaul, she was finishing off engine oil in 2 weeks as if it was Limca, and mileage was screwed like hell. She has run about 1,10,268 kms.
sure thing, we can get this done together.
lemme get back to you once my ride is reunited with me.
Old 11th June 2010, 11:24   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Hey lil monster thanx for the link. Actually the wiring of the tach is pretty standard , which was confirmed by the wiring diagram given on the tacho thread. In your average tach like i mentioned before there are only three wires , +, - and electric pulse. the third gets hooked to the ignition coil in both car and bike. In after market tachs there is a fourth light that is for the inbuilt background lighting. So like i said , installing an after market tach is childs play for anyone who understands a cars wiring
+1 to that man, not oo much to mess around with if you know which wire goes where . just have to be careful to fully wrap or heat shrink the wires after splicing and connecting.

i think the a star tacho is the best option if it costs just 1 k.
Old 11th June 2010, 21:23   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Hey dude,
I have already gone the route you have taken about calling pricol. so i know what you are going through.
am expecting my car back by sunday morning, fingers crossed.
Car has gone for a complete engine overhaul, she was finishing off engine oil in 2 weeks as if it was Limca, and mileage was screwed like hell. She has run about 1,10,268 kms.
sure thing, we can get this done together.
lemme get back to you once my ride is reunited with me.
haha, well we enthusiasts think alike

Well, anything above a lac is a good run for the 800 or even the Alto. Good going & keep it up. Now that it would be as good as new, I am sure you would keep it for another round (read as another 1 lac)

Do let me know once your car is back, & then we can fix up something. You have a PM.

Drive safe.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:44   #190
BHPian

Hi Krazydriver84 and blackfire9,

Can you please let me know once you get hold of a Tacho for your M800? I would also like to fit one for mine. BTW its a 5Speed model.... I am not able to get Tacho of any brand at Cbe...

Happy Motoring
Old 16th June 2010, 10:30   #191

Calling all 800 experts. I have a 2007 MPFI 4s model. I would like to go for a basic FFE for mild gains in power. Based in bangalore, what do you guys suggest?

I spoke to Automech and they quote some 8K odd for the work. Any other alternatives?

Cheers!
Old 16th June 2010, 12:51   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshshanmugam View Post
Hi Krazydriver84 and blackfire9,

Can you please let me know once you get hold of a Tacho for your M800? I would also like to fit one for mine. BTW its a 5Speed model.... I am not able to get Tacho of any brand at Cbe...

Happy Motoring
Sure thing mate. I am expecting to hear from krazydriver as soon as he would get his car back & then we would update you on any developments.

@krazydriver: Man, did you get your car back yet?
Old 16th June 2010, 13:56   #193
BHPian

@ Blackfire: yeah dude, got the car back and she is running in right now. Have got your PM, will call you soon. Tied up with a bit of work.

@ Suresh: will let you know as soon as blackfire and I get the job done.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:42   #194
BHPian

Spacers for M800

Hi, Have seen few M800s with Spacers that look a bit tall. What are the pros and cons of it.. Wish to have them on my M800 if they can improve handling and how much inches can i add to make it look descent? - Dont want my car to look odd.
Experts pls help.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:00   #195
BHPian

@sureshshanmugam : 1" spacers max. Dont go for bigger ones as they ruin your car's look. As far as the handling is concerned, It surely iproves if you get 13" wheels on your M800. I've upgraded to 13" 165/60 r13 and the handling is amazing now. I just love the handling part now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks