Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2007, 17:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

from their site

Cochin: Emperor 2343127.
Old 22nd August 2007, 18:07   #47
BHPian

thanks bottle, i gave them a call now after you gave me the number and have fixed up my appointment,thanks again.any idea would any bargaining help ?
Old 22nd August 2007, 18:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merains View Post
thanks bottle, i gave them a call now after you gave me the number and have fixed up my appointment,thanks again.any idea would any bargaining help ?
hydrashok got it done from them
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:50   #49
Senior - BHPian

Members who have done art/genuine leather covers could post some pictures to help out the ones who are looking for chosing a material. Its greatly appreciated having a picture rather than lot of details in words. Finishing of a work can be judged only by looking at the picture.

Is the work to be done only at the installer's place ? Did anyone get it done at their home or place of own choice ? I like to know the hours taken for installation etc. Such infos may not be correct from the installer. Any automobile installation takes only 30 minutes promised by the shop/dealer etc. but practically takes 2 or 3 hours depending on the rush, luck etc. Only exception I found to this situation is my tyre upgrade with alloys. It took exactly 30 minutes. May be I was lucky not to waste much time waiting like a typical indian with an unknown future.

Last edited by shajufx : 23rd August 2007 at 11:52.
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:58   #50
BHPian

Any body done art/genuine leather for Innova, please can you share the cost and pics..
Old 23rd August 2007, 13:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Members who have done art/genuine leather covers could post some pictures ....

...Is the work to be done only at the installer's place ? ...
@shajufx, you'll find pics of my seats (Stanley Art Leather) in my garage. And here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2538865/1)

Depending on the seat-covers, I think the install can take anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours. I got my seats, door-pads and gear-boot done at the dealers', and it took them 3 hours to do the job. I haven't fitted the matching steering-wheel cover yet (though I got done also, as a set) -- I already have an all-black leather steering wheel cover on. Maybe it could have been done in just an hour and a half if they hurried, but they took a lot of care and attention while doing the job and did not hurry just to get the job done and start on the next guys' car.

The seats were removed from the car and the new covers were put-on. After the job was done, they cleaned the seats thoroughly and fitted them back into the car.

The front-door pads took another 3 hours, but that was another installation issue and another story (you'll understand from the pics).

Seat-covers that are a tight fit will take longer to fit. The seats will have to be removed from the car. In the case of most seats the surrounding plastic trim will have to be screwed off the seat's frame. The existing covers have to be cut off the seats, right down to down to the foam.

There are a few thin (brass?) frame-like rods that secure the seat-covers to the basic frame of the seat, through the foam at various locations (the folds and gaps between pieces of the foam). The shape of the seat (after the covers are fitted) is given by these frame-rods.

These frame rods are cut off from the the old seat-covers and attached to the new seat-covers at the right places, one by one. This attachment is done in stages as the new seat-covers are pulled on, onto the bare-foam of the seats. Then the hooks in these brass rods are attached to the points in basic seat's frame, through the foam (same as the original seat-covers were secured). Once this is properly done, the new seat covers will look like they have been pasted-on/stitched onto the seats.

Good quality seat-covers will have the provisions for these rods pre-made. For other seats, some additional stitching of the rods onto the (insides of) the seat-covers will be done at the time of installation.

In my case, the original seat-covers were cut off the seats carefully and were shipped to Stanley, Bangalore. They used these as a template and stitched the art. leather seats and shipped both sets back in 2 days. So all the provisions for these brass-rods were done at Stanley's factory itself. And the new seat-covers were size-wise exact replicas of the original seat-covers (fabric). IMHO, this is the best possible way to get the seat-covers replaced with good finish and fitting. The dealer was happy to do this for me, and I was happy to pay for the service.

Seat-covers that are a loose-fit are usually pulled right onto the seats, over the original covers. These will not take too long to fit, and will probably take just an hour in total, done well. I had got fabric seat covers of this type installed after I'd originally bought my car, more than 4 years back.

The towel-type seat covers are just pulled-on and zipped-up and they probably get done in 30 minutes or so.
Old 23rd August 2007, 15:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hi Hydra, thanks a ton for all the infos though I have seen your work in pictures as soon as you had done the postings in January. You have got a lovely and picture perfect work done at stanley, no way to debate that point after checking all the details. Compared to wagon R, Palio has a lot more material required for a good finish. Wagon R door pad is a small round piece which is hardly the size of an oval speaker. I am waiting for a day I can spare few hours to take the vehicle for a good work of art leather. Ceralli and Stanley are my considerations. Will post more details as I finalise a deal.
Old 23rd August 2007, 23:46   #53
BHPian

Hi there Mr. B.lore,
Got my Innova fixed with leather covers at Stanley.
You have to book in advance and they take a full day (in my case they gave it back the next morning).
Got the whole set-4 bucket seats+last row+door pads+gear knob+hand brake+central storage console cover and steering wheel for 43.5k.
Great look and feel, especially the steering cover
The best part is that cleaning up after taking our dog (lab) for our Sunday outing to Hosur, is a breeze. Previously, with the acrylic stuff, it used to take me an hour. Now, jobs over in 5 minutes.
Old 23rd August 2007, 23:55   #54
BHPian

Have an OHC with jet black stanley covers and interiors and they came up to 21 k about 2 years back... Am new here still ve to take pics. Will post soon.
Old 3rd September 2007, 00:53   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
Any body done art/genuine leather for Innova, please can you share the cost and pics..
Here you go.

The work is done at G-Sport shop at Sarakki, J P Nagar. It is kinda customized, we wanted the base color to go with the beige interior of Innova, and at the same time wanted to add some bright elements. Finally chose the orange! But again, too much orange was too loud for our choice, so splashed some color but in limited quantity! The sides of the seats also could have been orange (as per their catalog) but we restrained the use to two small strips on seats, and on the door pad. The steering wheel cover is genuine leather.

The whole setup did cost us 10K+ and they took more than half a day.

HTH,
Kousik

PS- sorry for the camera shake - the light isn't enough at our basement.
Old 3rd September 2007, 21:01   #56
BHPian

any stanley contacts from Delhi?
Old 3rd September 2007, 21:14   #57
BHPian

@kousik, I think you had fabric seats before you got the seat covers done, for 10k, I think they will be PU, right? Do you feel any difference between the original seats and now with the new seat covers in terms of cooling inside the cabin ? Do the seat covers make you feel hotter on long drives especially the seat back?
Old 3rd September 2007, 22:25   #58
BHPian

I would like to have opinions from people in delhi and other places with extreme summers who have gone for art leather. Have desired art leather cover for my ikon for long but have been dissuaded by all stating that they would make my car a furnace in summers. I do have to park it in the open for hours at times so not able to decide. Also took a quote while i was getting quotes for the co-ax and HU and was given a quote of 1800 bucks for the seats. Will check the quality sometime tomorrow but they seem too cheap to be good
Old 3rd September 2007, 23:25   #59
Senior - BHPian

Where can i get G Sport in New Delhi, Anyone??
I'm in search of seat covers for my Baleno.
Old 4th September 2007, 10:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

i dont think we have G-Sport here in delhi cos i tried sometime back and still no help

same goes for Ceralli

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks