Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 17:22   #526
BHPian

LionX, No worries. The whole point was to understand the endurance of the mechanism that holds the art leather cover directly onto the Foam. But your below message provides reassurance and I think I shouldnt worry too much. So I am going the fabric removal way !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post

Even after an year its still holding good.
Old 28th April 2010, 19:15   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
By any chance do you remove the new covers once a while to see the original stock cover ?
Not now, but I will remove the existing cover and drive around with stock cover for few days before installing new covers next time.

Beige looks great but maintaining it is very tough.
Old 29th April 2010, 11:42   #528
Senior - BHPian

Latheesh, any colour is easy to maintain, if you dont give a damn to what others think or feel about your interior, as I do. (is it not the truth ?)

Infact stock fabric is enough for anyone, but when it gets dirty or darker, then you should put a cover, be it a 3k road-side material or a 30k leather, the satisfaction is only in your brain. What do others benefit even if you are driving around a 50k worth used Maruti 800 or a 2 crore bentley ??

I used to think I should put the best Nappa leather available in the market on my fiesta few months back ! But coming to think about it, why to blow up that kind of money for my own happiness or satisfaction when I hardly spent 2 hours in the car whole week and nobody who travels with me recognizes whats is road-side stuff and Nappa ! If I was in Hong Kong, I would have opted that to be part of the crowd there, because people are very brand/quality conscious.

So end of the day, its your priority and budget that matters more than anything else. I wrote this much, because I saw some posts many pages back by someone teasing a low cost seat installation. If my priorities in life are different, I would prefer to put a 1000 rupee seat cover in my car ? So what ? Its my hard-earned money, I would spend it the way according to my budget and plan, not to forget my real financial situation and make everyone say "WOW, fantastic seats, what a work !!!"
Old 29th April 2010, 13:42   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
So end of the day, its your priority and budget that matters more than anything else. I wrote this much, because I saw some posts many pages back by someone teasing a low cost seat installation.
+1 to that, the person who used to tease the low cost seat covers seems to have disappeared from this thread.

Off topic: Maint. beige interior is tough, god helps if you are driving with windows rolled down. I paid 1000+tax to 3M guys to get my interior cleaned and I stopped driving window rolled down after this. But as you said it does not matter if it is not important to you or you dont giv a damn what others think/say. But in your case its going to be easy with the new covers, artleather can be easily cleaned/maintained with a normal soap water/solution itself.

Last edited by Latheesh : 29th April 2010 at 13:43.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:00   #530
Senior - BHPian

True latheesh, art leather is easy to maintain, you need only that soap water spray (collin or whatever) or that glass cleaner. I rarely drive around with the glasses down as I am allergic to dust. Driving glass down with the fabric seats (as that of the fiesta stock), it will become black and dirty within a day. My stock fabric was some kind of velvet looking material on the edges, it absorbs dust even from the neighboring country. Fiesta sports version has a lovely black fabric which is of a higher quality, and I think it can remain for a long time as fresh as its from the showroom.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:13   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
artleather can be easily cleaned/maintained with a normal soap water/solution itself.
Normal Soap Water uuhhhh ... and who told you this mate ? Do this for a few months and you will see the outcome.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:27   #532
BHPian

I agree to the point that art leather is easy to maintain. Just wipe it with wet cloth and make it a habit to clean them at least once in a month. I clean my covers once in 2 weeks along with the car and yes I wash the car myself.

Last edited by LionX : 29th April 2010 at 14:28. Reason: Removed the quote
Old 29th April 2010, 15:18   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Normal Soap Water uuhhhh ... and who told you this mate ? Do this for a few months and you will see the outcome.
Nope, nothing happens. But dont wash the seat just dip a cotton in the solution and wipe it once a month/fortnight. Let me know if I am chemically wrong.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:37   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Nope, nothing happens. But dont wash the seat just dip a cotton in the solution and wipe it once a month/fortnight. Let me know if I am chemically wrong.
Dont ever use washing soap on leather, atleast from my experience. My couch at home was ruined just because of this practice by my maid. She very religiously used to clean the couch with so called SOAP WATER(Surf) . After a year or so, the soap solution had done its damage to the couch and my pockets. Spent close to 40k getting the leather redone

What is recommended is to use saddle soap which is seldom found here. You always have options from Armor-all/3M and other manufacturers who provide leather cleaning solutions.

The best way is to use a moisturizing soap like DOVE. Yes you read it right DOVE, try it works wonders. Soak a piece of cloth with the solution and then wipe the seat gently. After this wipe the seat clean and then use Armor-all/3M solutions for getting that shine.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:48   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Dont ever use washing soap on leather, atleast from my experience. My couch at home was ruined just because of this practice by my maid. She very religiously used to clean the couch with so called SOAP WATER(Surf) . After a year or so, the soap solution had done its damage to the couch and my pockets. Spent close to 40k getting the leather redone

What is recommended is to use saddle soap which is seldom found here. You always have options from Armor-all/3M and other manufacturers who provide leather cleaning solutions.

The best way is to use a moisturizing soap like DOVE. Yes you read it right DOVE, try it works wonders. Soak a piece of cloth with the solution and then wipe the seat gently. After this wipe the seat clean and then use Armor-all/3M solutions for getting that shine.
Surf on leather couch!! on leather I found Mr.Leather do the job for us!! what we are discussing here is the so called ART leather (!!) isnt it?

Dove!!! we are in the same boat, we use one of these (Dove/JJ BS/Ponds FW) and it works for us. I should have specified this in my previous post.

Last edited by Latheesh : 29th April 2010 at 15:50.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:06   #536
Senior - BHPian

Riju even the glass cleaners that come in a spray bottle is not that harsh like surf water. Its a mild solution with very less damaging contents in it. Offcourse brand to brand it might be different. If it forms a lot of froth while cleaning, you know it has higher soap contents.

I dont give the luxury of DOVE to my own body, spare the seats ! I hope the art leather has less sensitivity than our body skin.
Old 29th April 2010, 17:30   #537
BHPian

Man my wife should see this where a discussion is goin on where the cars are being treated to spa lifestyles- DOVE soap, massage(wax), pedicure(cleaning tyres/wheels) and so forth ...
Old 29th April 2010, 17:56   #538
Senior - BHPian

like shaju, even my G Sport dealer told me to use colin. but i am not going to use them. till now, i was cleaned them with plain water. very soon, i will be buying leather cleaning sprays from 3M or ArmorAll.
Old 29th April 2010, 19:36   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Man my wife should see this where a discussion is goin on where the cars are being treated to spa lifestyles- DOVE soap, massage(wax), pedicure(cleaning tyres/wheels) and so forth ...
Well you prolly should check this post from crazydiablo.I am attaching an image from that thread

Art Leather Seat Covers-myshelf.jpg

Thats what he has for his Baleno.Now tell me if treating seat covers with DOVE was expensive .
Old 29th April 2010, 19:54   #540
Senior - BHPian

OMG, Riju, if I faint and fall, you will be responsible !!
I dont have even 10% of cans or bottles in my wardrobe for my own body ! Looks little too much. My in-law who owned a BMW 7 series and a Skoda had just 2 cans, one was colin spray and other was clinic shampoo for a weekly car wash.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks