Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 09:33   #406
BHPian

@Raj - I got the art leather seat covers from Haiton few weeks back and it cost me 12k including the steering wheel wrap and door trims. It was stitched at their factory near my place. You can check the pics from this thread (post #135)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...y-chennai.html
Old 28th February 2010, 09:48   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
@Raj - I got the art leather seat covers from Haiton few weeks back and it cost me 12k including the steering wheel wrap and door trims. It was stitched at their factory near my place. You can check the pics from this thread (post #135)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...y-chennai.html
hi mission safari, i need a place where i can get it done in mumbai. and it should not be more than 8k. i dont want to spend 10-12k on the interior trim of my car. moreover, my most important queries highlighted in bold below-

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hey guys, i am planning for art leather seat covers for my scorpio 7 seater. my budget is 6-8k max, but have a few queries in mind-

1) should i go in for the company stitch type or just a slip on type?
2) do such leather seats get too hot in summer?
3) whats the general life of such seat covers?

most importantly, where can i get it done in mumbai?

i really prefer fabric over art leather but leather looks cooler & customization options are more. so i art leather too impractical for our climate?

i need a good fitting & quality stuff at a very good price. i will prefer branded stuff if it falls in my budget. does gsport have its branch in mumbai? i think stanley is just too expensive.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:45   #408
BHPian

I don't know how i missed your reply here. Sorry for the delay. Here are my answers

1) should i go in for the company stitch type or just a slip on type?

Company stitch will have a better finish so i will recommend that over slip on types.

Yes they do get hot but with better sunfilm these can be prevented to some extent. The middle row in my scorp doesn't get heated much where as the front row does from the sunlight through windscreen. If i get a good enough sunfilm on the windscreen then this problem should be solved too.

3) whats the general life of such seat covers?
I have slip on type art leather on my accent and this has lasted for 4 years without any issues.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:52   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes they do get hot but with better sunfilm these can be prevented to some extent. The middle row in my scorp doesn't get heated much where as the front row does from the sunlight through windscreen. If i get a good enough sunfilm on the windscreen then this problem should be solved too.
Aah, that was my biggest worry. i dont like too dark sunfilms on my car & my car is often parked in the sun, so now i think its a bad idea for me.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:14   #410
BHPian

By better sunfilm i think what Mission_Safari means is that we could get a better quality of sunfilm. 3M has lighter colored sunfilms that cut the heat to a great extent. To have a better effect get a double coat of sunfilm. One layer from inside and one layer from outside. This sure does help.

I park my car in the sun too in my office. I lower the glasses such that it leaves a small gap, this helps keeping the temperature low. The hot air escapes from these gaps.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:27   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Raj - I got the art leather seat covers from Haiton few weeks back and it cost me 12k including the steering wheel wrap and door trims. It was stitched at their factory near my place.
+1; I've personally visited this place per suggested by Mission_Safari & I liked their finishing; also they were quite good in explaining stuffs; their art leather quality is very good; I could see the thickness, look & feel in the art leather material.
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:42   #412
BHPian

Any good places in Hyderabad other than Stanley?
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:35   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
By better sunfilm i think what Mission_Safari means is that we could get a better quality of sunfilm.
Yes, thats what i meant. I have garware sunfilms on my scorpio and they are not dark but prevents the heat from getting inside to a great instant. I specifically went for this model of sunfilm (garware icecool elite) to have better visibility in the night.
Old 6th March 2010, 18:37   #414
Senior - BHPian

hi guys, finally after a lot of confusion (between fabric & art leather), i finally met my car's earlier seat cover chap. he quoted a price of 8000 for OE fit art leather covers. according to him, the price is high since mine is a 7 seater scorpio (more number & bigger seats). the quoted price for a zen estilo was Rs. 5500! colours, designs & patterns are my choice. even covers worth 5000 for the scorpio are available. but that was of cheaper quality (visibly & feel wise). the material i selected had foam type material beneath & had a soft touch feel to it. he claims this material does not get as hot as the other cheaper ones.

also, this guy does not remove the OE fabric, instead he stitches this cover OVER the original fabric cover. the effect is that this cover is not very tight fit (like OE fits from stanley & gsport) & also not very loosely fit like slip on covers, its somewhat intermediate. advantage is that i can remove this cover anytime i feel.

he can also stamp a mahindra or scorpio logo over the backrest. is this advisable?

now, i know that i can get branded art leather seats (like gsport) for around 10,000 which is not a big difference. but here, i am getting a more expensive & better material whereas in gsport, i would have to choose a basic material & pay more for the brand name. also, this guy is offering me a 3 YEAR WARRANTY on the seats (since he knows us quite well) whereas gsport offers 1 year warranty. and main & most important reason is that the only gsport dealer i have heard of in mumbai is Chowksi motors & i have read & heard not so good reviews about them. some say their quality of work is sub standard. also, unlike my chap, chowksi rips of the OE fabric seat cover, so in case i am unhappy, i cannot revert back to the OE cover.

whats your opinion guys?
Old 6th March 2010, 22:15   #415
Senior - BHPian

an update guys-

1) spoke to Mr. chetan in g sport (from official g sport dealer in andheri) over the phone. He says basic leather quality seat covers will cost Rs. 8500 for my scorpio, any colour or pattern. door trims will cost Rs. 1300 more. Does g sport supply PU leather or PVC? is there any choice in the leather quality & which one is better? also, does g sport stitch the leather covers over the OE fabric covers or do they rip off the OE covers & then stitch the leather covers?

2) Also, spoke to a guy from orchis design- http://orchisdesign.com/ (which is near to my residence) & he quoted Rs. 14k for base PU leather & 18.5k for high end PU leather & 6-8k for "low quality leather". rejected as i dont want to spend more than 10k for seat covers.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 6th March 2010 at 22:17.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:55   #416
Senior - BHPian

i dint get any response for the above two posts!!! i guess all are based in bangalore & not interested in mumbai.

anyways, finally went to the G Sport dealer here in andheri. Thanks a lot to 'cartman' & 'aditya.shenoy' for accompanying me. The place was good & they had lots of seats & seat covers on display.

They have 3 choices in Art Leather (all PU leather)
1. Signet (least expensive and thinnest)
2. Luster (thicker with a cotton padding)
3. Europa (most expensive & the best feel)

The differences between Signet & Luster are:

Signet:
Thickness 0.7 mm
No coating behind

Luster:
Thickness 1.5 mm
Cotton coated behind the material (To avoid excess heat)

I opted for Luster in a 2 tone shade of beige & dark brown.

Apart from the 7 seats, even the door trims are done in a similar two tone shade. I did not want the steering wheel, gear lever & handbrake cover.

Total cost after a bit of bargaining is Rs. 11,000. I insisted on the G sport logo on the back rest & the G sport badge on the seat sides since i am paying for the brand value too!

The order has been placed & the seat covers will arrive from bangalore in 5 days. (it is stitched in G Sport's factory in bangalore itself)

Your opinions are welcome friends.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 8th March 2010 at 16:58.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:29   #417
Senior - BHPian

G-Sport covers are good but are priced bit high. No idea about the seat cover pricing in Mumbai. Please update this thread with pictures once it is done.
Old 9th March 2010, 08:48   #418
Senior - BHPian

@ latheesh: I found it to be quite reasonable buddy. Infact its the cheapest & best option i could find in mumbai, not bringing the local non-branded dealers into picture.

The options considered were-
1) Ryder leather- Basic range starts at 17k.
2) Orchids design- they basically do interior works along with seat covers, Basic range starts at 14k.
3) Autofoamindia- Range starts at 6.5k but their dealer dint give any proper response.

Sure, i will update with pics.
Old 9th March 2010, 09:42   #419
Senior - BHPian

@Raj - First, Thanks a ton for providing some tips like checking the thickness & imprinting the logo etc. I'm not sure if I could've helped you here as myself being a novice in this area.

I'm too looking for ART seat covers, but in Chennai for my WagonR, hence bumped into this thread. When I went for enquiry (help by Mission_Safari), I was offered 3 types of materials, namely, PVC, ART leather & original leather; I'm not sure on the following
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Does g sport supply PU leather or PVC?
Appreciate if you can shed some light on this as I'm under the impression that there're only 3 types of materials (didn't know there're 3 types of ART leather that exists) namely, PVC, ART & original leather. Could you shed some of your expertise on this pls? Thanks.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:11   #420
Senior - BHPian

According to my info, there are only 2 types of leather- genuine leather & artificial leather. artificial leather is not made from animal's skin & is also known as art leather.

there are two types of art leather-
PU - the better & the expensive one
PVC - the cheaper one

G Sport supplies only PU art leather.

PVC also has some other harmful effects like it emits some harmful toxins when it gets hot. Also, do go for material with some thickness of cotton coating behind it, it does not get too hot in summer. all my info is from T-BHP!

One thing which i forgot to mention was that even G Sport does not remove the OE fabric seats, instead the seat covers arrive from bangalore as slip on covers. they fit the covers to the OE material using clips which gives it an OE look. the seat covers can be removed anytime we wish. Also, the contours are given using copper rods. G sport claims to use copper rods which bends easily & does not rust, compared to iron rods used by local dealers.

G sport has offered me a 2 year warranty on both the leather & stitching. any issues & defects, the covers will be returned to bangalore though.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 9th March 2010 at 17:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks