Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2009, 23:02   #256
BHPian

If this guy is a dealer, he should carry "karlsson dealer" tag in his signature or something. Also, aren't multiple ids banned?
Mods, please take notice.
Old 25th August 2009, 10:49   #257
BHPian

Hyper on seat covers ??

From going through his previous posts, i can safely say that he will go on sleep mode for a month or so and would come back again aggressively propogating the virtues of getting seat covers done at this particular place in indiranagar.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:44   #258
Senior - BHPian

So, whats the suggestion at last ? Karlson, Stanley, Ceralli or J C Road ? My brother had done his car from JC Road for around 4k and it looked too good for my liking. But I have no clue about the quality of it. According to me, all the brands are overpriced. You are paying for the name, not for the product. Afterall J C Road guys and the so called brand wallahs might be picking up stuff from the same factory.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:22   #259
BHPian

Brand v/s Value...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
So, whats the suggestion at last ? Karlson, Stanley, Ceralli or J C Road ? My brother had done his car from JC Road for around 4k and it looked too good for my liking. But I have no clue about the quality of it. According to me, all the brands are overpriced. You are paying for the name, not for the product. Afterall J C Road guys and the so called brand wallahs might be picking up stuff from the same factory.
I have got the seat covers done for my swift for 2.5K in JC Road. It has been 4 months since, and i have had no issues. If you are looking out for economical and value for money deals, JC Road might be a good place. There are so many players and you need to figure out the best amongst them and also bargain hard for a good deal. Yes, in other places you pay most part of your money on the brand rather than the material n work. As you said most of them might be sourcing their material from the same place. So only differentiator here might be ambience and the service.

Last edited by JMaruru : 25th August 2009 at 19:23.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:50   #260
Senior - BHPian

Thanks buddy. I cant believe these brands claiming their stuff imported from Denmark, Egypt, Turkey and what not. There are 100s of PU/Leather manufacturers in India itself, many of them even exporting to other countries. Indian leather has a higher value in middle east atleast (I had bought shoes few times abroad, all Made In India). So if leather shoes made here sells for a higher value abroad, what about plain leather sheets or PU material manufactured here (thats used for seat/upholsery works) ? And if anyone claims 'leather processed abroad' has a better feeling than what is made here in our own climate, thats purely marketing gymmick. If I can find someone who stitches to the perfection what I want, I dont care if its a K R Market road side wallah or someone with a brand. Thats the actual home work to be done, not being carried away with a brand name.

OT: I took quotation for my house painting from Asian Paints home solutions and few local painters. Brand fellows quoted me 35k and the local painter quoted me 15k. Work was anyway done using Asian Paint emulsions but by the local painter. I saved 20k. Does my house look bad ? No way. Branded guys would have used the same paint and the same brush or rollers. So, its about getting the right person who knows the work. Quality of the material, you have 100s of choices, be it anything.
Old 25th August 2009, 20:54   #261
JVH
Senior - BHPian

This leads me into thinking this - Can we procure the leather from the so called brands alone? Has anybody done that?

If we can procure the leather and catch hold of a JC road guy to do the stitching, its doing the same thing as Shaju did to his house, right?
Old 25th August 2009, 21:50   #262
Senior - BHPian

Why buy from the brand showrooms ? I am looking for a friend who can recognise good leather with a touch. It could be procured from a whole sale dealer (anywhere in India) for the best value. You can chose the quality of leather, thread used, tailor and even the machine. We are not in 1870s, but in 2009. Anything is possible if bit of homework is done, now google at your fingertip, world is at your feet.

I chose a Rs.500 steering wheel cover given to me by the Ford sales chap (he must have bought it from JC road for half price). He send a dealer accessory guy itself to the house for stitching it on my Fiesta. After playing with the needle and the thread for 1 hour, he did a terrible looking work which really made me shiver with anger. I couldnt talk out of shock, send the guy back without telling him anything.

Next day I cut everything open, threw the thread, measured the length of the thread and bought 3 meters of same thick black thread from a stationery shop and a thicker needle all costing Rs.8/-. Did the stitching myself taking just 30 mts. I couldnt believe myself, I did a work equal to a professional. Just an example. This made me think what are these so-called brands and professionals doing better than us.

Adding to the topic: I custom-made a full sofa set ( 3 + 1 + 1 ) done with very good quality art-leather and lots of filling for that luxury comfort. My total cost was 30k and its as good as brand new after 1 year. My neighbour went to a branded showroom (not mentioning it here), paid 55k and got similar looking, high-quality sofa, 3 months back. His 2 year old kid jumped on it and the centre support was broken the very next day. Most corners have lost its stitches and the filling is coming out, overall its in a terrible shape.

I can parade too many instances where a brand fails infront of a custom-made and economical product. How many of you have done a modular kitchen in your houses ? I had taken quotations from 5 different places, atlast opted for a contractor who does the same quality work for half the cost of others. Its now 18 months, not a single sheet or panel has come off.
Old 26th August 2009, 01:05   #263
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thanks buddy. I cant believe these brands claiming their stuff imported from Denmark, Egypt, Turkey and what not. There are 100s of PU/Leather manufacturers in India itself, many of them even exporting to other countries. Indian leather has a higher value in middle east atleast (I had bought shoes few times abroad, all Made In India). So if leather shoes made here sells for a higher value abroad, what about plain leather sheets or PU material manufactured here (thats used for seat/upholsery works) ? And if anyone claims 'leather processed abroad' has a better feeling than what is made here in our own climate, thats purely marketing gymmick. If I can find someone who stitches to the perfection what I want, I dont care if its a K R Market road side wallah or someone with a brand. Thats the actual home work to be done, not being carried away with a brand name.

OT: I took quotation for my house painting from Asian Paints home solutions and few local painters. Brand fellows quoted me 35k and the local painter quoted me 15k. Work was anyway done using Asian Paint emulsions but by the local painter. I saved 20k. Does my house look bad ? No way. Branded guys would have used the same paint and the same brush or rollers. So, its about getting the right person who knows the work. Quality of the material, you have 100s of choices, be it anything.
Here we have a hang up with all things foreign and made abroad, there are many great products made and designed in India. Example whilst I was in Bombay recently I spent 12k on clothes, all made in India, had I bought the same quantity and quality in the UK I would have easily spent £500+ and still all made in India! Now I need to build a new wardrobe. The choice we have here is probably second to none in the world, the only trouble is finding it and then the haggling!
Old 13th September 2009, 12:46   #264
BHPian

I took am on the look out to change the seat covers of my Fiesta.
I am interested in Stanley S-tech for seats with leather for door trims, gear boot, handbrake and steering apprx cost Rs 15.5K
Karlsson has quoted around Rs 13K for its non leather option for the seats and leather for the other parts.
Gsport for its luster option quoted 7.4K after discounts for seats only.
has anyone done door trims, steering wheel , gear boot from GSport? If yes please post some pics. I have seen the seats done by GSport and they are very good.

Still need to do some more research to come to a conclusion.
The search continues
Old 13th September 2009, 20:08   #265
BHPian

@yajaman99: GSport with all the other leather accouterments will easily cost as much as what Karlsson is quoting. GSport is slip-on. In your case, I would say that Karlsson is offering you a better deal.
Old 14th September 2009, 16:34   #266
Senior - BHPian

Is this art leather the same as Leatherite, a term popular here in Delhi for leather lookalike?

Moreover, any idea of a reputed and good dealer in Delhi who can undetake jobs such as steering cover, door trims, seats?
Old 15th September 2009, 17:00   #267
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
From going through his previous posts, i can safely say that he will go on sleep mode for a month or so and would come back again aggressively propogating the virtues of getting seat covers done at this particular place in indiranagar.
JMaruru maybe it was not that safe for you say that. If you dont agree with me its fine but whining to mods about me propagating any place in Indiranagar is lowdown and cheap. People are not fools to go by posts on the internet and will verify and make choices. No one needs to go by what I recommend here. whatever floats your canoe man. JC road is where you are happy.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:05   #268
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
This leads me into thinking this - Can we procure the leather from the so called brands alone? Has anybody done that?

If we can procure the leather and catch hold of a JC road guy to do the stitching, its doing the same thing as Shaju did to his house, right?
yeah but the issue is I think car seats are a bit more complex than home seating, and if your guy in JC road does not estimate the consumption of the leather for your job you will end up with a lot of waste pieces. And in the end be more expensive than buying seating from the manufacturer. And you will have no warranty on the leather which is the expensive part of the seating.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:15   #269
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
I actually addressed that query to both - Hypercar & Karlsson - both are 2 different t-bhp handles. Karlsson seems to be the seat cover mfr & started his posts in "Stanely Leather seats - your views please" thread. From the point in that thread that Karlsson stopped posting (for whatever reason), Hypercar started from that point in that thread:
  • Location of both user handle is Bangalore
  • Both advocates Karlsson make aggressively (it's an excellent product & I believe top-notch amongst what is available in India)
  • Both gets aggressive sometimes with their views hurting some bhpians'.
  • Some exact words - "Lifestyle choices", scandinavian swedish leather etc & some typical statements like "sorry to say but those covers look ugly/ misfit/ slip-on pajama-type & are cheap etc etc" - are commonly used in posts
But, both are different t-bhp User ID's & might be separate than each other
Vahan, I am in no way connected with any seat maker and why Karllsson stopped posting etc, you can ask him. I have been ripped off in the past and bought art leather thinking its leather and these guys were kind enough to explain to me thats all and I did my own research. Make your own choices based on your research and not what anyone tells you on any forum. But if I did not like your seating and hurt your feelings I apologize but its nothing personal.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:16   #270
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
@yajaman99: GSport with all the other leather accouterments will easily cost as much as what Karlsson is quoting. GSport is slip-on. In your case, I would say that Karlsson is offering you a better deal.
I dont get why are you promoting these guys after you thought I am doing the same??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks