Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2023, 15:27   #691
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Let me shed some light (no pun intended ).
HIDs are High intensity discharge tubes where a High voltage arc jumps across two electrodes in small gas chamber which is filled typically with a mixture of gases (like Xenon and Argon). The type of gas filled in the gas capsule determines the colour and quality of the light output.
The arc is ignited by a strong 22KV surge which is generated by the Ignitor after which it stabilises and can be maintained by lower voltage 48-60v. Think of it like welding (if you have seen). It is similar to that arc.
This arc actually generates a lot of energy and light and some of it is also in the form of UV light and heat. This UV light is what is damaging to reflectors and plastics especially.
What manufacturers do to avoid the damage is to have the glass capsule and the outer bulb made of special UV cut glass to reduce the UV output. All good manufacturers like Philips, Osram etc take care of this. But small cheap players often cut costs and so not use good UV cut glass.
These glasses then let UV light out from the bulb and ultimately damage the reflectors and plastics within a few months.

Led Bulbs do not have this problem and the light output is UV safe (for visible light LEDs).

LEDs have far surpassed HIDs in terms of Light output efficacy (Lumens/watt) and also are available in all colour temperatures. So my recommendation would be to go for the newest gen LED bulbs.

Last edited by Behemoth : 27th September 2023 at 15:30.
Behemoth is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 00:52   #692
BANNED

Re: Looking to upgrade headlight bulbs on my nexon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
As I understand, light output is a function of heat and energy consumed. And most auto headlight bulbs are rated at 55W I believe. So the only way an HID with a rating of 42/50W can burn down a reflector/projector housing is if it produces more light and heat while consuming lower power.

Am not from the auto lighting field so unaware of the latest innovations there. But pls let me know if this is indeed the case.
Hate to disappoint you but your understanding about light is wrong.

Light is measured in lumens
Electricity consumed is measured in wattage and amps

While most cars come with 55/60W bulbs from factory, some come with less and some with more.

Halogen are ineffecient in power conversion as they lose most energy in heat (so are HIDs) which isn't the case with LEDs.

This means, an efficient LED (mostly CSP chips) throw much brighter light than halogen despite generating significantly less heat compared to halogens.

This is why most halogen reflector gets dull overtime, this is why most HID projector go weak over the year (yes, HIDs are not used in reflector and are even illegal).
Old 1st October 2023, 09:24   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoDIYer View Post
I have a Kia Carens and only H19 Led bulb will fit. Unfortunately the Osram does not have H19 as it support only H4. So my choice are limited. Any other suggestions for a h19 led?. I have came across only Bluepunkt till now.
Its H19L, not just H19. This has a semicircular cutout on the holder. Only blaupunkt has listed it. And Kia is also selling it as an upgrade but I did not find it much better that the halogen.
Old 6th October 2023, 15:10   #694
BHPian

Does anyone here any feedback to share on DHC LED offerings?

I am looking to install a LED light bar on my Scorpio N and found the LED light bar from DHC (they have only SKU in bar form factor) to be a good option? The Mumbai dealer quoted 12K+installation. I am yet to negotiate but wanted to understand the feedback before I bite the bullet.
Old 9th October 2023, 08:22   #695
BHPian

Hi all,

Has anyone used the Blaupunkt LED 4300 PRO? The 55W bulb is rated for 5500Lm which puts it very much in the HID range with all the benefits of lower UV and instant startup.

Question is:

1. How good is the heat dissipation from the LEDs?
2. The bulb seems to just go into the mounting plate without any locking mechanism - will this be stable while going on rough roads or would the orientation of the bulb change?
Old 17th October 2023, 15:23   #696
BHPian

Anyone tried these Philips Ultinon Rally 3550 LED bulbs ? They are 50w 6000K and available for 6k on boodmo and other sites.

I am looking for a suitable replacement for my Skoda Rapid low beams projectors. Looking for LEDs.

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-screenshot-20231017-3.22.14-pm.png

Last edited by ankitsharma : 17th October 2023 at 15:26. Reason: Adding more info
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 11:40   #697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
They are 50w 6000K and available for 6k on boodmo and other sites.
Recently purchased the latest gen Osram 50W 4200K LEDs on boodmo for 5.1K. Do check for the same.

P.S: Much more comfortable drving at night now with the Valeo + Osram combo details here (Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT))

Last edited by procrj : 24th October 2023 at 11:42.
Old 25th October 2023, 00:35   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Recently purchased the latest gen Osram 50W 4200K LEDs on boodmo for 5.1K. Do check for the same.

P.S: Much more comfortable drving at night now with the Valeo + Osram combo details here (Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT))
Thanks for the suggestion but looks like they are already unavailable. Also I was looking for H7 for my Rapid low beam projector.

I see that you installed Osram 50w in your fogs. Does your car wiring supports 50w there ? Rapid only has 35w.

Last edited by ankitsharma : 25th October 2023 at 00:36.
Old 25th October 2023, 08:48   #699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also I was looking for H7 for my Rapid low beam projector.
Osram 50w are available in H7 as well IIRC.

Quote:
Does your car wiring supports 50w there ? Rapid only has 35w.
Yes, 20A fuse rating for fog lamps.
procrj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 23:46   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion but looks like they are already unavailable. Also I was looking for H7 for my Rapid low beam projector.

I see that you installed Osram 50w in your fogs. Does your car wiring supports 50w there ? Rapid only has 35w.
I had Xenon HID's installed the day i got my Rapid. After 7 years of stress free ownership, the bulbs have gotten dim. I got the Low beam HID bulbs replaced with aes 4.3k xenon as suggested by forum members and they work great.

Today i decided to go for LED's for the high beam. Unfortunately Rapid's high beam has angled approach for bulb insertion , so they said most of the HID's wont fit and will need cutting and routing etc etc

There was some GT led which was the only one which would fit, according to them. I got it installed and instantly hated it. 6k for a pair, bad throw and terrible allignment. I'm thinking of returning them. I don't think LED's are for me.
I'm considering a 5.5k Xenon bulb replacement like i did for low beam or Osram or aes xenon HID's

Can you please let me know what are you running on your Rapid on high beam?

P.s will try to post pictures or video of the terribly ugly LED throw and illumination on the Rapid by tomorrow.
PrasadS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 06:17   #701
BHPian

If you want an LED that is as close to Halogen in terms of cutoff etc. you should buy the Philips Pro9000 Leds. Not as bright as the Osrams but they are excellent bulbs in their own right.
teknophobia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 12:03   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasadS View Post
I had Xenon HID's installed the day i got my Rapid. After 7 years of stress free ownership, the bulbs have gotten dim. I got the Low beam HID bulbs replaced with aes 4.3k xenon as suggested by forum members and they work great.

Today i decided to go for LED's for the high beam. Unfortunately Rapid's high beam has angled approach for bulb insertion , so they said most of the HID's wont fit and will need cutting and routing etc etc

There was some GT led which was the only one which would fit, according to them. I got it installed and instantly hated it. 6k for a pair, bad throw and terrible allignment. I'm thinking of returning them. I don't think LED's are for me.
I'm considering a 5.5k Xenon bulb replacement like i did for low beam or Osram or aes xenon HID's

Can you please let me know what are you running on your Rapid on high beam?

P.s will try to post pictures or video of the terribly ugly LED throw and illumination on the Rapid by tomorrow.
Thanks for the update man. BTW did you not face any warranty related issues after upgrading to HIDs ?

I am still running stock shitty lights on the main and dipped beams. I had literally stopped driving with Rapid during the nights as I was home and had my Swift. But now back to office and I only have Rapid as my companion.
I am planning to get Osram 4300K LEDs in the low/dipped beam.

I have updated Fogs to Osram 25W LED. They are much better than stock and frankly they are the only support when driving during nights but still leave a lot to be desired. Planning to upgrade them also to at least 35W LEDs but unable to locate any sensible option.
Old 27th October 2023, 12:10   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
If you want an LED that is as close to Halogen in terms of cutoff etc. you should buy the Philips Pro9000 Leds. Not as bright as the Osrams but they are excellent bulbs in their own right.
Yeah I agree but Philips LEDs have lower wattage as compared to the Osram ones.
The only one which I found worth from Philips in terms of wattage/price is the newly launched Philips Ultinon Rally 3550. I suppose it is still not launched in India but e-retailers are procuring them from Indonesia/overseas.

https://www.philips.co.id/c-p/LUM113...headlight-bulb

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-philipsultinonrally3550.png
Old 27th October 2023, 14:47   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update man. BTW did you not face any warranty related issues after upgrading to HIDs ?
My installation was done directly by the dealer during purchase, so no warranty problems when the car was in warranty.

For fogs, i was planning to get iph tricolour leds as it has good reviews here on the thread. But alas, even they are not compatible for Rapid
Old 27th October 2023, 15:24   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasadS View Post
My installation was done directly by the dealer during purchase, so no warranty problems when the car was in warranty.

For fogs, i was planning to get iph tricolour leds as it has good reviews here on the thread. But alas, even they are not compatible for Rapid
Maybe you can try this one from AutoBahn: https://autobahntechnologies.com/pro...light-80w-a7t/

They are rated 40W, 5w higher than Rapid's 35W.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks