Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2022, 09:53   #481
BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindgrathore View Post
Thanks a lot!
I had tried Osram H7 and was very much dissatisfied with the results. They do not inspire confidence from behind the wheel. Hence returned them on Amazon.
Had also tried Durvient H7 lights with 4300K Colour Temperature. They were too feeble and therefore returned to Amazon.
There is mixed review of Osram H7 LED. I too was planning to purchase the same during some festive discount for my Punch, but putting it on hold. Though HID is the best solution for projector setup, unable to find a valuable solution.
Other option that I had in mind was Osram Night breaker laser.
Old 6th October 2022, 12:27   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot!
I had tried Osram H7 and was very much dissatisfied with the results. They do not inspire confidence from behind the wheel. Hence returned them on Amazon.
Had also tried Durvient H7 lights with 4300K Colour Temperature. They were too feeble and therefore returned to Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krao View Post
There is mixed review of Osram H7 LED. I too was planning to purchase the same during some festive discount for my Punch, but putting it on hold. Though HID is the best solution for projector setup, unable to find a valuable solution.
Other option that I had in mind was Osram Night breaker laser.
In terms of brightness or lumen output I can tell with fair amount of confidence that Osram are the better ones among after market LEDs, you could try Philips Ultinon as well though more expensive.

However what really makes or break LED swap with halogen is the beam formation. Beam as to be brightest at the top center and then gradually reduce, only then on road it will result in good results. Osram design allows you to both rotate the LED and also pull it back and forth, make sure you try that to get best beam. If that doesn't suffice then HIDs is the way to go for higher lumens in my view.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 23:04   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
In summary based on my stock halogen swap experiments with LED
  • OSRAM branded products are the best VFM you can buy in india. On Amazon they are returnable as well, so incase you dont like the results just return them. they are 50% cheaper than Philips with equivalent or better results
  • As Behemoth has been mentioning, full integrated projectors kits are better solutions for LEDs but this drop in replacement is least effort
  • HIDs in general would be better solution than LED given that they are warmer and beam pattern is also better. But I did find OSRAM LEDs, very good with beam pattern and worth a shot before you do a more complex change
Quote:
I would suggest using OSram H7 available on Amazon India. I am using those on my xuv500 low beam projectors and they work very well. Had posted a pic also earlier of the same in this thread. You can look it up.
Quote:
In terms of brightness or lumen output I can tell with fair amount of confidence that Osram are the better ones among after market LEDs, you could try Philips Ultinon as well though more expensive.

Osram design allows you to both rotate the LED and also pull it back and forth, make sure you try that to get best beam. If that doesn't suffice then HIDs is the way to go for higher lumens in my view.
Thanks for all your suggestions. Have gone ahead and ordered H7 Osram LEDs for my Scorpio, currently running on stock Halogens in projectors.

Had a look under the hood and is a tight fit but think I should be able to access the lights to install the Osrams without taking off the grill. As I am installing in the stock projectors, any suggestions on orientation of LEDs (am I right in saying the LED's should be pointing to the sides, i.e. 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock?) and how far they should be pushed in? (Understand there is 2 depths it can go in when it locks with the o-ring type seal on the holder?)

Thanks for all the help, will be giving a go with the install on Sunday and trying it out for a week before posting opinions here.
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 18:56   #484

Quote:
Has any one tried these either from Amazon or Auxbeam website in India for XUV 300 (H7) Projectors?
https://www.auxbeam.in/product/33870...0-lumens-2cb95
I got the GX series H7 for my XUV 300 from Amazon and now feel confident. Pics are attached for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-auxbeam-leds.jpeg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-halogens.jpeg  

arvindgrathore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 14:22   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions. Have gone ahead and ordered H7 Osram LEDs for my Scorpio, currently running on stock Halogens in projectors.

Had a look under the hood and is a tight fit but think I should be able to access the lights to install the Osrams without taking off the grill. As I am installing in the stock projectors, any suggestions on orientation of LEDs (am I right in saying the LED's should be pointing to the sides, i.e. 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock?) and how far they should be pushed in? (Understand there is 2 depths it can go in when it locks with the o-ring type seal on the holder?)

Thanks for all the help, will be giving a go with the install on Sunday and trying it out for a week before posting opinions here.
How did it go? you are right it about the position. The 2 LED sides have to be left and right facing. You can twist a bit to alter beam pattern if needed. Start with completely pushing it in and pull back a bit to see how it alters. Main criteria is that the brightest beam has to be on the top near the cut off point and not lower down.

Quote:
I got the GX series H7 for my XUV 300 from Amazon and now feel confident. Pics are attached for comparison.
Looks pretty good, do try and share some images of the illumination on the road. That will give better perspective.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 16:43   #486
BHPian

Quote:
How did it go? you are right it about the position. The 2 LED sides have to be left and right facing. You can twist a bit to alter beam pattern if needed. Start with completely pushing it in and pull back a bit to see how it alters. Main criteria is that the brightest beam has to be on the top near the cut off point and not lower down.
Osram 6000k H7 LED installation in a 2016 Mahindra Scorpio S10 (Replacing stock Halogen Bulbs in Low Beam Projectors)

Thanks, install was pretty smooth. Not much space in the Scorpio engine bay especially for the RHS light, so undid a couple of bolts for the coolant reservoir to add a few inches space, that was more than enough. Really simple to do otherwise and now I have done it once I'm sure I can easily do it again if needed. Did not need to remove the light assembly. Minor hiccup was that I accidentally unhooked the retaining clip from its hinge for the RHS light due to limited space, but was able to get it back in with some trickery after taking a few mins break to clear my mind.

The ballast for the bulb and the extra wiring just about fit in the assembly along with the bulb. The dust cap closes nice and tight and will double check if after driving a few km's to make sure it stays that way.

It's still daytime but first impressions of looking at the cutoff against a wall is that it is as good as stock halogens! Crisp cut off lines and I am very happy with it. Have not yet driven in the night but will give it a go this evening and post impressions. Not sure either about driving in rainy weather but will see how that goes. Kept the high beams as stock halogens for now, but will most likely upgrade to H7 Osram Night breakers for these as the high beams are reflectors and not projectors.

The bonus is that on a black Scorpio, the white projectors now look so H-O-T, especially with the white eyebrow LED parking lights!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th October 2022 at 12:48. Reason: As requested
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 09:50   #487
BHPian

Hello!
I am planning to upgrade the stock halogens to Osram h8 LEDs on my Honda city after a not so good experience last night of not being able to see a surprise speed breaker in the rain on a highway. I am planning to keep my fog lamps in stock.

Most of my driving would be on highways, some people have reported that LEDs perform badly in rain. People who have upgraded from halogens to LEDs, please provide your inputs with your experience of using aftermarket LEDs in the rain? Thanks!
Old 16th October 2022, 12:27   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3t4ph0r1c View Post
Hello!
Most of my driving would be on highways, some people have reported that LEDs perform badly in rain. People who have upgraded from halogens to LEDs, please provide your inputs with your experience of using aftermarket LEDs in the rain? Thanks!
Quote:
Osram 6000k H7 LED installation in a 2016 Mahindra Scorpio S10 (Replacing stock Halogen Bulbs in Low Beam Projectors)
Update:

Absolutely loving the Osram LED's in city driving. The beam pattern in the Scorpio's stock projectors are outstanding and pretty much as good as stock, with the addition being it has a much wider spread to illuminate the sides of the roads. There is absolutely no scatter or blinding of incoming traffic.

Very, very happy with them, it is quite literally a day and night difference over the stock halogen bulbs in the same projectors. I have driven in mild rain and the experience was not as great, but definitely manageable and not too difficult, still an improvement over stock. Yet to test in heavy rain and fog (generally never really any heavy fog in Pune).

I have ordered Osram Nightbreakers 200 to change the high beam halogens. These seem to be Osram's latest offering in the Nightbreaker series and got them for a really good price from Amazon UK and a family member is bringing them down for me. They seem to be available on Amazon IN too but without prime shipping so not sure of how reliable that will be. Anyone have any experience with these bulbs?

Final part of the upgrade is the static bending cornering lights that are in the headlight assembly, they are H1 in a reflector setup. Am confused whether to change these to LEDs or keep them as halogens. Any thoughts?
s4ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 10:51   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3t4ph0r1c View Post
Hello!
I am planning to upgrade the stock halogens to Osram h8 LEDs on my Honda city after a not so good experience last night of not being able to see a surprise speed breaker in the rain on a highway. I am planning to keep my fog lamps in stock.

Which honda city do you have? is it a single H4 reflector for both hi/low beams? If yes then I would highly recommend against going for LEDs since you have significant highway driving. LEDs scatter a lot esp with after marketing upgrades where beam patterns are not good. In rains and wet conditions the white light just disappears. I had used LEDs on my XUV hi beams once but reverted to halogens after a highway trip. Even in normal conditions I couldn't see as far as halogens.

Quote:
Update:

Absolutely loving the Osram LED's in city driving. The beam pattern in the Scorpio's stock projectors are outstanding and pretty much as good as stock, with the addition being it has a much wider spread to illuminate the sides of the roads. There is absolutely no scatter or blinding of incoming traffic.

Very, very happy with them, it is quite literally a day and night difference over the stock halogen bulbs in the same projectors. I have driven in mild rain and the experience was not as great, but definitely manageable and not too difficult, still an improvement over stock. Yet to test in heavy rain and fog (generally never really any heavy fog in Pune).

I have ordered Osram Nightbreakers 200 to change the high beam halogens. These seem to be Osram's latest offering in the Nightbreaker series and got them for a really good price from Amazon UK and a family member is bringing them down for me. They seem to be available on Amazon IN too but without prime shipping so not sure of how reliable that will be. Anyone have any experience with these bulbs?

Final part of the upgrade is the static bending cornering lights that are in the headlight assembly, they are H1 in a reflector setup. Am confused whether to change these to LEDs or keep them as halogens. Any thoughts?
Glad the OSRAM LEDs worked well for you. I am assuming both XUV and Scorpio probably have the same projector supplier.

For hi beam OSRAM night breakers should work well. I have the unlimited version which was tad better than usual halogens. Dont know much about 200. I see on Amazon IN there is Laser verion which claims more brightness and throw. Just try and see, you surely will get better than stock halogens.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 20:55   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Which honda city do you have? is it a single H4 reflector for both hi/low beams? If yes then I would highly recommend against going for LEDs since you have significant highway driving. LEDs scatter a lot esp with after marketing upgrades where beam patterns are not good. In rains and wet conditions, the white light just disappears. I had used LEDs on my XUV hi beams once but reverted to halogens after a highway trip. Even in normal conditions I couldn't see as far as halogens.
I have a 4th gen Honda City.
Low beam is H11 55w Halogen
High beam is HB3 60w Halogen

I am planning to change the low beams now and will upgrade high beams to better halogens probably will try to find something like Philips Racingvision halogens.

--------------------

I have heard some good reviews regarding Nighteye LEDs 32w 9000lm but looks like there are many fakes on Amazon. Anybody has a good source to get the original please, Online or Locally in Bangalore?
m3t4ph0r1c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 18:16   #491
BHPian

If you are comfortable with 6500k, go for Fahren LED headlights. They are available on Amazon.in. They have excellent reviews even on Amazon.com. For my Honda WRV I went for DHC Pro. I have put up details on the thread Honda WRV: Official Review, towards the last page. I didn't want 6500k lamps. Also, I installed M617 BiLED foglamps from Blaze India. The combination of the headlight plus fogs made a fantastic improvement on the light output. I drove on completely unlit highways, even in pouring rain, and I didn't face any problems. For the city drives, I switch on the fogs only.
lejhoom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 00:02   #492
Senior - BHPian

Got a taste of night driving during heavy rains yesterday - first time since i installed led headlights.
Did not notice any scatter or reflection from rain drops. Had good visibility.

The brightness is inflated by my phone's night mode, and similarly the rain drops are not visible either, but it was raining heavily and my wiper was running at medium speed

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-pxl_20221023_150457504.night.jpg
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 03:28   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Got a taste of night driving during heavy rains yesterday - first time since i installed led headlights.
Did not notice any scatter or reflection from rain drops. Had good visibility.

The brightness is inflated by my phone's night mode, and similarly the rain drops are not visible either, but it was raining heavily and my wiper was running at medium speed

Attachment 2371804
Nice. Would you please mind sharing the name of the LEDs?
Old 26th October 2022, 09:27   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Recently upgraded both my headlights and foglights.
For the former i splurged and got a Philips ultinon for 6.5k.

Attachment 2272750
Attachment 2272753
Here you go. You can find the details in this post. Click on the second attachment to see the exact model

Last edited by greenhorn : 26th October 2022 at 09:29.
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 19:58   #495
Senior - BHPian

Hi. I wanted to know why does Honday City use array type headlights as compared to others who use projectors. Are arrays more advanced?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks