Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2020, 14:23   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessierider View Post
Hi there,

We own a 2019 facelifted MS Ciaz Delta varient. The lighting on the car is inadequate and hence we plan on upgrading the same to an LED setup or something equilant. I am also open to cheaper option if they are potent and reliable and doesn't affect the warranty.

I am currently in my early stage of research and hence my knowledge ok lights and the various options and very limited. I came across the OEM LED setup on the Alpha varient, it is a perfect fit for my car and I am am told will not void my warranty. In addition this adds an aesthetic appeal to the car due to the DRL the LED fog lamps. As per the spare parts price list published on a third party website, the cost of the LED headlight assembly is about 22k a piece in addition to the LED fog lamps. The entire set up may cost about 50k.

Is this worth the money, teambhp official review gave a positive feedback about the LED setup on the Alpha model. Please advice if this is worth th money and if there are other cost effective alternatives to get a similar result.
In my view if budget is not constrained then just get the OEM setup. The light output of the OEM setup is very impressive and bright with very good spread. Plus you get the DRLs too.

Alternately you can surely save a lot and just upgrade existing the low beams of stock car with HIDs and stick to halogens on high beams. This will be lot more pocket friendly.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 12:35   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
In my view if budget is not constrained then just get the OEM setup. The light output of the OEM setup is very impressive and bright with very good spread. Plus you get the DRLs
Cars that come from the factory with OEM DRLs usually have a separate DRL module that controls the DRL functions like

- Dimming with headlights On
- Turning off when parking brake is engaged
- Turning off when indicator is turned On
Etc etc.
- Turning “On” with car unlock or on Ignition

You will lose these functions. The DRL will be on full brightness all the time thereby blinding oncoming traffic.

Better to stick a pair of HIDs into the low beam and get some good halogens for the high beam.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 13:12   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Cars that come from the factory with OEM DRLs usually have a separate DRL module that controls the DRL functions like

- Dimming with headlights On
- Turning off when parking brake is engaged
- Turning off when indicator is turned On
Etc etc.
- Turning “On” with car unlock or on Ignition

You will lose these functions. The DRL will be on full brightness all the time thereby blinding oncoming traffic.

Better to stick a pair of HIDs into the low beam and get some good halogens for the high beam.
i would assume that if he buys from Maruti the OEM setup, all of the above mentioned functionality will be integrated as well. Dimming of the DRLs atleast which would surely help during night driving for oncoming traffic .
Old 6th August 2020, 18:59   #274

Xposting here for much needed advise.

I got my Rapid rider delivered a couple of weeks back and don't miss a single opportunity to take it for a drive. I drove it in the night for the first time yesterday and found the stock headlamps absolutely underwhelming. To tell you that I found the throw very inadequate would be a gross understatement.

I am curious if others who have the rider variant faced the same issue and have replaced its headlamps. Also interested in hearing what options are available!
Old 6th August 2020, 20:17   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderer View Post
Xposting here for much needed advise.

I got my Rapid rider delivered a couple of weeks back and don't miss a single opportunity to take it for a drive. I drove it in the night for the first time yesterday and found the stock headlamps absolutely underwhelming. To tell you that I found the throw very inadequate would be a gross understatement.

I am curious if others who have the rider variant faced the same issue and have replaced its headlamps. Also interested in hearing what options are available!
I have tried at least 5 different LED headlight bulb options and this is one of the best options I found for H4 LEDs in 4300K
http://a.aliexpress.com/_dUXklIw
I am using this currently in my Jawa 42 bike and they are much better than all other options and also are 4300K in CCT. These bulbs need to be installed Horizontally.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 20:22   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I have tried at least 5 different LED headlight bulb options and this is one of the best options I found for H4 LEDs in 4300K
http://a.aliexpress.com/_dUXklIw
I am using this currently in my Jawa 42 bike and they are much better than all other options and also are 4300K in CCT. These bulbs need to be installed Horizontally.
The headlamps on my rider are Halogen headlamps ( they are not projector headlamps). Is there anything I should keep in mind while buying bulbs?
Old 6th August 2020, 20:26   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The headlamps on my rider are Halogen headlamps ( they are not projector headlamps). Is there anything I should keep in mind while buying bulbs?
Yes what I have recommended is ideal for reflector type headlamps. It gives a very good beam spread and focus remains close to original.
For headlamps with projectors, the best option is HIDs in 4300k.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 20:34   #278

Quote:
Yes what I have recommended is ideal for reflector type headlamps. It gives a very good beam spread and focus remains close to original.
For headlamps with projectors, the best option is HIDs in 4300k.
Thank you!. I see that this item "cannot be delivered to India" on the website. I have heard good things about Osram Night breakers, do you have any experience with that, If yes can you recommend a model to go with the Rider?
Old 6th August 2020, 21:22   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you!. I see that this item "cannot be delivered to India" on the website. I have heard good things about Osram Night breakers, do you have any experience with that, If yes can you recommend a model to go with the Rider?
I have used Osram Night breakers as well as Philips Vision plus halogen bulbs too and the difference is hardly 5% and not at all worth it. Also what you gain in point brightness , you lose in beam width as the halogen filament is brighter but smaller. So they are practically no good.
For the Yotonlight bulb, wait for a few days and then shipping should resume - try dropping them a message. Another good brand in MAXGTRS (in AliExpress) They are also good led bulbs.
http://a.aliexpress.com/_d6F2cBo

Last edited by Behemoth : 6th August 2020 at 21:25.
Old 8th August 2020, 09:24   #280
BHPian

Has any one among us used the Philips Ultinon series of LED lights. Please share your ownership experience. I heard they are good for reflector setup but have issues when used on a projector setup. If that is true, then please share an idea for an LED setup on a projector based headlamp.

I wish to upgrade lighting on my 09 MS Swift dzire and 19 MS Ciaz Delta. Both cars have no upgrades to either the assembly or the wiring. Please advice on the best LED option.

In addition, how efficient in terms of reliability are HIDs when compared to LEDs.
Old 8th August 2020, 15:01   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has any one among us used the Philips Ultinon series of LED lights. Please share your ownership experience. I heard they are good for reflector setup but have issues when used on a projector setup. If that is true, then please share an idea for an LED setup on a projector based headlamp.

I wish to upgrade lighting on my 09 MS Swift dzire and 19 MS Ciaz Delta. Both cars have no upgrades to either the assembly or the wiring. Please advice on the best LED option.

In addition, how efficient in terms of reliability are HIDs when compared to LEDs.
For Projectors, the best option is HID in 4300K cct. Any leds will not be able to match that in terms of beam distribution and light level.
Still if you are keen to use LEDs in projectors, what you need is two sided LED bulbs which are installed with blade Horizontal. Something like this:
http://a.aliexpress.com/_dWX74a6
The ones which are installed with blade vertical are pretty ineffective and leave very dark spots right where you need the most light.
Also in terms of LED chips, my preference is toward Cree chip based leds instead of CSP type. The beam effect is better with Cree due to the integrated lens on the Xhp50/ Xhp70 leds.

Last edited by Behemoth : 8th August 2020 at 15:04.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 19:38   #282
BHPian

Quote:
For Projectors, the best option is HID in 4300K cct. Any leds will not be able to match that in terms of beam distribution and light level.
Thank you for your response, I have a few queries on HID.

1. I believe they involve a significant amout of changes in wiring. Would this affect the warranty. I had a word with the SA and he said it would involve cutting of wires which makes the warranty void.

2. How reliable are HID, it involves a lot more components and the chance of a failure seems possible as against LED which is essentially a plug and play sort of a setup.

Please advice.
Old 8th August 2020, 20:06   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. I believe they involve a significant amout of changes in wiring. Would this affect the warranty. I had a word with the SA and he said it would involve cutting of wires which makes the warranty void.

2. How reliable are HID, it involves a lot more components and the chance of a failure seems possible as against LED which is essentially a plug and play sort of a setup.

Please advice.
No, HID kits are also Plug and play and do not involve wire cutting or splicing or relays (if you go for 35w HIDs).
The only cutting which needs to be done is a small hole in the Headlight plastic caps to pass the wires through.
Basically what happens is:
1) suppose your Original bulb is hb3 halogen. Then you need a DHB3 HID kit

2) the connector of the HID kits plugs into the HB3 bulb connector.

3) the driver and ignitor of the HID kit have to go outside the headlight hence the wires go out to them after a hole is cut in the plastic caps.

4) the driver and ignitor are mounted outside using a bracket or screws on the body using existing holes

5) the wires from the ignitor go back to the HID bulb through the same hole in caps.

The installation is reversible, if you have spare headlight caps.

In some headlights (like my Skoda Laura) there is enough space inside the headlight to even accommodate the ballast and Ignitor inside the headlight so you dont need to make any holes in the caps.

With Led bulbs the installation is also similar (but there is no ignitor and ther driver is a very small matchbox size driver) which can easily fit inside the headlight unit.

But with projectors HIDs are the best and leds will not be able to match that.

On reliability , good quality HID bulbs typically last 5000hrs (which should be 5+ years of use easily) and good Ballasts don't fail easily and should also last as long.

There is a seperate thread for HID kits and it will better if you can refer to that thread for more details.

Last edited by Behemoth : 8th August 2020 at 20:10.
Old 8th August 2020, 20:13   #284
BHPian

Quote:

Please advice.
Please check these Link1 (Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8) and Link2 (Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8).

In 2016, I had modified my VW Vento headlights, to retrofitted with V Morimoto FX-R 3.0. I never had any issues. I sold the car 2 years back, and never heard any complaint from present owner too. There is no need to cut any wire, however the headlight needs needs work. HIDs are very reliable, better than halogen.

Last edited by manjubp : 8th August 2020 at 20:14.
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 22:19   #285
BHPian

Quote:

There is a seperate thread for HID kits and it will better if you can refer to that thread for more details.
Appreciate the fast response, I shall go through the relevant thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post

In 2016, I had modified my VW Vento headlights, to retrofitted with V Morimoto FX-R 3.0. I never had any issues. I sold the car 2 years back, and never heard any complaint from present owner too. There is no need to cut any wire, however the headlight needs needs work. HIDs are very reliable, better than halogen.
Sure would go through them, Could you please let me know if there are any reliable mechanics/electrical expert who does a wonderful job around bangalore.

Last edited by ajmat : 8th August 2020 at 22:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks