Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2006, 11:38   #1
BHPian

Baleno development

Hi All,

Just wanted to share my experience with developing my 05 Baleno into a fun car..

What I wanted to end up with was a nice city car, that can do some good high way runs and also do some track day..

So with the interiors, got it a little spruced up with some silver paint on the center console, and changed the seat to Recaro Knock offs (just figured how to stop the loose feeling on the back rest)

In terms of handling, with the original 13" tyres the car was like it was on pogo sticks, and overall in my opinion the whole orginal setup felt very under damped. For starters I changed my rims and tyres to 195/55/15, these gave the car nice solid feel, much less body roll and got atleast 60% of the soft feel.

After 9,000 kms there was no rebound on my suspension and my rear spring were really saged... so with a little extra load the rear would squat, a night mare on the high way, and because of the tyres, i noticed that the shock were really doing any work, this caused a little bit of under steer especailly after braking hard and then turning in hot..

I did a lot of research on suspensions and sriings, and I think I have found the ultimate setup, as you are aware the Baleno is knd of low, so the lowering option was out, and from what ever I tested, on my long drives to phalghat, with a low setup was asking for trouble.. further these super hard setups that I have seen all over was a bit too extreame for a family car.

I found a Ausi company that had a brillient combo, and they specifically make for Baleno's and most of the cars that we get here... Pedders, and they offer really high end technology like VRD (Variable Damping - its an awsome multivalve system, where the ride quality is not compromised, and you get the feel / feed back of a race setup) and I didnt opt for the lowering race springs but the harder springs. Available here in India with Electra Performance. I have mounted them on my car, and qucikly found some that my car felt really taught, and the feed back was awsome, now getting more out of the tyres, as now the suspension is also working and not just the tires...

I have tested other brands, but as a setup with both comfort and kind of feel I want, I am in love with this setup, I am very tempted to buy the lower springs, so for track days, I will have the ultimate setup...

Now the focus has gone to the engine and get some more juice out of her, I currently run Automech headers, with a thai mufler (full points for sound, nice deep rumble), OWS Iridium Plugs, and a Pivot Volt stabelizer... now me looking out for fun stuff, any tips?? has any one done some experiments

Last edited by poncho : 12th December 2006 at 11:58.
Old 12th December 2006, 11:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice work on the 'leno poncho... was talkin to J.D. few days back and he was mentioning pedders too... haven't been able to decide between pedders and Koni FSD's.... could you gimme more inputs?

btw i would not want lowering springs for my ride... I prefer to maintain the same GC...

congrats on the setup again... have fun n drv safe...
Old 12th December 2006, 12:02   #3
BHPian

They work, I have tested a few combination of the koni and the FSD and king springs, functionality, price, feel, I will go with the pedders...

Not taking anything away from the konis.. I think I would really enjoy the lowered springs for a track day, I might just try them out next week... give you some more feed back...
Old 12th December 2006, 12:36   #4
BHPian

Hi poncho,
Can you give me more information on the alloys that you have used is it 6.5JX15 or 7JX15?? I'm thinking of going for 7JX15 Alloys.
Thanks,
Mega
Old 12th December 2006, 13:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho View Post
I think I would really enjoy the lowered springs for a track day, I might just try them out next week... give you some more feed back...
There'a a track day next week?!
Old 12th December 2006, 13:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
As usual,pleasurable moments happen in discretion....Sigh...
Old 12th December 2006, 17:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Bike only open track weekend at Kari speed way, should be using the car to scout.. will be able to get a few hot laps
Old 12th December 2006, 17:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega5918 View Post
Hi poncho,
Can you give me more information on the alloys that you have used is it 6.5JX15 or 7JX15?? I'm thinking of going for 7JX15 Alloys.
Thanks,
Mega
I never worry about the size of the rim... I choose the tire first and then mount the tire on the rim till I get the perfect fit... so first choose the size and type of the tire and then go rim hunting.. I will check on my rim size and get back to you..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks