Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2006, 14:45   #16
BHPian

I have sent a PM to Samurai. His Baleno carries a fog lamp. Inquired if it is a MGA or After Market. Will this thread posted.

Prashanth... Agreed MGA will be much better. In Chennai climate, it hardly fogs. In my case, it is appearance / utility at 50:50.
Old 8th December 2006, 02:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
They are SGA - Stanley lamps. And yes, last I enquired 4/5 months ago , they were 12.5K.

OT - I was enquiring about the Baleno OEM clock. Apparently it costs between 600-1000 !! Might get one if I manage to find one.
dont bother.. I bought one for about 700 bucks and it did not last even 11 months!! office kept me busy and I could not get the car to the maruti showroom in time (meant warranty for the clock..1 year)!!
Old 9th December 2006, 15:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
dont bother.. I bought one for about 700 bucks and it did not last even 11 months!! office kept me busy and I could not get the car to the maruti showroom in time (meant warranty for the clock..1 year)!!
gee . thanks ! I was on my way to get one this morning. Then something came up and I aborted the dealer visit. Guess I'll stick to the clock on the HU.
Old 10th December 2006, 18:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

you could of course buy one from aftermarket...my friend bought one and it lasted 9 months
Old 10th December 2006, 21:15   #20
GTS
BHPian

I too PM-ed Samurai about a week ago regarding the fog lamps and he said they were dealer fitted and cost about 500 (dont know it is for the pair or each costs that much).

Subbu/SB and other Chennai Baleno boys...plz do let me know if you find good fog lamps and also a clock. Right now I use the clock space as a visiting card holder!

Rgds
GTS
Old 11th December 2006, 09:04   #21
BHPian

GTS... checked in a shop in Mahalingapuram (on the way to the temple) and he is quoting Rs.1200/ for a pair + Rs.300 for installation. No guarantee, of course. Some Chinese make and no brand name either.

Keeping the slot for Visiting Card is a original idea. Better than having a clock there.
Old 11th December 2006, 10:18   #22
BHPian

these are driving lamps and not fog lamps
Old 11th December 2006, 12:15   #23
GTS
BHPian

Subbu, no worries if it is Chinese or Mongolian make...but it needs to last atleast a year. Will they cut up the bumper to fit them or it can be slotted in neatly? Thats my main worry.

Prashanth...yea its driving lamps and anyways we dont need fog lamps in Chennai except the day after Bogi! I dont know if these driving lamps add to any uitility value but they sure look hot at night.

Subbu...where is Mahalingapuram? (Forgive me for such a stooopid question)

Rgds
GTS
Old 11th December 2006, 13:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS View Post
Subbu...where is Mahalingapuram? (Forgive me for such a stooopid question)
Man GTS, you really need to step out of the suburbs (read Velachery) into the city once in a while atleast.
Mahalingapuram is the area in-and-around Kodambakkam overbridge and stretching till the Loyola campus on one side. I am hoping you know where Loyola college, Kodambakkam etc are.
Old 11th December 2006, 14:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbu View Post
I am looking for Fog Lamps for my new Baleno. Dealer is asking for Rs.9000 for MGA which I think is way too high. Any suggestion on which brand / what price to pay ?. I am OK to pay a little premium to get the right ones which will fit Baleno and also keep my warranty going. Plan to get the same fixed through the Dealer during first service. Any idea if dealer would entertain such request ?. Thanks in advance.
if you plan to pay an extra premium about 7k for the MGA fogs, I think its paying too much. There are very many ways where you can make the money go into a baleno. In case you want real good fog lamps, then it has to be Hella's.

Beware: Chennai is flooded with fake Hella's from reading light,fog lamps and what have you; are all sold in yellow/blue Hella wrappers.

Anyways, The warranty should not be an issue at all as there will be a seperate wiring,relay and switch on the dashboard. I had it done from a maruti dealor when i brought the car in January 06. I paid Rs 5000 for MGA central clock (to avoid wire cutting) and a pair of Taiwanese fog lamps. I think the Central locking is about 4k, So the fogs should cost you Rs.1000-1500 Max.

Also take note to do the install during late evening or night to be able to get the right throw that you want. in my case I had the fogs throw a tad on the sides and not straight to give me more allround visibility on low beams.

Last edited by islandman : 11th December 2006 at 14:11. Reason: Addition
Old 11th December 2006, 18:20   #26
BHPian

Yeah Islandman...the shop confirmed that they will not touch the harness and separate provision is available to wire the lamps. I stand corrected on the lamps... they must be driving and not fog lamps really. Really does'nt matter in Chennai.

GTS... you need a guided tour of Chennai. Call me one weekend and we will do it. Ask any Ayappan Devotee where Mahalingapuram is ?. First, you will get a dirty look and then the directions.
Old 11th December 2006, 18:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS View Post
Subbu, no worries if it is Chinese or Mongolian make...but it needs to last atleast a year. Will they cut up the bumper to fit them or it can be slotted in neatly? Thats my main worry.

GTS... the shop owner did not have ready stock but mentioned that the lamps are specific to Baleno and there will be no cutting to the bumper. I will check out the same. If you are planning to visit the city on saturday or sunday, we can check it out together.
Old 12th December 2006, 12:04   #28
GTS
BHPian

Subbu...what do you mean visit the 'city'? Am I deep in the jungle? Ok, I will go with you for a guided tour of the 'city' but only if you promise to bring along your attractive PA.

Sometime on Saturday afternoon should be ok with me between 2-4pm, gimme a call and let me know. (Dont forget your PA)

Rgds
GTS
Old 12th December 2006, 12:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbu View Post
This may help me zap the day lights out of the morons coming on with High Beam.
Fogs will not help you do that. I would suggest you upgrade your headlights to 100/90W ones. This should cost you about 700 Rs.

From my experience, fog lamps are really helpful when you are driving slow. When driving fast, I would anyday prefer a long and strong high beam that would give me enough reaction time.
Old 12th December 2006, 12:30   #30
GTS
BHPian

Whiteknight, upgrading to 100/90 requires the use of relay? Will the brighter bulb weaken the reflectors within the headlamp assembly? The stock bulb on the Baleno is pathetic.

Rgds
GTS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks