Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 15:37   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sports exhaust for a diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Reviving an old thread..More than 2 yrs from the last discussions. Any improvised mufflers that guarantees a sporty sound for a diesel car?

PS: Planning for a diesel car within a quarter
Personally, I think diesels with free flows sound funny. First, there's all that clatter from under the hood. Second, the limited revvs of oil burners hardly exploit the sound of a free flow. To give you an example, my Honda's performance exhaust sounds best above 5,000 rpm.

Remember, if you want to prolong the life of a diesel engine, you shouldn't redline. This point is more applicable to diesels than petrols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
my mm540 has the same muffler, and i still beat modern cars in traffic light races, and the sound will make you addicted to rev more.
Oh c'mon, that's a far fetched claim if I ever saw one. The Mahindra Mm540 with the 2.1 engine takes 30 seconds to reach a 100, while even average 1.2 hatchbacks do it in 15 - 16. I hope you aren't trying to say that you gained 14 seconds by a performance exhaust, because that's....IMPOSSIBLE.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2011, 22:17   #47
BHPian

GTO,
i can confidently assure you that aero muffler has done immense low end boost to my mm540, makes me confidently drag race sedans when starting from traffic lights.
But it has not made my mm540 to go to 0-100kmph in less than 15 seconds, or beat modern cars in acceleration times.
i just wanted teambhpians to know that there are performance mufflers for diesel, and that too after trying that only. sorry if i had misleaded in giving information in anyway about in-gear accelerations or top speed timings.
my point is that aeroexhaust makes low power diesels (like the xdp4.90) rev more freely, more low end grunt and also V8 like throaty roars. no alteration to headers or any complex fabrications, just plug and play muffler in various diameters available for diesels.
Best Regards.
Old 20th February 2011, 20:13   #48
Senior - BHPian

Here is the reply from NI Racing Equipments
Quote:
most diesel cars have a turbo these days. hence the exhaust sound is generally lower than the older diesels.

Not all mufflers wil work with diesel cars. It is important that you choose a reputed brand offering a lifetime warranty

Even if you fit an aftermarket muffler the sound gains will be around 5% only. Hence it is not really worth spending on an expensive muffler.

Old 25th November 2011, 11:35   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Well....

It sounded great when the car was on load, as in accelerating through the gears and not in nuetral.

The FE was 11-12kmpl (city) 17-18kmpl (highway). It was picking up better from lower down the revrange. Combine that with the petes box, it was a stonker.

PS: FE when stock was 14kmpl (city) and around 19kmpl (highway). Also note I had upsized tyres (205/50R15).
Hey Buddy,
Would this be ok with a diesel engine as well,
I was planning it on my Thar.
Old 28th July 2017, 10:01   #50
Senior - BHPian

Pulling up an old thread for some new info.

I am planning to change the end can(muffler) of my Aspire Diesel for some audio feedback. This is my first diesel and I am used to driving with some kind of exhaust note in a car.
My previous car had a FFE which sounded sweet. That was a petrol and I am not expecting anything close to that on this.

I am not looking at performance gain at all and removing the end can will not give any either, neither am I looking at buying a aftermarket end-can specific to a diesel.

At first, the plan was to straight pipe the muffler bit, but then I have a glasswool packed expansion chamber type pipe lying around which I could use.

Will it actually make a difference in sound? I am looking at some audible sound at high revs, or cruising long distance will take a toll.
Also does the stock end can cuts down on the drone at certain speeds which thankfully is not there on the Aspire. That is the last thing I want since my previous car had a drone at cruising speed which gets annoying on trips.

Please let me know any thoughts.

Last edited by tharian : 28th July 2017 at 10:07.
Old 30th July 2017, 16:26   #51
BHPian

There are a number of reputed aftermarket exhaust systems available for diesel applications. Magnaflow, Akrapovic, Flo-Pro, etc, do make exhaust systems for diesel applications. However, these are very specific to car & truck models and are mostly for large cubic displacement. It's difficult to find a branded free flow exhaust in the sub 2 litre class.

Generally speaking, you will not get the types of gains you see in a NA petrol engine. For example, the Akra full exhaust system for VW Golf (VI) GTD with a 2 litre engine claims about 3bhp and 8.5Nm gain. For the amount you will invest in such a system, the cost per unit of power is going to be a expensive proposition. Also if you are expecting an exhaust note like aftermarket petrol engine setups, then you are going to be disappointed.
PratikPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 16:57   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Pulling up an old thread for some new info.

I am planning to change the end can(muffler) of my Aspire Diesel for some audio feedback. This is my first diesel and I am used to driving with some kind of exhaust note in a car.
My previous car had a FFE which sounded sweet. That was a petrol and I am not expecting anything close to that on this.

I am not looking at performance gain at all and removing the end can will not give any either, neither am I looking at buying a aftermarket end-can specific to a diesel.

At first, the plan was to straight pipe the muffler bit, but then I have a glasswool packed expansion chamber type pipe lying around which I could use.

Will it actually make a difference in sound? I am looking at some audible sound at high revs, or cruising long distance will take a toll.
Also does the stock end can cuts down on the drone at certain speeds which thankfully is not there on the Aspire. That is the last thing I want since my previous car had a drone at cruising speed which gets annoying on trips.

Please let me know any thoughts.

Silencer Garage does it in Connaught Place. Diesel straight pipe is fine because Diesel would not sound like a petrol, so spending higher amount on a proper aftermarket end can is useless. it is more or a hum than some very loud sound. The hum sound is not too noisy like petrol and is mild. I sat in an i20D with straight pipe and was not irritating. Heard that it won't pass emission test. I am not quite sure about it.
shravan2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 20:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post

Generally speaking, you will not get the types of gains you see in a NA petrol engine. For example, the Akra full exhaust system for VW Golf (VI) GTD with a 2 litre engine claims about 3bhp and 8.5Nm gain. For the amount you will invest in such a system, the cost per unit of power is going to be a expensive proposition. Also if you are expecting an exhaust note like aftermarket petrol engine setups, then you are going to be disappointed.
I'm not looking at power gains for now. Probably down the line, but not through the exhaust system.
Getting a nice note on a diesel is difficult, i just don't want to end up with a broken exhaust type of sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Silencer Garage does it in Connaught Place. Diesel straight pipe is fine because Diesel would not sound like a petrol, so spending higher amount on a proper aftermarket end can is useless. it is more or a hum than some very loud sound. The hum sound is not too noisy like petrol and is mild. I sat in an i20D with straight pipe and was not irritating. Heard that it won't pass emission test. I am not quite sure about it.
Exactly why I don't want to go for any of the after market exhausts.
I'll probably try something with the glasswool chamber I have. It will be almost like straight piping.
The cat -con will remain, this is only the end can, so emission should be fine.
Old 30th July 2017, 20:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Bay6 (Bangalore) had an end-can design that they'd called "Slipstream". You might want to get in touch with them for the details because I have not experienced it myself. However, I have seen quite a few vehicles (including a torque monster Cruze) running exhausts from them.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 17:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
I am planning same for Figo 1.5D. Any downside of this. Whats the feedback for Silencer Garage.
Old 24th July 2019, 08:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
I am planning same for Figo 1.5D. Any downside of this. Whats the feedback for Silencer Garage.
I've straight piped my diesel Aspire. The cat-con remains.
With the windows up, there is no difference in sound. Post 2.5k rpms, especially when cruising on the highway, it can get slightly boomy.
Otherwise it's the rear seat passengers who can make out the difference in note. I open the right rear window on empty roads at times to hear that diesel burble.
No downsides, no drop in efficiency or increase in power.
You can check my ownership thread for videos with the exhaust note.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks