Old 1st October 2006, 17:23   #1
BHPian

Modifying Zen < INR15K

Current Situation

1997 Maruti Zen,89000 KM

Stock Engine-13" Alloys on 165/60/R13

Budget-15000 INR

Guys,
Please advise the most optimal performance mod I can achieve on the above nominal budget.Please guys,even I love to have an E-Zen ,but the engine itself is almost 20K away from budget.So expecting comments on how to get max bang for 15K.

Last edited by artofzen : 1st October 2006 at 17:26.
Old 1st October 2006, 17:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

IMHO there are these 2 options. Though i am not an expert so experts can take over from here:

I think viper tri-phase is about 18k he may give you discount being T-Bhpian. PM him have read a lot reviews on vipers tri-phase and its sure is a hit.

Or you can always go for the mods speedzak has done on his Alto. K&N extreme + Automech exhauts and according to him 0 -100 has improved to aroun 12 secs (stock is 17+).
Old 1st October 2006, 18:05   #3
BANNED

Hi,

Firstly the Tri-Phase is not for carburetted cars. As far as your questions go. I would recommend the following.

1> Full Free Flow Exhaust
2> Iridium Plugs
3> K&N Conical Filter
4> Good Tune Up(Including Carb Overhaul)

All of the above can be done within your budget and you can expect approx 10-12% gains(realistic).

Viper

@Abhibh - It is not possible to gain 5 seconds from only free flow and extreme filter. Either of you have made a mistake.

Last edited by viper : 1st October 2006 at 18:06.
Old 1st October 2006, 18:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

I never looked at what model car it was lol. My mistake

Secondly speedak stated 0-100 timings over here but he has not yet recorded a 0-100:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/288838-post76.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Firstly the Tri-Phase is not for carburetted cars. As far as your questions go. I would recommend the following.

@Abhibh - It is not possible to gain 5 seconds from only free flow and extreme filter. Either of you have made a mistake.
Old 1st October 2006, 18:19   #5
BANNED

Hey,

No problem buddy. Its just that there are plenty of people who can get misled by that statement (5 sec gain by Automech exhaust + K&N Extreme). There is a very big diff in what he feels and what is there in reality. Also almost no 2 cars of the same type/condition etc will return the same timings as there are several factors involved(driver/response )etc.

Viper
Old 1st October 2006, 20:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

I've driven speedzak's Alto. Yes, it's perceptibly faster than a stock Alto, but not by a huge margin. I'm guessing the difference will be about a second or so.

You cannot expect bolt-on miracles. Free flow intakes/exhausts would also require upgraded cams, polishing, engine management etc. and so on for optimal effect. In the end, the money spent wouldn't give desired results, and you'd feel that an engine swap would've given better results with the same investment. Which is true.

@artofzen; the only feasible and best option would be the engine swap. Since you seem to be in the know, wait for a while, increase your budget and go for the swap.

Else, go for a porting/polishing job, and a better ignition system. If you intend to do the esteem engine swap anyways, but later on, then go for a weber/ DCOE carb. Worthwhile investment. Would require expert tuning, but it is one component that can be used in a G13 as well, so you won't lose your money.
Old 1st October 2006, 20:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Artofzen:
Our member 'headers' in chennai has a tuned esteem(carb) engine with him for sale.He wants to give it off for peanuts. Let him know if u're interested.
PS: The engine did duty on a zen which he sold off with the stock engine.
Old 1st October 2006, 23:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

i think a carb esteem engine should not cost oyu more than 15-18k, you could probaly get somehting in return for your engine too which could be used for labour costs, wiring etc. Yes it may require more stuff later, but that can always be done one by one, as and when your finances allow you too.

manson.
Old 2nd October 2006, 10:27   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
i think a carb esteem engine should not cost oyu more than 15-18k, you could probaly get somehting in return for your engine too which could be used for labour costs, wiring etc. Yes it may require more stuff later, but that can always be done one by one, as and when your finances allow you too.

manson.
Hey Manson,

The reason I did not suggest that is because of his budget. Assuming the Esteem engine is in perfect shape you are yet looking at a minimum expense of 30k which is twice his budget.

Unless as Nitrous suggested he gets a ready set(engine+carb+exhaust) from Tbhpian "Headers". Now that is a different story at throw away price.

Viper
Old 2nd October 2006, 10:34   #10
BHPian

was just wondering off the topic, What if one adds a good sporty muffler similar to the Free flow exhaust type, Does that allow some improvement..since a larger vent will spurt gases faster than the Stock muffler, besides adding sporty looks..!
In the 15 K budget- I suggest a free-flow,along with iridium plugs for the time being and more mods as and when the budget increases.
But with a free flow the FE will reduce, due to excessive revving you will surely do to get the ferrari feel and Not to mention any unlucky challan for noise..!
Old 2nd October 2006, 11:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

wolfinstein: just an end muffler will not have any effect on performance.

viper: say 15 k for the esteem engine, how much will he manage for his old zen engine? if he can manage around 10k, then he is more or less on it.

manson.
Old 2nd October 2006, 11:22   #12
BANNED

Quote:
wolfinstein: just an end muffler will not have any effect on performance.

viper: say 15 k for the esteem engine, how much will he manage for his old zen engine? if he can manage around 10k, then he is more or less on it.

manson.

Hi Manson,

5k at the max if he is lucky 7-8k. It is almost impossible to get a good condition engine for 15k.

Viper
Old 2nd October 2006, 11:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Manson, u're quoting too high for the engine.
I said PEANUTS!
Old 2nd October 2006, 11:25   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi Manson,

5k at the max if he is lucky 7-8k. It is almost impossible to get a good condition engine for 15k.

Viper
5k?? thats it?
why don't 800 s swap engines to the zen carb ones instead of spending on exhausts, plugs, wires and the works.

manson.
Old 2nd October 2006, 12:13   #15
BANNED

Quote:
5k?? thats it?
why don't 800 s swap engines to the zen carb ones instead of spending on exhausts, plugs, wires and the works.

manson.

Manson,

First rule in the trade. When you sell you get peanuts. When you buy you pay 3 times.
@ Nitrous - He would probably end up paying more than the cost of the engine for freight. Lets assume he gets it for 5k. But still it would be the best value for money/power option.

Viper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks