Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 14:13   #91
BHPian

Re: XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem

Wow !! Never thought this would conclude like this.

Let me look back at getting the Osrams here then. The Shadow does not look so annoying in the pics shared by ant_vas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
If I get a chance to try on OSRAM HID will buy them, else I might go ahead and install the HID's back again and live with the shadows. Thinking under process
As you said, I have been living with a poor headlamp for almost 4 years, I am sure I can live with a small dark line on a well lit headlamp. Let me know of Osram updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
so far they haven't received any complaint about this.
ant_vas I could not see much of an annoying dark line on the pic you shared, I think we could easily manage with that small shade looking at the rest of the lighting. Anyone with the old gen XUV there ?

QQ : I can see some Aux lamp / horn fitting on your friends car. Could you help me investigate what it is.

Thanks

Last edited by peterjim13 : 21st March 2016 at 14:15.
Old 3rd April 2016, 21:21   #92
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

As most of us are not happy with projector high beam of XUV. The itch of upgrading the low beam began few months back.

My requirements were:

1) I didn't wanted those premium Osram and Philips as I feel halogens dont do justice to projectors.

2) Didn't wanted to spend on HIDs, nor was interested in playing with the dust cap or any wire slicing.

3) Same goes with 100/90 halogens

After lot of research came across this on Aliexpress.

Yes it comes with dust cover and instruction manual too though dust cover was of no use in XUV as old one fitted well.
33 watt H7 led

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_20160330_185148.jpg

Checked it with my lancer first to see visual difference as fixing in lancer was quite easy in comparison to XUV. Lancer has 100/130 halogens with relay.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_20160326_144958.jpg

For experiment purpose fitted it only on left side headlight assembly so that can compare with the OEM halogen of my XUV and even for fitting on right side headlight assembly the coolant reservoir has to be removed.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img20160402wa0005.jpeg

The spread is much better, look at the trees on left side, so even with incoming high beam left side will be visible specially pedestrians, cyclists or other slow moving vehicle.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_20160402_203252.jpg

The grass is greener on other side, wait there is no grass this side.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_20160402_204859.jpg

A shot from 1st floor of my house. Look the dark gap which would be filled by fog lights is not required in these leds.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_20160403_190528.jpg

The lights are not glaring the incoming traffic as its on projectors and on low beam, though they are not very bright but spread is quite good. Actual results will be noticed when its fitted in right side headlight assembly which i will get done soon and post further pics.

P.S

Sorry for poor quality pics, couldn't manage better pics with my nexus 5

Mods if this post can be shared with the XUV thread, I feel it will be of help for some.
rahul_kej is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 13:49   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
33 watt H7 led
This looks good proposition. Can you please put up the pictures of connections - how do they fit inside the bulb holder/ the way pin fits on it, leaving any slack? or tighter? Dust caps fitting in well?

Question - how will be the heat generated by these LEDs will be emitted out of the projector. I mean the rear side of LEDs have those fins for breathing - would that be causing an issue to spread heat in the entire headlight and make it difficult to work?

Thanks again for this DIY and details for many XUV owners to consider.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 11:05   #94
BHPian

Finally fixed led bulb in right side assembly too by removing the bolts of coolant reservoir and making space to work.

I will say results are not excellent but satisfactory specially the spread and uniformity in the beam pattern. Attaching few pics.

Just removing four bolts of reservoir is enough.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1459833988151.jpg

The pipes need not be removed.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1459834012342.jpg

The points are exactly same as h7 bulb, need to do trial and error method as leds has specific positive and negative terminal, not like normal bulbs which work both ways.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1459834028712.jpg

Instruction manual with pictures.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1459834047472.jpg

Sorry for bad quality pic.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1459834069265.jpg

Its really bright, the results will be much better on concrete roads rather than tarred ones.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1459834086202.jpg

A final shot below my house, the area was dark with less light.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-1459834096894.jpg

Yet to test on highways with good speed, though in city the effect is not that great just satisfactory but I feel will work much better in dark and low lit areas.

Last edited by rahul_kej : 5th April 2016 at 11:08.
rahul_kej is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 12:33   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Finally fixed led bulb
Brave attempt and great result Rahul.

Could you please elaborate more on the aliexpress experience, in terms of finding the product, pricing, delivery, quality etc.

Also please add some good quality pics with some on the road, and some near a wall or some if you can.

Thanks so much.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 13:04   #96
BANNED

Nice effort Rahul Sir. As requested by others, do post some good quality pictures and also a comparison with OEM bulbs.

Also seen in the pictures, the annoying candle like shadow doesn't exist. So that proves these projector units aren't designed for HID.

Sad Mahindra Sad!!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 15:11   #97
Senior - BHPian

Ya we need better pictures please.

Also could you please elaborate as to why you are not satisfied with these? From the last pic, in-front of the house, it looks to be satisfactory considering the price you pay for these compared to HID's. I mean in the pic it looks quite bright enough or is it the pic playing with me
nitinralli is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 18:43   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Brave attempt and great result Rahul.

Could you please elaborate more on the aliexpress experience, in terms of finding the product, pricing, delivery, quality etc.

Also please add some good quality pics with some on the road, and some near a wall or some if you can.

Thanks so much.
I have ordered many things from Aliexpress, it has been fine till now, just that one has to be patient as it can take time to reach. The one which i ordered can be found in this link.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/COB-L...442762343.html

It costed me approx 2000 INR and i feel its worth it rest depends on its durability. The product quality seems good to me with good finishing, aluminium body and strong wiring. Even the dust cap provided is of good quality. It has a inbuilt fan to cool the driver which can be heard when the engine is off and lights are on inside a garage.

I will click better quality pics soon and post it whenever i get a chance next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Nice effort Rahul Sir. As requested by others, do post some good quality pictures and also a comparison with OEM bulbs.

Also seen in the pictures, the annoying candle like shadow doesn't exist. So that proves these projector units aren't designed for HID.

Sad Mahindra Sad!!
Thanks a lot. I don't have pics with OEM setup currently, so some one can post it. Its much better than OEM as the spread is much better and it seems its made for projectors as the focus from the lancer headlight was not that good and felt scattered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Ya we need better pictures please.

Also could you please elaborate as to why you are not satisfied with these? From the last pic, in-front of the house, it looks to be satisfactory considering the price you pay for these compared to HID's. I mean in the pic it looks quite bright enough or is it the pic playing with me
I am satisfied with the lights just that results are not excellent under city lights and moreover the aluminium base of the light is heating up and its in contact with dust cap, so that's bothering me a bit. Once i drive for hours during night time I will be able to comment better about its highway performance and how does it handle the heat.

I have thought of getting spare dust cap and making a hole through it so that the fan part of the bulbs are outside the dust cap so that heat is dissipated in a better way.

I will post more and better pics from my next night drive surely, the picture is little brighter than what it appears to naked eye.
rahul_kej is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 09:45   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have thought of getting spare dust cap and making a hole through it so that the fan part of the bulbs are outside the dust cap so that heat is dissipated in a better way.
Yes, this is the most important thing to do. The breathing fins of the LED bulb on it's rear must be exposed to open air so that there is no chance of heat getting trapped inside the headlight. This is why I asked the question earlier if the longer usage of the LEDs like the way you have done may affect the headlight.

Do post the updates when you run this setup for longer time and how the experience is while driving and for headlight durability as well.
Old 6th April 2016, 22:55   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Cross Linking Post -

Like I said before, here my Aux LED setup now - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3947299

I have used the LED Aux lights from Moto95.in and welded them onto the front cross member.
Old 25th July 2016, 11:25   #101
BHPian

HID/Xenons for XUV 500?

I've often wondered about adding Xenon headlamps for my XUV500, but from what I've seen there are plenty of fakes on the market that may play havoc with the wiring.
Is it advisable to get them, and if so where (in Bangalore, if not online) and where to get them fitted?
Old 25th July 2016, 14:29   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: HID/Xenons for XUV 500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
I've often wondered about adding Xenon headlamps for my XUV500, but from what I've seen there are plenty of fakes on the market that may play havoc with the wiring.
You are right - but more than wiring I would care more about suitability. Like in case of our HIDs, it was the defect with the way new age's headlights are built. Nothing can be done. M&M wont change the design so easily.

A proper Xenon kit can be procured only from the trusted sources that would come from references. Unless there is someone who is personally referring you to, I wont buy it. For now unfortunately, I do not have any references to give you - not even Evo/ Sathya.
Old 25th July 2016, 14:31   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Like in case of our HIDs, it was the defect with the way new age's headlights are built. Nothing can be done. M&M wont change the design so easily.
Since I have read all your HID troubles, I have a small doubt on projector replacement.

What if the projector bowl itself is changed to one compatible to HID? Well be costly I know but is it possible? If yes, approximate pricing?!
Old 25th July 2016, 15:00   #104
BHPian

Re: HID/Xenons for XUV 500?

Quote:
You are right - but more than wiring I would care more about suitability. Like in case of our HIDs, it was the defect with the way new age's headlights are built..
I had posted this as a separate post, that was before I saw your long detailed story, and probably admins thought it better to add it as a comment here

Gotta agree..it is also weird that Mahindra wouldn't have offered HID themselves as an extra. Would've been worth it to at least avoid such hassles and get it fixed from the authorized service center. I have one of the last old model XUVs - bought it last March, two months before the 'new age' refresh.
Detritus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 21:07   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What if the projector bowl itself is changed to one compatible to HID? Well be costly I know but is it possible? If yes, approximate pricing?!
That is always an option
Look up my SX4 eyes surgery thread two-three years ago. The process is tedious as well as risky. All depends on craftsmanship and quality of material used. But end result is too good to be happy! The approx price you are looking at is around 25-35K INR! More than the cost of pair of headlights, may be

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks