Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2020, 15:51   #166
BHPian

Re: XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
So I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who wants to do this on his XUV500. Have you installed round projectors in your XUV500's fog lamp housing? Did you get a good shroud to cover that? Or you have installed HIDs in the stock reflectors? Could you please share some pictures of the installation? Thanks!
Or you have installed HIDs in the stock reflectors?

Installed on stock reflectors. Tried using it in the city and got mouthful . I use it only on highways now.

Sorry, i dont have the installation pics of fog lamp HID setup.
sbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 12:54   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Installed on stock reflectors. Tried using it in the city and got mouthful . I use it only on highways now.
Sorry, i dont have the installation pics of fog lamp HID setup.
Alright, I'll convey this information to the friend. He does quite a few cross country drives, so might still be tempted to use in reflectors. Thanks for your inputs. Appreciate it.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 10:59   #168
BHPian

I purchased Nighteye LED from aliexpress for my 2017 XUV500, but unfortunately, after fitting these bulbs, I am not able to fix the dust cap as the fan is slightly protruding out. I tried to fit it both in the projector as well as in the reflector with the same issue.
It would be nice if I could find a solution on this and find a replacement dust-cap that would accommodate the bulbs as the brightness of these bulbs is way better than the Osram Night breakers that I am currently using in both, the reflector and projectors.
Old 5th May 2020, 22:49   #169
BHPian

My XUV500 2018 model with HID setup

I have been following this thread ever since I got the delivery of my new XUV500 ( 2018 Plush model) back in June 2018. I started exploring options to improve the light output when I first drove on a rainy night with meagre light throw on the road.

In initial six months of ownership i switched to LED lights hoping to improve the headlights. A detailed thread on the setup and output images with my LED setup is posted here;

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4490624 (Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades)

The experience with the LED bulbs was mixed bag. Though it gave some improvement over the stock halogens it left me wanting more. Owing partially to Aliexpress sourced LED which i think did not produce the advertised output secondly the choice of light colour which i think should have been on lower side. ( I chose 6000K LED).

I was unsure to opt for HID knowing the shadow issue. I did check with multiple accessories shops but nobody was sure of not having shadow for this new 2018 model.

During Sept 2019 on one of my visit to a known accessory shop the owner convinced me to try out HID to find out if the shadow really exist. He was ready to me let me use the setup for few days and even offered to refund the money if i am not satisfied. This presented me an opportunity which i was waiting for a long time.

After multiple discussion with the technician, it was decided that we will go ahead with 5000K- 55W HID as 35W output may not make a big difference in comparison with current setup. I was willing to have more branded stuff like Osram which was sadly not available in 55W hence i had to opt for the one they trusted with blind eye with no complaints from existing customers.

Fitting was done in flat 30 minutes with mounting ballast and fitting bulbs inside the projector.

Let picture do the talking now.

Brand : DHC H7 HID 55W 5000k for projector Low Beam
High Beam : Philips XtremeVision H7
Fog: Stock

Box Pack with Two HID bulbs and ballast. Cost is around 8k.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-box-front.jpg

Some more details

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-brochure_hid.jpg

Low Beam cutoff on the wall. Clearly a more focused hotspot versus the LED.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-hid_cutoff-hotspot.jpg

Another look at cutoff from some distance

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-hid-cutoff-_distance.jpg

Time for some open road test

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-hid_darkness.jpg

HID switched on and heating up. It required time to heat up but once at optimum temperature is reached it worked like charm including hi-low beam pass.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-hid_heating-up-1.jpg

HID Low Beam fully lit. I could see tonnes of improvement over LED with a sharper cutoff and better reach on the road.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-hid-_lb_fully-lit_comp-2.jpg

Another perspective- Darkness with only DRL switched on

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-only-drl-1.jpg

HID firing up

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-hid-lb-heating-up.jpg

Low Beam all lit up

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-hid-lb-fully-lit.jpg

Let there be light HB+LB

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-hid-lbhb.jpg

Low Beam clicked during some random drive.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-hid_lb_throw.jpg

A video captured during my night drive in rains. Sorry for the poor video quality.

Last edited by amit_3306 : 5th May 2020 at 23:17.
amit_3306 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 16:18   #170
BHPian

Re: My XUV500 2018 model with HID setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
I have been following this thread ever since I got the delivery of my new XUV500 ( 2018 Plush model) back in June 2018. After multiple discussion with the technician, it was decided that we will go ahead with 5000K- 55W HID as 35W output may not make a big difference in comparison with current setup. I was willing to have more branded stuff like Osram which was sadly not available in 55W hence i had to opt for the one they trusted with blind eye with no complaints from existing customers.

Brand : DHC H7 HID 55W 5000k for projector Low Beam
High Beam : Philips XtremeVision H7
Fog: Stock
Thanks for sharing this. But would love to know whether this HID would go into the older 2012 models without hassles like the shadow problem.
Old 29th September 2020, 20:58   #171
BHPian

Re: My XUV500 2018 model with HID setup

Upgraded my 2012 XUV5OO headlamps to HID without the shadow problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Thanks for sharing this. But would love to know whether this HID would go into the older 2012 models without hassles like the shadow problem.
I have been reading multiple articles and posts within tbhp ever since we had our XUV5OO starting 2012. I never realized the need of good quality lighting until cars became my daily affair post 2014, and especially with my Ecosport which had some terrible headlamps. I could live with XUV5OO's stock set up as the alternate high beam clubbed with the halogen projector solved lighting issues on drives.

During this lockfdown, I stumbled upon this link from fellow bhpian on the fog lamp HID update for his Ecosport and I went the same way as well through a vendor called Blaze India. Link to the article (DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport)

This gave me opportunity to understand more about HID's and of course get a feel of its capability, and on top of everything since I am back in my hometown I could stick to my preferred FNG to help in the same.

Before even making a purchase I kept talking to my advisor there who ran the Garage.

> Fast forward 2 months when Blazeindia guy told me about a couple of HID's that can be used on my XUV5OO to upgrade, I started thinking of it and after a few research and discussion - I finalized on the same OEM HID's from Blaze India who told me that shadow issue may not be there. There were a few videos to support this as well.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8480.jpg
Received my shipment within 4 days of order and behold the H7 HID 5500K lamps 55W from the same manufacturer as that of my EcoSport HID's. AES. This time it is made in Taiwan and better packed.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8481.jpg
The package had three smaller boxes as always, where there were ballasts with all wiring in 2 boxes each, and both the HID's in the other box.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8482.jpg
Since I have been reading this thread on the shadow issue which were there in P8 and Osram HID's the light somehow looked a bit different - over to you all for further comments on whether this is normal or not. I am not the expert here

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8483.jpg
Ballasts - this is the top side. Looked neat in the black finish. I was not sure of finding the right spot to place them inside the already packed XUV5OO hood. But didnt have any issues.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8485.jpg
The back side of the same ballast which would go on to my car with 3M tapes provided by the seller.

Unlike the ecosport's bulky silver ballasts, this one was smaller and looked neat.

And now for the installation. As I am evidently not a DIY guy and the max DIY for me is the latest TurtleWax trim restorer I applied on my car beyond Wiper repacement

Off to FNG near my home for their expertize. They were not confident on working on wiring with XUV5OO as they cautioned me of the numerour sensors and wiring challenges inside the car, and since they did not have the iSmart system or its equivalents with them - they suggested to wait until they open the headlamps and find sufficient couplers to put the light in place.

Thankfully, this was purely plug and play - except for the hole they put on the headlamp cover to place the light inside - like abirnale has done on his car as well. I took screenshots of the post and kept them handy to help the mech's there.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8622.jpg
Did not cover the whole process on cam, however the image after the bulb and cap is inserted. The seal that came along with the wiring proved quite sufficient to handle dust and water.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8623.jpg
The RHS ballast went into the front right suspension mount and looked safe and secure there. Held all the adjoined wiring with secure wiretags as the space was tight.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8624.jpg
The LHS ballast went on top of the fuse box cover, and here again we had to remove the battery first to fix the lamps and had to ensure that there is zero contact with the battery and also to ensure that the fuse box can be easily opened. The wire lenght was sufficient for this action.

Now for the real test, there was zero adjustment, pure plug and play.

Throughout the process I had the shadow issue in mind, and I kept on assuring myself that even if there is any shadow I would still use it - given that I've come this far.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8625.jpg
RHS

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8628.jpg
LHS

To my shock both the light had a shadow on the headlamp glass. If you can look closely you can find them in the above 2 pictures, this gave me the shock I was expecting but somehow could not find anything on the illuminated area. I was still not sure since that was within the Garage and that too around 3 PM in the evening. I thought I'd rather confirm on my night test drive.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8630.jpg
For the first time since 8 years - the Silver Cheetah now runs on HID headlamps.

And to the level of satisfaction - this is a pure surprise even though it is expected. The photos I have taken was at my favorite place inside my car parking and the same place where I tried pics of my EcoSport with HIDs.

The outcome is brilliant, I am yet to take this to long drives specifically to take snaps, but the time I drove it around and couldnt resist my happiness.

Anyhow sharing a few pics from my phone camp but the pics doesnt do any justice.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8632.jpg
Stock Fog Lamps

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8633.jpg
Stock Fog lamps with HID low beam

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-img_8634.jpg
Fog Lamps + HID Low Beam + Halogen High Beam

Will add photos to the same on the road to see the through and sure will help you understand the cut off, the carpet area etc.

Problem solved?

Last edited by peterjim13 : 29th September 2020 at 21:03.
peterjim13 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks