Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2006, 16:34   #1
BHPian

My very own Torqueinstein! (Palio 1.6 GTX)

Well, after almost a month of contemplating whether it really required a new thread or not, here I am.

No, no, no this is not a Dodge Viper or for that matter anything diesel. Its my Palio 1.6 GTX after getting a little tune up from Pyscho. After having discussed about getting my car done up for an year, I finally managed to leave the car with him. My requirements were very simple -

1. I want a car that would really spice up my daily driving routine.
2. The cabin should be absolutely quiet below 3000 rom.

Everything else was decided by Keshav. And so I got a few basic mods - head job, free flow with headers and K&N. In the process got myself a new OE clutch as the stock ones were gone. And then Psycho did his little bit to the clutch and gear box.

To cut a long story short, the car was mighty impressive. Now for my review over 2000 kms since the car was done up.

Initial impression
Well its supposed to be putting out around 10-15 bhp more now. But i'll not get into that. The car is not about the power, but rather the torque. Its a totally different breed from the OHCs. Hit the rev limit in 1st gear, shift to 2nd, you are in the meat of the power/torque band and your neck snaps. The torque steer snaps at the steering. And before you know you are at the rev limit again! Its just so addictive riding the torque wave.

Ah... and then there is the suspension. The whole front end raises when you accelrate hard. It sort of gets scary especially when you are on the palladam - pollachi wind mill road. The cross winds really do shake up the balance. A suspension job is on the cards pretty soon. If not for anything else just to contain the power.

P.S - Psycho has christened the car "Horse" because of this. The car looks like its rearing up on its hind quaters

Living with it
When I got the car, I didnt notice anything else. I was grinning from ear to ear. I was loving the exhaust note which unlike many others I have heard is a very refined sharp note. I was too busy the intial days to notice anything else.

It was after 3 weeks of driving that I started realising certain things.

The car has got amazing low end torque that I can drive it around in 2nd gear in tirupur traffic. Plonk into second gear, let go off clutch, no accelerator. Car crawls along without knocking at 10kmph. Floor the throttle and you'll hit 60 in no time.

Similarly with the exhaust... there is no noise in the cabin below 3000 rpm. Its after that the exhaust opens up. Perfect.

My 2 cents

The car might be as fast as the baleno or the OHC now. I dont know. I have not tried it. I probably will never try it too. The car might not be good on the track too. Maybe the suspension job will fix it. But i dont know as of now. So was it worth spending my hard earned dough on it?

Well heck it was. I can drive this car like i would drive a M 800 if i keep the revs below 3000 rpm. I can drive it in peak traffic without busting my left feet. To give you an idea imagine bangalore's chickpet area roads. Now imagine the same road with 10 times TVS 50s, 5 times other two wheelers! That is what I drive through daily. And when the roads clear up and there is a free strech, I can show people that this is not just another car.

Thatz all I care about. A no nonsense car that is at home in the traffic, the highways, the pot hole ridden state high ways or the twisty ghat roads. It still looks great, draws attention and goes like stink. I dont care too much about the FE. I am getting 9 kmpl inside town with my driving style. Around 14kmpl on the highway. But with a tank like build I really dont care.

I am lovin it. Period.

Special thanks to Psycho for making it happen, V1P3R & Mclaren for helping me out and Quick silver for testing it out.
Old 13th September 2006, 16:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on ur "Psyched out" ride!
Old 13th September 2006, 16:41   #3
BANNED

Great man!!! Congrats on doing the necessities for that 1.6!!
Many would be happy to follow you from here.
speedzak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2006, 18:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harrie

Heard a lot about the job (and the CLUTCH!) so I've got a second-hand (or 3rd hand) whiff of what was up for some time now. Good to hear you're having fun with the car AND can still do your daily drive in it - thats the ideal car. Torque is addictive - a lot more addictive than bhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
P.S - Psycho has christened the car "Horse" because of this. The car looks like its rearing up on its hind quaters
So you've got your own prancing horse. A couple of 'live' pics of the rearing horse, please..........

PS: Change your signature to the nitrous expression - "Totally Psyched Out!"

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th September 2006 at 18:12.
Old 13th September 2006, 18:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
So you've got your own prancing horse. A couple of 'live' pics of the rearing horse, please..........

PS: Change your signature to the nitrous expression - "Totally Psyched Out!"
Hey prancing horse sounds cool
Will try to get a few videos when I get hold of some one.

I am just waiting to save up some money and get the suspension done up. The front suspension starts creaking as it lifts up. It gets really irritating each time you floor the pedal.
Old 13th September 2006, 19:00   #6
BHPian

Ahhh!!! I have been threatening Harrie literally for the past few days that I would post a review if he did not.

For me it all started when I got an sms from Harrie that said "I have a small surprise for you!"... not to say, I called him back immediately and he told me about the Palio and it was arriving from B'Lore that day.

What I got to see couple of days after was sure a plesant surprise. Harrie had given me enough information over phone, but nothing like seeing/hearing/feeling the car in flesh. The first thing I noticed was the freeflow. The note was just right... not too loud but packs a punch where it is needed (above 3000 RPM). It really does take-off (no joke... you have to accelerate to feel the front lift-off in real dragster style) due to the suspension that cannot handle so much torque.

I did notice that the gearshift was a bit tight and notchy but that was immediately after the car came back from the garage... Harrie tells me that the clutch and gear shifting is much better now.

Like aptly said by Harrie... he had added spice (and like what!!!) to his daily driver. He may not take it to a drag but the car sure is capable of smoking a lot of bigger ones at the signal-to-signal race. Afterall... isn't that what we love to do everyday

Harrie, I agree you beat me to the mods... I am looking forward to get mine done now. You have given me motivation. That sweet sound is still lingering in my ears. Can't wait to take her out on a drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Great man!!! Congrats on doing the necessities for that 1.6!!
Many would be happy to follow you from here.
you BET!!!!
Old 13th September 2006, 19:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Your car is rather scary. I was expecting high end power, which I found. But I did not expect to sprain my neck.

Can someone tell me whether I should sue the tuner or the car owner for whiplash?
Old 13th September 2006, 19:10   #8
BHPian

Wanted to add this to my original report but got left out

A couple of my friends went to this place in the western catchment region called Pason's valley. Its a nice little resort in the midst of a reserved forest above ooty. And the road that leads to the resort climbs down steeply and is nothing more than a clearing cut in the forest and laid with boulders and stones.

One of my friend managed to convince me that the road is motorable and that cars frequently come down there. Boy oh boy. He couldnt have been more wrong. It took me 30 minutes to climb down 500 metres. Had to go really slow to avoid stones cutting into the tires.

And then there was the drive up the same road. I really thought the car had to be pulled up or I would end up cutting atleast one of the tires on the stones. Its like this, the incline is really steep and the road is a bed of stones. So you'll have to make sure you dont spin the wheels and at the same dont stall.

And what i did was

Put down the windows. Had a couple of my friends stand in front and direct me through the boulders.
Plonked the car in first. Let go off the clutch. Steered the car through the boulders. The car didnt stall even once. Not even a scratch due to flying stones.

Almost as good as a diesel car.
Old 13th September 2006, 19:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey Harrie, nice to hear about your car seems like she's turned into quite a monster eh!!

Now wondering what Khaadu will have to say about this. He might not sell off his GTX now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Can someone tell me whether I should sue the tuner or the car owner for whiplash?
Preferably both the cause & the causer!!
Old 13th September 2006, 19:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Your car is rather scary. I was expecting high end power, which I found. But I did not expect to sprain my neck.

the car owner, in my case... for the financial damage he is going to do to me in the near future
Old 13th September 2006, 20:13   #11
DRC
BHPian

Psycho...I want that torque. You don't seem to talk much here these day! PM you about it.

Harrie, you are having a gala time with your ride, aren't you?

Last edited by DRC : 13th September 2006 at 20:17.
Old 13th September 2006, 21:35   #12
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Psycho please give us Dilli wallah's a visit too
Old 13th September 2006, 22:10   #13
BANNED

Hey Harrie, Been waiting for your review on the psyched out car as I had heard about it while it was in the process of getting psyched . Don't you simply luv the torqued GTX ... I have been planning of selling mine but thats coz of a few probs that its giving me though I'm hoping that Mr.Psycho does visit Delhi shortly and maybe give me some advise , and save me from selling my GTX .

Wud luv to hear a audio of your exhaust note at full clip in 2nd & 3rd gear . PLS .....

Enjoy her ... and I call my GTX ' The Wild Bitch ' coz thats how she feels when you riding her hard . ;-)

Cheers
Old 14th September 2006, 08:48   #14
BHPian

Give me a few days, I'll post the audio and video. Gotta flick my wife's cell phone to get a few video clips.
Old 30th September 2006, 04:07   #15
BHPian

Torque!

Having a pretty dreadful day today. Been working since 7.30 in the morning. Yet to get a wink of sleep.

2.30 AM - 3000 t-shirts to be delivered to a sub contractor. The guys here tell me there are no autos available to transport the pieces.

Out goes the bass tube and parcel tray. Rear seats folded flat. T-shirts go in. Yes the boot swallowed 3000 t-shirts. Its almost 900 Kgs. No sweat. Drove down to the sub contractor's factory, delivered the garments.

Didnt even notice that the car was laden. Gotta love this Italian beauty! cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks