Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2015, 22:46   #16
BHPian

re: VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!

On a separate note, by any chance, was the catalytic convertor also removed during this mod?

Of course catcon was removed,it helps in achieving low end torque.A down pipe was fabricated instead of the original. Power figures would be like 160+ on crank and 140+ on wheels. I was also with shankar during the entire fabrication and remap process. As of now EGT is under safe limit even @high RPMs.CODE 6 promised an even better tune . This is why we prefer onsite tuners over some like petes(Its difficult for Custom Code guys to understand our roads and our needs )
Old 3rd May 2015, 10:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikku.dk View Post
Of course catcon was removed,it helps in achieving low end torque.
It doesn't help in low end torque, what it does is help reduce EGT, that is the main objective.

Quote:
As of now EGT is under safe limit even @high RPMs.CODE 6 promised an even better tune .
EGTs are being logged and it will need more data to be conclusive and any tweaks will be depend on that.
Old 5th May 2015, 19:20   #18

Pardon the amateur question, but do Code6 offer to install a wide-band sensor in the exhaust downpipe to directly monitor AFR and make sure the ratio is within safe limits? I would opine that a wide-band would be way more reliable than EGT.

Also EGT temperature changes in certain petrol engines based on octane rating, is it the case with diesel as well? Because then certainly AFR is a better measure of safe tune than EGT.
drivebyfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 20:24   #19
BHPian

EGT is the major issue with the 1.6TDi motor. Good idea to remove the cat. Are you getting black soot on full throttle with the remap.

EGT going high can cause havoc with things melting and all. AFR gauge wont help gauge egt.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th May 2015 at 21:32. Reason: Back to back posts merged, thanks
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 23:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivebyfire View Post
Pardon the amateur question, but do Code6 offer to install a wide-band sensor in the exhaust downpipe to directly monitor AFR and make sure the ratio is within safe limits? I would opine that a wide-band would be way more reliable than EGT.

Also EGT temperature changes in certain petrol engines based on octane rating, is it the case with diesel as well? Because then certainly AFR is a better measure of safe tune than EGT.
AFR is crucial for Petrol engines and maintaining the correct AFR in a gas engine is mandatory to make power and keep the engine reliable. Too rich and the engine loses power and bogs down and too lean can overheat the motor. Wideband helps here.

Diesel works differently, and the AFR can go from super lean to rich based on torque demand. At idling and when torque demand is low it will run super lean to lean and will not overheat. Increase the fueling and it will make huge amounts of torque, run it super rich and it will make even more torque, but will begin to overheat. The limit on making torque/power here is the heat when it runs rich. There is a limit as to what the engine and turbo can withstand. Monitoring the EGT is to keep the engine and turbo within safe limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
EGT is the major issue with the 1.6TDi motor. Good idea to remove the cat. Are you getting black soot on full throttle with the remap.

EGT going high can cause havoc with things melting and all. AFR gauge wont help gauge egt.
EGT is the issue when it comes to tuning any Diesel engine. Its good of VAG to have equipped this engine with a EGT sensor from the factory unlike other engines in the segment. There is no continuous stream of black smoke at WOT.

Last edited by Sankar : 5th May 2015 at 23:05.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 14:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

How is the stock suspension and the brakes holding up with the extra power?

With the stock car I do feel the need for a stiffer suspension when I accelerate or brake aggressively.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 6th May 2015, 15:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
How is the stock suspension and the brakes holding up with the extra power?

With the stock car I do feel the need for a stiffer suspension when I accelerate or brake aggressively.

Drive on,
Shibu.
The suspension and brakes are holding up well. I was thinking of a tyre upgrade soon after i bought the car, but after the recent highway drive i found the tyre and brake combination to be OK. The suspension could have been better, the way it handles uneven surfaces on sweeping corners especially. Dips and unever surface on straights are not a problem from what i have found, there is no pitching.
Old 8th May 2015, 13:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

POLO Air Guide Channel - Hot Air Intake :)

Looking at the air intake of the Polo/Vento it looks like it has a nice "cold air intake" setup from the factory. Well, the Polos sold abroad had a nice cold air intake from the factory with the air intake opening behind the front grill outside the engine compartment the India specific ones have their air intake opening in the engine bay compartment itself :(

This is what i am talking about
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-vw_polo_03.jpg

VW could have had their reasons for giving us a hot air intake i believe reverting back to the Euro spec would benefit the tuned engines. I was logging the engine parameters with VCDS and noticed that IAT was much much higher than ambient even when the car was on the move and it didn't make sense. It was this that made me look at the intake scoop of the car and noticed the revised intake design.

Euro spec Air guide channel - Opens to the front
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-247eb9258a6dc4332a6a15dc2761b4d4.png
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-1275301038.jpg

India (and some other markets) spec Air guide channel - Opens sideways inside engine bay.
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150506_183312.jpg
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150506_183326.jpg
VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-20150506_183826.jpg

I don't know if the old 1.6 TDI and the TSI have the India spec air guide channel or the Euro spec that opens to the front. If someone can let me know it will be greatly appreciated!

The part no of the Euro spec air channel guide is - 1T0805971
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 13:27   #24
Team-BHP Support

Re: POLO Air Guide Channel - Hot Air Intake :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I don't know if the old 1.6 TDI and the TSI have the India spec air guide channel or the Euro spec that opens to the front. If someone can let me know it will be greatly appreciated!
Yep, it's the India-spec design for the 1.6 TDI as well:

VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI - Bay6 Downpipe & Code6 Remap EDIT: Now sold!-wp_20150508_13_10_30_pro.jpg

What is the purpose of dividing it into another channel that opens to the engine bay?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 13:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yep, it's the India-spec design for the 1.6 TDI as well:
:(

Quote:
What is the purpose of dividing it into another channel that opens to the engine bay?
The India spec luftkanal (air guide channel) has the opening only on the side through which it draws the air from inside the engine bay. It doesn't have opening to the front like Euro, sole opening is the side.

The advantage of this could be longer service interval for the air filter, if it opened to the front like the Euro luftkanal more dust would end up in the filter warranting more frequent service owing to our dusty conditions.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 13:49   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The advantage of this could be longer service interval for the air filter, if it opened to the front like the Euro luftkanal more dust would end up in the filter warranting more frequent service owing to our dusty conditions.
I am guessing the india design is also better against hydrostatic lock. Water might not enter in the air guide channel as easy as the euro one.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 13:52   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That makes complete sense Sankar. Heck, when I had removed the front grill multiple times, I never noticed this. Got to give it to you for noticing this. Well, there are several places where VW India have cut costs. Best not to get into those here.

The part is available in Germany and elsewhere.

eBay.de

Do you intend to keep the stock filter? Or do a complete CAI with new plumbing?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 13:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I am guessing the india design is also better against hydrostatic lock. Water might not enter in the air guide channel as easy as the euro one.
Yes definitely! Easy to get water splashed upto the grill level at certain parts in Kerala when wading through bumper level flooding during monsoons.
Old 8th May 2015, 13:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
:(

The India spec luftkanal (air guide channel) has the opening only on the side through which it draws the air from inside the engine bay. It doesn't have opening to the front like Euro, sole opening is the side.

You could have changed the air filter too and could have got CAI. Guess you are already saving or have ordered one

We gotta meet! Congrats on the mods.

Team Code6 should be active here too.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 14:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That makes complete sense Sankar. Heck, when I had removed the front grill multiple times, I never noticed this. Got to give it to you for noticing this. Well, there are several places where VW India have cut costs. Best not to get into those here.
I was intrigued by why the intake air temperature was not dropping much even when the car was on the move and decided to look into the intake. Thats how i found it. Else i too wouldn't

Quote:
The part is available in Germany and elsewhere.
eBay.de
Do you intend to keep the stock filter? Or do a complete CAI with new plumbing?
I just contacted the seller to check if he can ship to India. Will update this thread.
I don't have plans to do non-stock CAI in this car. Still holding out on the purchase of an aftermarket filter as i think the stock paper type is good for a bit more power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
You could have changed the air filter too and could have got CAI. Guess you are already saving or have ordered one
We gotta meet! Congrats on the mods.
Team Code6 should be active here too.
No, JK, i didn't order the filter yet Stil on stock paper filter with the cold weather fibrous mesh removed.

--

If the GT TSI has this sort of engine bay intake then slightly better performance can be had with the grill opening air intake. Intake air temperature is a major input amongst others the ECU would read before deciding how much ignition advance to run.

Last edited by Sankar : 8th May 2015 at 14:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks