Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2006, 08:54   #1
BHPian

Freeflow Exhaust for a Lancer

I have a Lancer and planning to get a free flow. I called up Speedworks in Chennai and he has Magnaflow with him and quoted 6k and above, did not give me specifications of it though. Will check it out next weekend.

I know little about freeflow exhaust, I would like to know if I have to change entire pipe from the manifold to get better performance out of the muffler that I buy? and how much will to cost me to get the whole thing? And also will the freeflow kit reduce the mileage of the car?
Old 6th August 2006, 08:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Freeflow+headers would be the best setup.
And yes, ur mileage would go down...
Old 6th August 2006, 09:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Freeflow+headers would be the best setup.
And yes, ur mileage would go down...
Hey Karthik,

How much for the recommended setup. How bad will the mileage drop?
Old 6th August 2006, 09:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think I read somewher that mileage wont drop down but would increase a 'bit'. It will drop down coz you will be rev happy to hear the sound of exhaust music. Gurus, correct me if I am wrong.

@ 6k what all did he quote? I guess it would be just the muffler.

edit: catcon are env helpers and maybe they do slow down the exhaust. I donno much abt these and suggest waiting till gurus reply technically.

Last edited by jkdas : 6th August 2006 at 09:11.
Old 6th August 2006, 09:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Freeflow setups start from 3k upwards. It depends on what u really want.

And i doubt u can get Magnaflow for 6k, but if ur are really getting it for that price, then its great!

@JK,
He'll have to remove the catcon, so wouldn't that decrease mileage? And yea, revving hard is another fact too.
Old 6th August 2006, 09:17   #6
BHPian

Guys,

Please give me an approx cost to get the kit fitted on the car. Also please list out the components that are required to get it going. And to start with if I can drop some components out of your recommended list to reduce the cost, what would that be?
Old 6th August 2006, 09:43   #7
BANNED

[quote=karthik247]Freeflow setups start from 3k upwards. It depends on what u really want.

Hey Buddy,

I think you guys need to first understand what a freeflow is before advising someone. A free flow means headers + expansion + rear mufflers and of course the intermediate pipes. There is nothing in between. A typical full setup will cost approx 12k then depends on person to person.

A muffler change to Magnaflow or any other brand does not mean free flow, that said you will onloy get a change in the way your car sounds with a muffler. A well designed free flow will get you better power and economy when driven normally. It all depends on your driving style. Even a normal car driven hard will guzzle fuel.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 6th August 2006 at 09:56.
Old 6th August 2006, 09:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Bro,
Call me.I'll arrange u the best headers+free-flow setup u can find.
Old 6th August 2006, 09:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Bro,
Call me.I'll arrange u the best headers+free-flow setup u can find.
Hey Nitrous,

Iam currently in Bangalore with my mobile left in Chennai(oopps!) yeh!

I will call you once Iam back in Chennai. Could you PM the deal you are talking about?
Old 6th August 2006, 11:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
A free flow means headers + expansion + rear mufflers and of course the intermediate pipes. There is nothing in between. A typical full setup will cost approx 12k then depends on person to person.

A well designed free flow will get you better power and economy when driven normally. It all depends on your driving style. Even a normal car driven hard will guzzle fuel.

Viper
Viper what abt cancon? something abt it as karthik had come doubts with it plz
Old 6th August 2006, 11:39   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Viper what abt cancon? something abt it as karthik had come doubts with it plz
Hi,

In a full free flow the catcon will have to be removed. You can have a catback set up as wel. FE depends on driving style. Most people for whom I hav egot free flows made have reported a rise in their FE in normal driving conditions.

Viper
Old 6th August 2006, 13:01   #12
BHPian

As mentioned earlier just replacing the muffler isnt going to make a remarkable improvement as far as performance is concerned..in a complete free flow exhaust setup the extractor's(headers) are replaced with free flowing headers and the catcon is replaced with an expansion chamber and the tail end muffler and in between are the intermediate pipe's..if driven under standard driving condition's the free flow improve's mileage the simple fact being that exhaust gases leave the engine chamber more freely with less or no restriction...also the expansion chamber helps on buling power..and the tail end muffler ensures full free outlet of exhaust gas...but while getting a free flow exhaust make sure your getting it done from some one who knows what they are doing..and what their doing is right..because a badly designed free flow can have negative effects on the performance of your car which in turn can lead to cause some serious damage..i hope my bit helped you out to a certain extent..if you do need any other info please feel free to pm me ..cheers..happy revvin..!!
Old 6th August 2006, 22:23   #13
BHPian

Guys,

How does the FF react to Gas fitted Lancer?
Old 7th August 2006, 10:33   #14
BANNED

Hi,

It will work well. In fact it will negate the power drop you feel when switching from petrol to gas.

Viper
Old 7th August 2006, 17:00   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

It will work well. In fact it will negate the power drop you feel when switching from petrol to gas.

Viper
Ok thanks mate. Also can someone here tell me if Dream Cars does a good job on the Automech FF installation? I got in touch wtih Speedworks here in Chennai, K.D. Madan runs the place. He deals with different range of FFs but not sure which brands. Does anyone have any information on that....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks